Transporting Leslie

MartyG

I have just upgraded from a Motionsound Pro145 to a Leslie 3300. because I needed more sound.

I will be transporting the speaker in my SUV and, due to its height and weight, and am pondering loading and laying it on its side.

I am sure they don't advise laying down. Anyone doing that?

How about loading into the tailgate? Do you use a ramp, have help, or have any other solutions.

thanks

-marty

I've never laid my 3300 on it's side, but after having it apart several times, I can say there's nothing in it that would get hurt if you did. May I suggest getting a cover made for it or using packing blankets.

As for getting it in and out, I'm lucky that I usually have help. When I don't, I just man-handle it, using leverage to my advantage as much as possible. But that's a dangerous game and I try not to do that very often.

Usually at a club, if I don't have help with me, I can get the door guy to give me a quick hand, since that's really the only thing I need help with.

Thanks, Jim.

It might fit standing up if I wrangle it a bit. Already ordered the protective cover!

I usually can get help at the gig, it's the at home part I don't have covered. The Leslie weighs more than my wife. :)

-m

Edited by MartyG

Beware, I've wrangled a few heavy things in my time (though never a Leslie), and I've found that sometimes it's actually better to take the easy way out (like maybe loading it horizontally, than vertically). It certainly might be doable to wrangle it, but perhaps you might scratch or ding it more than if you hadn't.

Food for thought.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 7 years later...

hello guys...

I'm a newbie. I just ordered a Hammond SKX from Kraft Music (it's being shipped) and on the verge of getting the Leslie 3300 too from a store called Chuck Levins. I heard somewhere that you should transport it in an upright position. I came home and measured my car, which is a Subaru Forrester, and it's not going to fit upright. It's close, but still no.

So I checked the Hammond User Guide and there is nothing in it that mentions you can't slide it in your car on it's side.

I see people here on this list that bought one years ago and are tipping it to transport.

Any problems with transporting it tipped over? I plan on being VERY CAREFUL with the new 125 pound baby.

thanks,

-rob