Leslie 3300- good bottom end or sub needed?

MartyG

Haven't tried the 3300 with my XK Pro rig, yet but I have one being shipped as I write.

Goff Professional says it has great bottom end, as do a few other websites and individual testimonials on the web.

There are differing opinions, including Jim and his review here.

There are times when I will be providing the bottom end and times will have a bass player. I am sure the latter won't be a problem but I am concerned about the 3300's ability to provide the bass based on its cabinet size.

Jim mentions a subwoofer, a solution I used to use with my Motionsound Pro 145 and a powered Mackie 1501 sub. I have sold that sub because I just wasn't up to carring another 105 lb box around. Now I have a 125 lb Leslie on the way. Go figure!?!

I know several of you use the 3300 and was wondering if it was adequte when kicking bass.

If not, maybe there is a smaller sized powered sub that could be enough in a small to medium sized venue.

thanks,

-marty

I confirm there is already plenty of bass, and good ones, from the standard 3300. I have listened to this equipment for at least 20 different gigs and locations, but mainly in jazz programs and the bass sounds pretty adequate to me. But it may depend on the style of music you play with...Try it and let us know.

I tried it in a store a year ago and thought it could have better bass, but I thought the same when I played through a 122. I think the organ wasn't tweaked properly.

I play Jazz, R&B, and Blues mostly.

I am anxious to try it when it comes this week and will let you all know my take on the bottom end of the 3300, played on my organ whioch is set up for solid bass.

I already bought some NOS Tungsol 12AT7 tubes.

-marty

Edited by MartyG

Did my first gig with the 3300 last night and I can tell you I impressed the bass player big time with the bottom end of this baby. He was worried I'd be playing "down there" on the gig :)

BTW, I put a srobe light on the upper rotors and got lots of interest.

-m

Jim,

I am not playing pedals, just left hand. In this band there is a bass player so no issue anyway.

I also thought of the blacklight idea. Maybe a combination of both.

If I were smarter, I could set the srobe to flash at a different speed when the rotor is fast/slow. :)

-m