Odd pairing.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you think of it, and do a wee bit of research, Don Pullen playing with Najee and—in the course of doing so—pulling something off..... well?

I played a set with Eddie Gale's band at the Oakland Yoshi's a few months back (part of a package tribute deal to a local trumpet/pedagogy patriarch)... the evening culminated in an all-star, more or less "locals" jam--Eddie, Bobby Hutcherson, John Handy, Marcus Shelby, Steve Turre, Winard Harper--and Najee. According to my ears (in the 20 mins. or so that jam lasted), I could completely understand how a musician of Najee's particular nature could fit in with the likes of Pullen (who has/had as multifaceted a voice as any piano player in modern jazz)--Najee was a completely reputable, if not necessarily "challenging," mainstream blues player. Maybe it's a George Benson kind of deal... you put any measure of time in to music, there's a lot in there you learn, a lot you probably never use.

Not a particularly odd pairing, but I've always been fascinated by Sun Ra's work with Walt Dickerson and the apparent empathy two so different musicians seem to have shared... yes, they're both "progressives" in some sense, but Dickerson's music hews as much to dry, hard bop earthiness as Ra's does to early jazz, swing, and reverb-y cosmic abstractions.

Najee can play. He makes sucky records, but he can play.

Back in the day, Don Pullen played with Charles Williams. If Najee would have been around then, him and Charles Williams would have been working the same type circuit, I'm sure.

Different world, different market dynamics, whole lot of stuff is different now. But a lot of people who make sucky records can actually play.

And I'll tell you who it would be a mistake to try to fuck with unless you had a half-deck of aces in the hole - Gerald Albright & Kirk Whalum.

Bur, ok, odd pairing - George Coleman & Ahmad Jamal.

Ed Thigpen on John Lindberg's 2 great albums - Quartet Afterstorm & Resurrection of a Dormant Soul - also with Albert Mangelsdorff

Keith Rowe with Evan Parker, Barry Guy and Eddie Prevost- Supersession

especially Rowe with Guy wouldn't seem to make sense but for me it worked in 1984

Paul Lovens playing straight swing drums on Schlippenbach's Berlin Contemporary Jazz Orchestra - Live in Japan I think in 1996 - I am still wondering if it really him...

would always like to hear the straight or mainstream players of today play with guys like Bennink, Dresser,etc - but they don't....

And I'll tell you who it would be a mistake to try to fuck with unless you had a half-deck of aces in the hole - Gerald Albright & Kirk Whalum.

Whalum swings his ass off in a Stanley Turrentine mold on the title track of "Work to Do," the latest record by the Carl Allen & Rodney Whitaker Project (Mack Ave.) Here's a taste, though it cuts off just as the solo really gets going.

Edited by Mark Stryker