Lee Konitz live at Storyville 1954

slide_advantage_redoux

I picked up a CD release of a date that undoubtedly has been released earlier. It was recorded at George Wein's "Storyville" club in Boston in January '54 w/ Lee Konitz, Ronnie Ball (piano), Percy Heath, and Alan Leavitt. Wonderful session. Anyone have it? It is released by the label "1201 Music". I visited their website, and they have a lot of nice releases.

I love the take on "Foolin' Myself". I would like to find a vocal version of it (any other version actually). Any suggestions?

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

This originally was released on George Wein's own label 'Storyville' in vinyl days and has been continuously reissued on a number of other labels. A great album, one of Konitz' very best. These were Konitz's first dates on his own after he left the Stan Kenton Orchestra. I have the Black Lion CD of it that came out years ago.

There are actually three Black Lion CDs from this same time period. The one you mentioned

"Jazz at Storyville"

There also exists "Lee Konitz in Harvard Square" recorded in Boston April 1954 and February 1955. Ronnie Ball is on piano. Peter Ind and Jeff Morton on most with Percy Heath and Al Leavitt on a few titles: No Splice; She's Funny That Way; Time on My Hands; Foolin' Myself (2 takes); Ronnie's Tune; Froggy Day; My Old flame; If I Had You; Ablution. These are studio sessions. The CD title has alaways baffled me becasue Harvard Square is in Cambridge, NOT Boston.

The third CD is "Konitz" recorded in NYC on August 6th, 1954 with Ball, Ind and Morton. George Wein produced for his Storyville Label. Tunes area Bop Goes the Leesel (3 takes); Easy Living; Mean to Me (2 takes); I'll Remember April; 317 East 32nd; Skylark; Nursury Rhyme (4 takes); Limehouse Blues.

Enjoy!

Steve Schwartz

Jazz from Studio 4

Fridays 7p-12a

WGBH 89.7FM, Boston

www.wgbh.org

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The third CD is "Konitz" recorded in NYC on August 6th, 1954 with Ball, Ind and Morton. George Wein produced for his Storyville Label. Tunes area Bop Goes the Leesel (3 takes); Easy Living; Mean to Me (2 takes); I'll Remember April; 317 East 32nd; Skylark; Nursury Rhyme (4 takes); Limehouse Blues.

Just curious as to what people's opinions on this one were.

• 17 years later...

picking up on this thread from 2003/4, the Konitz "Storyville" discography is a total dog's breakfast - dates are uncertain/all over the place

ie The Lord discography, CD backs/slicks (Black Lion, 1201, DA music) & this online Konitz disco

https://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/0472115871-discography.pdf

There are three tracks (If I had you, Foolin' Myself & Ablution) that are on both Black Lion CDs 

1. Jazz at Storyville (Black Lion BLCD 760901) as Jan 5, 1954

2. In Harvard Square (Black Lion BLCD 760928) as Feb 55

I suspect they're the same tracks but I only have one of the CDs (#1) - timings are similar

Can anyone (who has both) check for me

Edited by romualdo

Per the recent Japanese Muzak release of Konitz's 3 Storyville releases, the 3 live tracks (If I Had You, Fooling' Myself and Ablution) is listed as recorded January 1954.  Foolin' Myself is 5:57.  There's another version of Foolin' Myself on In Harvard Square, listed as recorded in February 1955, length is 2:34.  The other two tracks do not appear again.  In Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Konitz_at_Storyville), all 3 tracks are listed as "Additional track on reissue," which could be the source of the confusion.

14 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Per the recent Japanese Muzak release of Konitz's 3 Storyville releases, the 3 live tracks (If I Had You, Fooling' Myself and Ablution) is listed as recorded January 1954.  Foolin' Myself is 5:57.  There's another version of Foolin' Myself on In Harvard Square, listed as recorded in February 1955, length is 2:34.  The other two tracks do not appear again.  In Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Konitz_at_Storyville), all 3 tracks are listed as "Additional track on reissue," which could be the source of the confusion.

I do have the recent Muzak double CD release "Complete Storyville Recordings" - I'm quite sure it's a "double up" with those three tracks (not referring to the other version of Foolin' Myself) - the dates are even more confusing with every new release that becomes available plus a significant amount of the music is studio - all of the second disc & a third of the first one

Edited by romualdo