RIP Trudy Pitts

Harold_Z

Hi Jim and everyone,

This is the first obit I have seen:

http://www.philly.com/philly/obituaries/20101220_Trudy_Pitts_Carney__jazz_organist__vocalist.html

Trudy was a friend of mine, a special person in addition to one of the groundbreaking B3 players. I will miss her.

We performed together in an organ summit at Ohio State University in April 2009 with Gloria Coleman who passed in February.

Here is a clip from that performance with Bob DeVos and Mr. C:

I have lost three people in the Hammond world this year that I knew personally.

R.I.P Trudy, Gloria, and Gene Ludwig.

Love these two quotes....

She played with jazz greats John Coltrane and Rahsaan Roland Kirk, among others, her daughter said. Actually, "she didn't play with them; they played with her. :cool: Just about whoever you could mention played with her."

and

Beyond Mrs. Carney's musical abilities, Martino said, "she was an exceptional individual who transcended her gift as an artist and became transcendent as a person. She was magnificent - she radiated the presence of love under every condition I've seen her in."

Wow.

Here is a way to help the family now and honor Trudy's memory:

http://turtlestudios.bandcamp.com/album/trudy-pitts-christmas

Trudy shared with me how happy she was to make this recent recording with her family last fall concerning the first track. Please share the link. All funds will go to help the family during this time. There is a wonderful solo organ rendition of "Silent Night", also "Naima", and "Christmas Time is Here".

• 4 months later...

I met her one time at St. Peter's Church here in NY. I forgot the event but she was very nice and very warm, and we exchanged info. I knew her only as an organist, and she was one of the better ones, so I was delightfully surprised at how much I liked her piano playing that day. She had a lot of depth and dimension and sounded like herself. Very individual player.

I had the same experience with Jane Jarvis, another underappreciated pianist. She, like Trudy Pitts, was the 'mccoy'.