Charles Mingus Black Saint and Sinner Lady Transcription

Bennysuperfly

hey, we ALL need permission from Sue.

I momentarily forgot who 'Sue' was referring to when I skimmed this thread the first time. Since I invited the OP and his question over here from a Jazz forum on Reddit, I'll provide this in case he didn't catch it either: Sue Mingus Interview.

And welcome, Ben. Stick around, we're an interesting bunch (among other ways you might describe us ^_^ ).

hey, we ALL need permission from Sue.

I momentarily forgot who 'Sue' was referring to when I skimmed this thread the first time. Since I invited the OP and his question over here from a Jazz forum on Reddit, I'll provide this in case he didn't catch it either: Sue Mingus Interview.

And welcome, Ben. Stick around, we're an interesting bunch (among other ways you might describe us ^_^ ).

Thanks

The Mingus collection at LC has complete scores for this; you can actually look at the finding aid online:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/music/eadxmlmusic/eadpdfmusic/mu004009_x.pdf

A lot of what you need is in box 3, but some is in other boxes. I looked at it yesterday.

If you think you have a serious project you are trying to get permission for from Sue Mingus, send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll tell you the next step. I can't predict how flexible she will be, but I know she wants the music played.

Related to Minugs, I listened to this yesterday:

Shelf no.

RGA 0023 (RWD 5010 A1)

Title

Newport Jazz Festival, July 5, 1956, set 6 / Charlie Mingus Jazz Workshop

Date

Event : 07/05/1956

Publication Status

Unpublished

Type

Music

Medium

Recording

Performer(s)

Willis Conover as emcee; announcements also by Louis Lorillard and Sen. Green.

Charlie Mingus, bass; Ernie Henry, alto sax; Bill Hardman, trumpet; Teo Macero, tenor sax; Mal Waldron, piano; Al Dreares, drums.

Recording Note

Recorded at the Newport Jazz Festival, Freebody Park, Newport, Rhode Island on Thursday evening, July 5, 1956.

Quality

Occasional drop-outs. Tapes are unedited

Note

The sixth of eight bibliographic records for this concert.

Work(s)

Tonight at noon.

Tourist in Manhattan.

Genre(s)

Jazz--1951-1960

Name(s)

Conover, Willis. (announcer)

Lorillard, Louis. (announcer)

Green, Theodore Francis, 1867-. (announcer)

Group(s)

Newport Jazz Festival (1956)

Charlie Mingus Jazz Workshop. (musical group)

Collection

Voice of America Music Library Collection (Library of Congress)

Physical Item

RGA 0023 (RWD 5010 A1). 1 digital sound cassette (polyester). Recording Laboratory 1995-7. Collection/Donor name: Voice of America Music Library Collection (Library of Congress)

Unbelievably good music. A great unaccompanied solo by Mal on the second track. And how much Ernie Henry with Mingus is there out there?

Bertrand.

The LoC lists on their SONIC database for Mingus:

1) A set from 7/17/55 which may have some sonic issues (have not listened yet)

2) The above mentioned set from 7/5/56

3) A set from 7/4/59

4) A set from 7/3/71

5) A set from 7/4/72

6) An all-star thing from 7/6/72

7) An all-star thing from 7/7/74 (with Dewey Redman!!!)

8) An all-star thing from 6/25/76

9) An all-star thing from 7/1/76 (with Tony Williams and Anthony Braxton!!!)

10) An all-star thing from 6/28/77

11) A set from 6/29/77 (probably one of Mingus' last gigs)

I bet there's a CD or two or three in there. I must listen to the thing with Dewey ASAP, although it's just a jam.

Bertrand.

P.S. Of course, some of this is in Rhode Island, some in NYC. Because of complications of rights with all the all-stars, maybe limiting to Mingus as leader would be necessary.

Edited by bertrand

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anybody know where I might be able to find a transcription of any of the tracks from Charles Mingus' "Black Saint and Sinner Lady" album? I've looked all over the internet, and I can't find any sheet music or chords anywhere. If anybody knows where to find a copy that would be great. Thanks.

Perhaps through Sue Mingus http://mingusmingusmingus.com/sue-mingus/music though it appears this has been suggested.

She worked very hard to overcome much piracy of Charles' music and owns the rights to much of it (if not all?)

Edited by Mike Schwartz