Jazz noir?

cih

This might already have been asked but I couldn't find it.... I would be grateful for some recommendations of jazz that is kind of noir-ish, sleazy, cinematic, urban, minor key (maybe) - the only example of what I mean that I can name is Raymond Scott's Naked City (and I only know this track )... or possibly the Bernard Hermann Taxi Driver music. The Raymond Scott one is perfect, kind of dark but neon-lit. Music that might be illustrated with pics like these: :)

post-12745-12929316554_thumb.jpg

post-12745-129293166467_thumb.jpg

I suppose you wouldn't go for the 77nd Sunset Strip soundtrack as recorded by Aaron Bell?

Otherwise, Miles Davis' music for Louis Malle's "Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud" would be hard to beat for atmospheric intensity, though maybe a bit too "modern" jazz-wise if you want to have a 40s atmosphere.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I suppose you wouldn't go for the 77nd Sunset Strip soundtrack as recorded by Aaron Bell?

Otherwise, Miles Davis' music for Louis Malle's "Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud" would be hard to beat for atmospheric intensity, though maybe a bit too "modern" jazz-wise if you want to have a 40s atmosphere.

No real preference on era, or anything else other than 'noir-ish' etc - I don't know enough to rule stuff out!

thanks - will give things a listen later, at work at the mo...

hi cih,

threads and such touching on this abound. Teasing the Korean has much input. and Big Beat is right - the Miles / Wilen is spot on!

one in particular that is available on iTunes was discussed here: murder. inc.

while not straight up noir, Irving Joseph, a bit more bouncy, was just down the road from Raymond Scott it seems - I could see a pack of hungry cannibals actually following thru to this soundtrack.

then there's this precursor to Naked City (in 3 parts):

First one that comes to mind is George Gruntz' Mental Cruelty (see my avatar), on CD from Atavistic. An obscure soundtrack album for a very obscure little film, it features Barney Wilen and Kenny Clarke in a quintet.

Amazon link

Jazz Loft

Also, I like the I Want to Live soundtrack, which includes 6 septet performances led by Gerry Mulligan with Art Farmer. Amazon link

Good suggestions thus far.

To be clear, though, most of the classic noir films had heavy, dark European orchestral scores, as exemplified by the contributions of Miklos Rozsa. Jazz was used only in some of the very later noir films or neo-noir films.

That said, I understand what you're getting at, so here are some additional ideas:

I would start with the Rhino anthologies "Crime Jazz" Vol. 1 and 2 if you can find them (they may be out of print). They will give you good ideas for further exploration.

Beyond those, two obvious choices would be Mancini's "Peter Gunn" and the Johnny Mandel/Gerry Mulligan "I Want to Live" soundtrack. The latter is probably my very favorite jazz score. The CD has both the Mandell and Mulligan LPs on one CD.

Some of the best stuff in this genre has never made it to CD, or only to pricey limited edition CDs.

I could go on, but this is a good start.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

61qzmjVHUjL.jpg

Got this one recently... it's much warmer than the "cool" noir sounds you might be looking for, but it's fine, nostalgic, recreating 40s LA, somehow (I guess that's the general idea behind Quartet West? Or at least the original one)... incorporating some music by Django/Grappelli, Jo Stafford, Chet Baker and Coleman Hawkins, as well as a short opening and closing bit from... you guessed it, "The Big Sleep", it works almost like an audio-film... very nice album!

I, too, thought of the earlier Quartet West. Zorn's Spillane is a defnite. I seem to remember that Bob Belden's Black Dahlia on Blue Note walked those lonely streets too.

for a different and perhaps more modern take on 'noir' I'd say Cinematic Orchestra's Man with a Movie Camera (imaginary soundtrack to a definitely non-noir film) and also Dolores by Bohren und der club of Gore (yes, ridiculous name but interesting music, on Spotify I think). Both influenced by electronica but also, I feel, by jazz. Both providing a noirish, 'dark' atmosphere.

Edited by mjazzg

Started slowly working my way through all these suggestions - loads of great stuff thus far, thanks everyone. 'I Want to Live' is great - as is the Miles Davis and the 'Crime Jazz' things... Just listening to 'Fly in a Bottle' and like it very much too...

'Help' - I like it - and I never thought a tuba could fit the bill! All this stuff broadens the original thing I had in mind, which was kind of panoramic, like a view of the city at night. The prowling bass notes on some of these suggestions kind of brings it right down into the street, personal (to my ears)... another one I remembered - 'Think Deep' on Coleman Hawkins 'The Hawk Flies High' (any recommendations of similar Hawkins stuff greatly appreciated!). Listening to this kind of stuff really changes the mood, and the scene - makes me feel on my drive to work that I'm more like Travis Bickle than the usual Chevy Chase :smirk:

For something more recent in this style, I'd recommend Bobby Previte's Set the Alarm for Monday (with Bill Ware on vibes, Ellery Eskelin on tenor and Brad Jones on bass). On sale right here: http://www.bobbyprevite.com/shop.html

just sampled thru itunes - very nice - haven't bought a Previte for a while - thanks for the tip.

Probably doesn't fit the boundaries of jazz noir as it's been talked about on this thread, but a nice example for me would be "Help" from "Jackie McLean and Co." Don't see how you can't get more genuinely noir than that.

Picking up on Larry's idea, I can't think of music that's got more of a bittersweet, after-hours, world-weary quality to it than Freddie Redd's score for "The Connection" (with Jackie McLean, of course) and Redd's other great Blue Note, "Shades of Redd." Tina Brook's "True Blue" comes out of this aesthetic too. What's the line between junkie music and noir?

• 6 years later...

A couple of CD compilations have hit the market since this discussion came up originally:

http://fantasticvoyagemusic.com/jazz-noire-darktown-sleaze-from-the-mean-streets-of-1940s-la/

http://fantasticvoyagemusic.com/drink-up-light-up/

No soundtracks but enjoyable jazzy "mood" music for a 40s "noire" setting.

Maybe to go with this "movie" here which is sorely missing its sound(track)? ^_^