Miles Davis - Bitches Brew Live

mjzee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first three tracks are unreleased (and uncirculated, far as I've heard), and feature only Miles backed by Chick, Dave, and Jack -- as Wayne was stuck in traffic. Seriously. By the way, just last week I noticed this was discussed in the Complete Bitches Brew box (complete with the part about Wayne being stuck in traffic).

The other tracks are the complete Isle of Wight performance that's already seen release on DVD (though I wouldn't mind having that on CD).

Although probably not the most important new Miles release of the decade (since 2/3rd of it has been out on DVD already), I'll be getting it for sure - at least at some point.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Newport: http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=690704

Not totally unheard/unknown, but no grey-market issue yet either, so this is a treat, although hell yeah I'll miss Wayne!

Isle of Wight: http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Sessions.aspx?s=700829

I've been lax on picking up the DVD and whatever other issues (legit or otherwise) this has seen, so, yeah, this one's good for me.

Certainly a worthy release, I think.

Oh damn - I'd like those 3 Newport tracks but I've got all of the Isle of Wight material courtesy of the 'big box' (it was given its own CD in that set) and the 'Miles Electric' DVD. The music is great on that session, so you must have been at another gig TTK !

Edited by sidewinder

I'll be picking this up. I'm guessing they focused on the Newport show (rather than, say, the July Antibes performances or the better-sounding Europe shows from the fall) because it's among the least-circulated by collectors.

Isle of Wight is nice. The unit sounds better than they did at the Fillmore East in June, though not nearly as good as the Cellar Door band.

Guy

The music is great on that session, so you must have been at another gig TTK !

Oh I wasn't at the gig - I meant the DVD!

If I were old enough to go to those kinds of shows, I would have been drinking scotch with hippies' parents rather than hanging out with hippies! ;)

My wife's an IOW native and was at the gig! Does she remember Miles? Not at all!

I have the Electric Miles DVD - but I will get me a copy so I won't have to put on the DVD every time I want to listen to this.

@ JSngry - the DVD is really nice, you won't regret buying it.

Ditto on both counts. It certainly is a great DVD, and the numerous interview segments were very enjoyable. Jim, if you don't have this DVD, you really should scare one up sometime.

My wife's an IOW native and was at the gig! Does she remember Miles? Not at all!

Most people seem to have remembered the Tiny Tim show and switched off when Miles came on ! :rolleyes:

If I were old enough to go to those kinds of shows, I would have been drinking scotch with hippies' parents rather than hanging out with hippies! ;)

There was a documentary on TV the other night showing some IOW 1970 footage (a bit of Miles) with one of the local old ladies serving tea and cucumber sandwiches to a gaggle of hippies. As a freebie too. :lol:

Will definitely get it, the IoW performance is terrific!

And just as Mike, I'll be happy to have it audio only, as I rarely put on DVDs...

Most people seem to have remembered the Tiny Tim show and switched off when Miles came on ! :rolleyes:

There was a documentary on TV the other night showing some IOW 1970 footage (a bit of Miles) with one of the local old ladies serving tea and cucumber sandwiches to a gaggle of hippies. As a freebie too. :lol:

Some fun documentation is in the Hendrix IoW film, too... similar stories... also how the small population of that island was virtually run over by the thousands and thousands of people attending these concerts (and they all had to get there with a ferry, I assume...)

also how the small population of that island was virtually run over by the thousands and thousands of people attending these concerts (and they all had to get there with a ferry, I assume...)

I don't think the natives knew what was going to hit them - although there had been a Festival there in 1969 (with John Mayer Indo Jazz Fusions on the bill, along with main headliner Bob Dylan). Lots of French anarchists wanted to get in for free, too. The ferry to IOW goes from Portsmough, of course - so not a long trip.

Edited by sidewinder

Will this be on Sony?

Amazon lists the following tracks:

1. Miles Runs The Voodoo Down

2. Sanctuary

3. It s About That Time/The Theme

4. Directions

5. Bitches Brew

6. It s About That Time

7. Sanctuary

8. Spanish Key

9. The Theme

Since the first three are from that Newport gig without Wayne, this means tracks 4-9 are what you used to be called 'Call It Anythin''. Pete Losin gives the same track listing, so it must be correct. I'll try to watch the DVD again to make sure.

Bertrand.

• 1 month later...

Just got this and it's really worthwhile even though I already have the DVD of Isle of Wight. Without Wayne to pick up any slack, Miles really blisters on the first three tracks. As to the last 6 cuts: am I the only one who finds they react differently to a performance when they can see it?

Just got this and it's really worthwhile even though I already have the DVD of Isle of Wight. Without Wayne to pick up any slack, Miles really blisters on the first three tracks. As to the last 6 cuts: am I the only one who finds they react differently to a performance when they can see it?

Yes, both Miles and Jack cook on the first 3 tunes!

As to reacting differently based on medium, I'm not sure. Just glad to have it anyway I can get it. Which causes a more positive reaction in you?

Yes, both Miles and Jack cook on the first 3 tunes!

As to reacting differently based on medium, I'm not sure. Just glad to have it anyway I can get it. Which causes a more positive reaction in you?

Usually the video.

I didn't really appreciate the Isle Of Wight gig until I saw the DVD a few years back. Something about having the interviews with the musicians and the back story of the gig...plus being able to watch that crazy band...helped the music to hit me more than it had previously.

Finished one listen of the disc today, and the thought that kept (and kept) going through my head was - how could anybody in their right mind call this music "commercial" and/or "rock"? There's waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too much breaking up of the beat and overall abstraction for it to even be semi-any of that...

Finished one listen of the disc today, and the thought that kept (and kept) going through my head was - how could anybody in their right mind call this music "commercial" and/or "rock"? There's waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too much breaking up of the beat and overall abstraction for it to even be semi-any of that...

You're right of course, technically, but the people who called it "commercial" and/or "rock" were just pissed cuz it wasn't jazz like THEY thought it should be anymore. So, what easier scapegoat could there be, but to blame "commercial" motivations (he's a "sell-out"), or else blame all that "wretched music" the "kids" are (were) listening to.

Happens with every generational musical shift (Punk, Grunge, Rap only being three of the most recent) -- logic on the part of those old enough to want to THINK about music, simply goes out the window. Easier to blame what you don't like, than to try and understand that which isn't (yet) familiar. And besides, IT WAS REALLY FUCKING LOUD, SO IT MUST BE BECAUSE OF THAT DEVIL ROCK N ROLL, or something like that - doncha know.