Cassavetes Staccato Box Set

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got this for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and have watched the first three episodes. So far I'd say it's hipper and jazzier than Peter Gunn (although it was created in response to that show)... the NYC exterior shots that they drop into the shows also give it a grittier, more TV-noir look than Gunn had. Some of the same West Coast jazz musicians that were in Gunn float through this show as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that enough time has passed for the thrill of ownership to have worn off, I'm wondering if those of you who have this can comment on the quality of the episodes.

That is to say, I like Cassavetes and I like jazz, but is that enough? Are the shows any good?

I'm giving a little thought to spending my LivingSocial $20 Amazon gift card on this. Amazon's price has risen to $20.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Johnny-Staccato-starring-John-Cassavetes/dp/B003Z3C728/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I19BTJECYXMEUO&colid=RVSBV717YT9

• 2 months later...

Amazon is selling this at 57% off: $14.99. I'm tempted, but have too much on the "to watch" pile as it is. Is the jazz content high?

Amazon's price has risen to $20.99.

http://www.amazon.co...lid=RVSBV717YT9

I think I noticed just the other day that the price had risen to $24.99, but today I see that a market seller has it for $18.41.

I have been watching this. Not every episode is great, but if you like jazz, Cassavetes, detective stories, and Eisenhower/Kennedy era swank, there is much to like about this show.

How hard is it to become a licensed PI? I think I want to open shop and bill myself as "Television's Jazz Detective."

I picked it up a couple of months ago.

Agree with this analysis.

• 1 month later...

Now that enough time has passed for the thrill of ownership to have worn off, I'm wondering if those of you who have this can comment on the quality of the episodes.

That is to say, I like Cassavetes and I like jazz, but is that enough? Are the shows any good?

I'm giving a little thought to spending my LivingSocial $20 Amazon gift card on this. Amazon's price has risen to $20.99.

http://www.amazon.co...lid=RVSBV717YT9

GA Russell, if you received Walter Wanderley's "Rain Forest" as a Christmas gift in 1966, you would be a FOOL not to hop on this. And that is a compliment, not an insult!

You guys convinced me! Ordered it today.