Jim Pepper

White Lightning

Just saw 'Afro-Indian Blues' at Half Price the other day. Is this any good? The only other Pepper I have is on a TuTu cd 'Munster Festival' with Mangelsdorff, Schofield et al. Don't see his stuff around that often on the shelves.

There is mention of it in the Pepper thread at AAJ. Around post #109 or so. Sounds interesting!

Just saw 'Afro-Indian Blues' at Half Price the other day. Is this any good? The only other Pepper I have is on a TuTu cd 'Munster Festival' with Mangelsdorff, Schofield et al. Don't see his stuff around that often on the shelves.

There is mention of it in the Pepper thread at AAJ. Around post #109 or so. Sounds interesting!

Thanks Aggie87.

Well I wandered over to Half Price today and low and behold, its was still there, so I took a stab at it (the 20% Labor day sale brought it down to $5!) I have to say that there are a lot of vocals. Maybe too much for my tastes. I liked the track that was on the TuTu cd but this sounds like a totally different affair. I'm not entirely sure if I really like it yet. I'll have to spin it some more and see...

• 4 months later...

Jim Pepper & Eagle Wing: Remembrance / Live At Int. Jazzfestival Münster TUTU 888 152 Recorded 5/19/90 w/ Jim Pepper (ts, voc, perc); Bill Bickford (el-g); Ed Schuller (b); John Betsch (dr) Caren Knight (voc)

»One of the most lyrical concerts of Jim I've ever heard!« - Peter Wiessmueller, producer

I'm on my first spin of this concert recording, and think it's wonderful! There's a good bit of chanting for those that may be averse to that, but DAMN it's emotional, beautiful music.