Lennie McBrowne albums discussion

I have to admit this is the kind of reissue that we should actually be grateful to the Andorrans and their ilk for producing. A group that was ignored through all of those OJC reissues series, I'm sure there are people curious about them.

Gloria Smyth might be somewhat of an acquired taste but I do enjoy her Pacific Jazz album. Too bad it will probably never see the light of day.

Of course I am sure these are needle drops but if you can't find it in blog-land, here's a chance to hear what this group sounded like.

I have to admit this is the kind of reissue that we should actually be grateful to the Andorrans and their ilk for producing. A group that was ignored through all of those OJC reissues series, I'm sure there are people curious about them.

It's not just OJC/Riverside, McBrowne also made an album under his own name for Pacific Jazz. I had his Riverside and Pacific Jazz albums back in my LP days. Both are included on this Fresh Sound set. They're nice dates, but not exactly earth-shaking.

This is interesting news! It was about time that music was reissued.

I'll probably skip the double CD release since I have all this material on vinyl and don't think it is 'earthshaking' as J.A.W. already mentioned.

Couple of things:

FreshSound has been the best reissue label for several years by now. And the most consistant. Don't know for sure if they needledrop or not all their CDs but the sound of their releases has been excellent.

And the expression Andorran label should be abandoned.

The expression applies now to labels that are produced - for a vast majority - in Spain.

Jazz in Andorra does not exist even if particular fiscal laws made it convenient for a couple of labels to use an Andorra adress several years ago.

I have been to Andorra a number of times these past couple decades and believe me there is no trace of any place dealing with jazz there. The two or three stores where you can buy records stock only a handful of jazz CDs. You can get interesting deals in Andorra on Cuban cigars, French perfumes, electronic appliances and other goodies but looking for jazz CDs is a plain waste of time.

Better enjoy the scenery which is splendid!

I think that unless you are Andorran and take great offense to the implication of illegality/lack of ethics, it shouldn't really matter.

I find it interesting that the Teddy Edwards reissues include other Gloria Smyth tracks from her Pacific Jazz release. So they have a copy of it but obviously only think of it as something to use as an add-on to reissues of better known artists. At least people get to hear it but inevitably there will be orphan tracks.