Nathan Davis

romualdo

I have this Blakey DVD and I have mixed feelings about it. The video quality is significantly below most Jazz Icons DVD's; it's pretty grainy, kind of inexcusable for 1965 I would think. Yes, there is some hot playing, and it's interesting enough, but I just find the solos too long, even for players of this calibre. Freddie Hubbard blows high, hard, and long, and it is no surprise that later on he would blow out his chops. I also find it curious that Hubbard and Nathan Davis have such long solos but Jaki Byard's are relatively short. This one is good to see, but the earlier Blakey Jazz Icons DVD (Morgan, Golson, Timmons, Meritt) is much better, IMHO.

OTOH the Art Farmer w Jim Hall DVD mentioned above is an absolute joy, one of the highlights of the Jazz Icons series, IMO.

I am a HUGE Nathan Davis fan, I couldn't wait to see this dvd, my heart was pounding with anticipation, only to be let down. He was tentative, his ideas and technique were not as loose and fluid as they would become later on. You could clearly see he was in awe of if not intimidated by Hub. And IMHO,it's not that N.D.'s solos were too long, but that they became at some point monotonous/redundant(I guess that means they were too long LOL). Hub played a beautiful rendition of Blue Moon

Edited by mrjazzman

Check this at Discogs!! ;)

or at http://www.inandout-records.com/artists/davis-nathan/davis-nathan.html

R-2895053-1306102033.png

ROOTS - Salutes The Saxophone

Personnel:

Arthur Blythe(alto saxophone)
Nathan Davis (tenor and soprano saxophones)
Chico Freeman (tenor andsoprano saxophones)
Sam Rivers (tenor saxophone)
Don Pullen (piano)
Santi Debriano (bass)
Tommy Campbell (drums)

Facts:

Recorded at the Leverkusen Jazz Festival, where this outstanding all-star saxophone repertory band made its d?but in 1991, this album features ROOTS celebrating some of the great saxophonists in jazz with memorable versions of the great compositions with which they are associated.
"What ROOTS celebrates so enjoyably... is the sheer vitality, adaptability and diversity of the jazz tradition itself, providing as it does an ever-expanding body of work to be interpreted anew by each succeeding generation of musicians."

(Chris Parker, Jazz Correspondent , Daily Telegraph Weekend)

| LP 'Limited Audiophile Edition'

• 6 years later...

R-2981609-1464993603-9699.jpeg.jpg

Alright so I am now the happy owner of this one. But to be honest: I did not expect this to be this good. I mostly bought it in my neurotical obsession to collect Mal Waldron's music. I thought it's rareness made it to be wanted this much. Its a pity the SQ is not optimal but still.... Every musician on it seems to be in prime form. Mal's great, so is Art Taylor. Jimmy Woode is insanely good (really he rocks this record) but also Davis: I am a happy owner of The Hip Walk and Happy Girl but on those records he sounds like a fine bop player. Here: he seems to have evolved a little more. His playing is clever but also dark and full of emotion. The interaction between the whole band is lovely. I am really curious if a really good remaster could make this record even better.

So this record woke up my interest in Davis again. What's your guys opinion on these records:

Peace Treaty

Rules of Freedom

Makatuka

6th Sense in the 11th House