New Year Resolutions:

Guest Chaney

Anyone care to share new year plans on making your pitiful self a better person?

I'll be trying to whip my 43 year old body into shape. (No easy task as I've recently hurt my back, left knee and right wrist. ALREADY with the excuses!)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine's the same as yours. I've managed to alter my diet and actually turn my weight around (my last year's resolution), though it took most of the year to do it. Now it's time to get the other side of the coin in line and start an exercise program. Although I walk regularly, it's time to do more, and I need to increase my aerobic exercise (I can only increase my heart rate so much by following politics!) and start mild weight training again. If I keep working on my weight by diet alone, it'll take forever, and at 46, I don't have forever. Sure would be nice to reduce enough for my knees to let me start running again...

I was about to start a similar thread.

My resolutions over the last couple years were all diet related, but this year I require more reform and I've got a longer list.

1. Get another job. This one is important as I'm not doing very well and certainly not enjoying what I'm doing right now.

2. Stop sweating stuff beyond my control. This one always has to be relearned.

3. Be more flexible regarding change. This is difficult enough to do, and it becomes more so as we age. Time for me to work on this aspect of my personality.

4. Stop buying cds. I'm serious about this one. I'll pick up some of the new RVGs/Conns when they are issued but that's it. I shall now acquire by exchange rather than through purchase. I need to save the $200/month I spend on this stuff.

5. Get more reading done.

Last year's resolutions (as far as I can remember) were:

1. Don't go above 170 lbs. FAILED I'm 173 lbs.

2. Break USCF 2000 chess rating. Accomplished.

3. Do better at my job. FAILED

Can't remember the others.

Regarding New Year's Resolutions in general:

They definitely become more important as I get older. Why? There's more of me which requires reform! When I was younger, I was still developing, but in later years when one's identity is quite solid, all these bad habits strengthen.

Good luck everyone on your resolutions.

4.  Stop buying cds.  I'm serious about this one.  I'll pick up some of the new RVGs/Conns when they are issued but that's it.  I shall now acquire by exchange rather than through purchase.  I need to save the $200/month I spend on this stuff. 

Last year was kinda tight so I bought less that year then any year in the past 10 years. This year was the second lowest in qty. :lol:

5.  Get more reading done. 

I've been driving to work, instead of taking the train, so my reading has really dropped off.

1.  Don't go above 170 lbs.  FAILED  I'm 173 lbs.

I weigh less now than last year at this time, so the diet is doing fine!

As for work...I need more customers for my day gig, and I really have to follow through and record a CD of my guitar music so I can tour a bit.

Edited by 7/4

I have modest resolutions this year.

Finish a photography project that has been stalled for a couple of months, involving jazz groups in their natural habitat [local clubs] in available light.

Embark on an odyssey in search of meaningless sex, spanning the continent. [planning the odyssey will take months. I hate to have the wrong stuff with me when I travel.]

Stop the step-down stop-smoking regime I have been using to quit cigarettes. My plan involves one skinny tipped cigar, a la Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns in the evening, with a glass of red wine. It stopped my smoking cigarettes, but now my apartment smells like a low-class saloon.

Wear more stylish shoes. I've been wearing unattractive comfortable shoes and I feel I've let down my fellow ladies, whose legs look better than mine do, even though they're not. One must suffer for beauty.

Get rid of that ridiculously expensive sequinned tube-top that I have never worn. It looked really good on, in the store, but not so good in real life. OK, I admit it. It was a mistake. To Good Will it goes.

Be nicer to my friends and walk away from those who contribute nothing but negative vibes and quit thinking that they're going to change into nice people.

Limit my drinking to parties, dances, weddings and other social functions.

.....aahhhhh, New Years Resolutions... My method is to make several resolutions each year but I've found that if they are not realistic, I find myself making the same ones over and over again. One of mine last year was to lose weight, I went from 225 to 205 and want to get to 195, which I will. I'm about 6'2 so the 225 pounds don't look so bad but I feel uncomfortable some times. I went the low carb route, cutting out bread, pasta and potatoes for a while (I love them all). Once again, I wanted it to be realistic, so I cut back on them instead of telling myself I couldn't eat them at all. It seems to working for me; moderation is the KEY! I also resolve to exersize and run more but I had surgery yesterday, so that will be on hold for a couple months (If this message is all over the place, it's because I'm still medicated :wacko: . I am also working on a jazz photograph web site that I hope to have up and running by the end of March!!!

I could never make the resolution to quit buying CD's as this is my only vice and it has not proven to be harmful to my health at this point. I don't smoke and rarely drink (good wine ^_^ being the exception).

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO EACH OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES :lol:

Mark

Sheldonn,

Your problem is that you have no vices you can resolve to quit. I'm almost annoyed at you for being as near-perfect as it's possible for a human to be.

Exercising more is always good and losing a little more weight, if that's what you want, would be good too, just to show yourself you can.

The site you mentioned sounds interesting, so good luck on setting it up.

I guess the thing is to choose something that is actually within the realm of possibility. If we, again, choose goals impossible to achieve, here we'll be next year, still smoking, drinking too much, being a jerk to all and sundry and failing at our annual resolution to improve.

Let's pick stuff we can actually do and then do that..

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Edited by patricia