Tristano Robots

Big Wheel

it ain't just Tristano, though that's quite hilarious (I remember Dick Katz saying that somebody was gonna release a recording of "Bird coughing.")

on the other hand, for the little time I spend in Tristano's presence, I was ready to take the cool-aid, just so he would accept me. He had that effect (though jeez, I was only, like, 22) -

I have those tapes with Tristano on Fender Rhodes.

Bertrand.

No idea if that story about Tristano & the Rhodes & The Supremes is true or not (I'm quite skeptical, but hell, you never know...), but - Tristano did send a letter into Down Beat claiming that Diana Ross was the best jazz singer since Billie Holiday. And it got published, that letter did.

I have those tapes with Tristano on Fender Rhodes.

Bertrand.

No idea if that story about Tristano & the Rhodes & The Supremes is true or not (I'm quite skeptical, but hell, you never know...), but - Tristano did send a letter into Down Beat claiming that Diana Ross was the best jazz singer since Billie Holiday. And it got published, that letter did.

I was there when it arrived.

What was people's response upon reading it?

I have no idea, though it was quite clear that Lennie meant what he said to be ex cathedra controversial. Why else send it to Down Beat?

IIRC, Dan Morgenstern, my then-boss, found the letter both interesting and somewhat amusing -- not the opinion expressed per se but the ex cathedra aspect. OTOH no one who knew of or knew Tristano could have been surprised by that tone; OTOH it was surprising that he decided to bestir himself in that manner on those grounds.

• 9 years later...