Chet Baker - Baker's Holiday, Verve SACD

Dmitry

Just bought this title on a Hybrid SACD from Verve, and compared it to my late 1990s Japanese MiniLP cd.

The original recording quality appears to have been far from perfect in terms of the microphone positioning, etc, with only Baker in the middle, while the rest of the band is divided sharply between the r & l speakers, almost not mixing. The horns are on the left, while the rhythm section is on the hard right.

For what its worth, the sacd sounds fuller, with more definition, than the Japanese cd, but the difference is not tremendous. I did not play the red book layer of the sacd, so can't comment on its sound.

The music itself leaves much to be desired, imho, with Chet's singing lacking in pretty much everything that these songs contained when sung by Billie Holiday, on both the musical, as well as the spiritual levels. Just to pile on, the arrangements are nothing to write home about also. I don't know what the circumstances and purpose of this project were originally, but this is not one of my favorites of Chet's. Perhaps if the whole album [nary 30 min. long] were instrumental, I would have enjoyed it more.

Also, the packaging of the Verve SACD sucks; the art department massacred the original cover, cutting off the edges of the original LP cover art, and inside the booklet there are some tasteless cartoons, which are supposed to represent Holiday, the band, etc. The graphics are poor.

Certainly not among Chet's best but it is not really THAT bad. A bit too respectful IMO (same goes for Jimmy Mundy's arrangements).

I have the gatefold Limelight mono original vinyl and am not bothered by microphone placements :w

The liner notes fail to give the name of the engineer who recorded this.

Just bought this title on a Hybrid SACD from Verve, and compared it to my late 1990s Japanese MiniLP cd...

...The music itself leaves much to be desired, imho, with Chet's singing lacking in pretty much everything that these songs contained when sung by Billie Holiday, on both the musical, as well as the spiritual levels.

Is this the ne plus ultra of audiophilia - trying to find the best sounding version of music you don't like ?

The original recording quality appears to have been far from perfect in terms of the microphone positioning, etc, with only Baker in the middle, while the rest of the band is divided sharply between the r & l speakers, almost not mixing. The horns are on the left, while the rhythm section is on the hard right.

Very common approach in those days, unfortunately. I'm sure the mono version sounds better.

Certainly not among Chet's best but it is not really THAT bad. A bit too respectful IMO (same goes for Jimmy Mundy's arrangements).

I have the gatefold Limelight mono original vinyl and am not bothered by microphone placements :w

I used to have the original vinly also, but I've forgotten... did the liners include the "cartoons" Dmitry refers to?

What do you guys think of the Baby Breeze?

I think it's easily the stronger of the two Limelight recordings. Unlike Baker's Holiday, I think the addition of the other horn soloists on Baby's Breeze really brings out the best in Chet. Frank Strozier in particular I think spurs Baker in the way he did Conte Candoli in the Shelly Manne quintet of the time. While Baker and Strozier share solo honors on the instrumental tracks, pianist Hal Galper leaves his mark by way of his pen, providing some catchy melodic frameworks for blowing. I do however find that drummer Charlie Rice is sometimes, especially at tempo, overly busy and distracting.