When did you buy your first CD?

Dmitry

The first cds I bought were Deep Purple - The House of Blue Light, and Bryan Ferry - Bete Noire.

It was in the fall or winter of 1990, in Tower Records on East 4th St, corner of Broadway.

Most cds were $11.99, and came in long cardboard sleeves over the jewel boxes. I was making $4.25/hr. :rolleyes:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't remember the exact moment but I bought a few Blue Note CDs that had ended up in bargain bins as cutouts in the late '80s, either 1987 or '88. At the time I didn't own a CD player but knew one was on my horizon. One of those titles was Paul Chambers' "Bass on Top." On a related note, I was working in a classical record store in Champaign, Ill., in 1986-87, and at the beginning of my time the store was about 85 to 90 percent LPs and 10-15 percent compact discs, but when I left after some 21 months, the percentages were completely reversed, with about 80 percent the space now given to CDs and 20 percent to LPs but fading fast; the first time I came back to the store for a visit in 1988, the LPs had all but vanished.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Having had no end of nasty experiences in the previous 15 years with vinyl (I could only afford inexpensive turntables) CD was a godsend.

I bought three CDs on the day I bought my player (on HP!) - Ravel/Chausson Piano Trios, Canteloube's Songs of the Auvergne and a Julian Bream disc of guitar music by Albeniz and Granados.

I can't recall my first jazz CD - until about 1990 there weren't that many around compared with classical. Suspect it was an ECM. For a while I was buying classical on CD and jazz/folk/rock on vinyl.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I was given a CD player and a few CDs in 1987 as a graduation present. I think there was a Columbia jazz sampler as well. I bought a few CDs over the summer, including some Beatles. But I didn't have the CD player with me on a regular basis, so I actually bought a fair number of cassette tapes from 1987-89. It wasn't until 1989-90 that I started buying CDs on a fairly regular basis.

As far as the (jazz) collecting mania, that seems to have started around 2000.

Ah, memories. I worked "with" Sony on the CDP-101 (1st consumer player) project before release.

(My work was not of a form that makes me inclined to take any blame for the product.)

Anyway, I had a few test CDs before I could buy anything to play them on.

Edited by BeBop

'85...

first couple were black triangle (whatever those were ^_^) Japanese 'best of Blue Notes vol 1 & 2', 'Aja' and Joe Williams 'Nothin' But The Blues' as I had the vinyl and wanted to know what these things sounded like. the only place you could buy them in Cleveland at the time was a little import store in the Arcade. Those few were probably lunch money for a month.

did not get a player of my own for some time - a guy at work bought a Sony D5 (i think) and we would listen via headphones or bring it around to our respective apts and hook it up with the cheapo RCAs. we were all completely blown away by them.

being pretty much a neophyte to Blue Note I cranked that Vol. 2, taped for the car, endlessly!!

Senior year of high-school, 1987, didn't even own a CD player then (wouldn't for 3-more years, though fortunately I had roommates in college that had them). Got this Jimi Hendrix disc for the content, which wasn't ever released on LP, at least not in the U.S. (far as I know). Had to have somebody tape it for me a month or two after I got it, before I could even just give it a listen.

post-171-129416171837_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I refrained from buying CDs for a VERY long time - simply because I did not like the medium (of course I have since made my peace with it - for practical reasons, evidently - but still prefer vinyl whenever I can).

But I distanctly remember the VERY first CD(s) I ever bought:

the 8-CD box set "Deutsches Jazz Festival 1954/55" released by Bear Family in 1990.

As I figured I would NEVER get to hear that music any other way (rightly so because most of it was issued there for the first time and the EPs and 10-inchers of the "rest" originally released was rare as hens' teeth and simply out of reach price-wise) I just had to have it. So I snapped this set up as soon as it hit the market in 1990 but it took me several years before I could finally listen to it as I did not buy a CD player until 3 years later or so.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I have no idea. Still trying to figure out which 5 albums changed the way I listened.

... I think you guys are making this all up and I'm just not in on the joke. :ph34r:

Ah! Rumbled!

OK, I'll own up. It was 1885. Archve field recordings of stirring tunes sung in the Paris Commune 14 years before.

My first CDs were Mel Lewis's Soft Lights and Hot Music and Bill Holman Band on JVC, bought in 1991. (I saw both bands at Wigan at about that time.) For a few months I had nothing to play the CDs on, as, having made the critical error of thinking jazz wouldn't be extensively covered on CD,* I had not long before invested in a new deck/radio/tape player and was reluctant to have to replace it so soon! :(

*See Bev on this thinking in post #5.

Edited by BillF

I think it was either Hank Mobley's 'No Room For Squares', Chick Corea's 'Now He Sings...' or Hilton Ruiz 'El Camino (The Road)' back in 1989. They were about half the price in Toronto compared to what they cost at the time in the UK ! (plus ca change..)

Bought that great Cedar Walton 'Spectrum' complilation around that time too. And Elvin's 'Live At The Lighthouse', for my old Nakamichi CD player (first one I ever got). At the time I had assumed that this would eventually take over from my vinyl correction, however I was totally wrong..

Edited by sidewinder

I have no idea. Still trying to figure out which 5 albums changed the way I listened.

... I think you guys are making this all up and I'm just not in on the joke. :ph34r:

Ah! Rumbled!

OK, I'll own up. It was 1885. Archve field recordings of stirring tunes sung in the Paris Commune 14 years before.

I have a couple of copies of that as well, including the limited edition Japanese reissue with bonus tracks and original cover photograph by Louis Ducos du Hauron. Far from my earliest, though.

Ah! Rumbled!

Ah, sounds like you got the reissue. I have the original "deep pit", burnt sienna and cerulean label version. With OBI.

Ah! Rumbled!

Ah, sounds like you got the reissue. I have the original "deep pit", burnt sienna and cerulean label version. With OBI.

To be honest, even though I got the CD, I still prefer the cassette. A warmer, more natural sound.

I'm pretty sure it was 1990 for me. I tried to ignore CD's for as long as possible, having been heavily active in buying vintage jazz LP's throughout the 80's. I saw a Sony 5-disc carousel player, gave in to the temptation, and was soon selling LP's. I think my first CD's were OJC's... Miles on Prestige, probably.