Ever Vacation In Cooperstown?

Pondering a trip to the HOF at some point over the next few years....is the HOF a one-day visit, or is there enough to keep you busy for more than that?

Also, local lodging, are we talking pricey or affordable, generally speaking?

And finally, what else of note is there in the area to sell to those whose idea of a good time does not necessarily include a steady diet of baseball memoribilia?

As always, thaanks in advance!

I also did Cooperstown a long time ago. It's great fun if you are a baseball fan. On the basis of that trip, I wouldn't see any compelling reason to stay there more than one day, but maybe something else has sprung up in the area in the last 30 years or so.

Pondering a trip to the HOF at some point over the next few years....is the HOF a one-day visit, or is there enough to keep you busy for more than that?

Also, local lodging, are we talking pricey or affordable, generally speaking?

And finally, what else of note is there in the area to sell to those whose idea of a good time does not necessarily include a steady diet of baseball memoribilia?

As always, thaanks in advance!

I did it a little over 2 years ago with my then 11 year old son. It's definitely worth the trip, although the Hall of Fame was less "regal" than I would have expected. It's in a cute little town, with several better than average restaurants and lodging that is priced way higher than it should be. I drove from my neck of the woods just outside of NYC, so I stayed in Oneonta (just outside of Cooperstown) for alot less money. Parking was difficult to come by, but they do have lots from which you can take a bus directly to the Hall. Cool place which is good for 2 days max. Maybe you can combine this with a trip to another part of New York?

FWIW, you'll run into more Red Sox fans in Cooperstown than you can shake a stick at :)

I think I recall from another thread that you're not an opera fan, but Glimmerglass Opera, a fine summer festival, is based in Cooperstown and if it were me, I would coordinate a trip that would include a production.

The Glimmerglass website has links to other attractions, cultural and otherwise, that might be of help to you: Go here:

http://www.glimmerglass.org/index.html

Then to "The Glimmerglass Experience" and then "Cooperstown Experience."

I stayed near Cooperstown one winter night when I was working on a story about Hank Jones, who lived just a stone's throw from there. Unfortunately, there was no time in the schedule for me to get to the HOF -- I hope to get there some day. It is quite beautiful country up there.

Edited by Mark Stryker

We spent a couple of days there - this was about ten years ago - and that was just about right. One day to check out the HOF and one day to walk about the town. Didn't get to the Glimmerglass Opera though - that might have been worthwhile. And make sure you bring some warmer than summer clothing, if you're there in the summer. We went in July and it got chilly in the late afternoons and evenings - as opposed to about three hours away where we live, which was much warmer.

edit - the cool weather thing could have been an anomaly. That was the only time I've been in that area of N.Y.

Edited by paul secor

hey Jim, you know who else lives up there? IIRC, the surviving daughter of one of the Boswell sisters; can't remember her name but about 15 years ago she contacted me when she was trying to set up a Boswells museum (might been Vette's kid?). So you can make this into a musical/sports tour. You can't go wrong.

just found it:

Boswell Museum

P.O. Box 159

Springfield Center, NY 13468

607-264-3321

I could be wrong but I think it's in the vicinity.

Cooperstown's definitely worth a trip if you're a baseball fan - that damn museum brought me to tears from all the childhood memories it triggered. Town's very cute as well, though I think a day there would more than suffice. We just passed through about 15 years ago on a NYC-to-LA road trip.

hey Jim, you know who else lives up there? IIRC, the surviving daughter of one of the Boswell sisters; can't remember her name but about 15 years ago she contacted me when she was trying to set up a Boswells museum (might been Vette's kid?). So you can make this into a musical/sports tour. You can't go wrong.

just found it:

Boswell Museum

P.O. Box 159

Springfield Center, NY 13468

607-264-3321

I could be wrong but I think it's in the vicinity.

Sounds like fun. Thanks!

I went in 1990 with friends...in february so there wasn't alot of people....and the hall with the busts was closed. Even with that- I went 2 days- because I'm a baseball fanatic....it was awesome...I looked at EVERY exhibit.....we stayed in Oneonta- which is a college town- so restauants and bars were cheap- as was the hotel. Easy drive into Cooperstown. When I do it again, I'll want to stay in a B&B in Cooperstown and also go during baseball season- see some minor league games...I believe Oneonta is low A ball (NY-Penn league) so they start their season mid-late June. There's also youth baseball tournaments happening over the summer so I wouild try to avoid them so you miss the kids- lots of running/yelling going on....my two nephews played in those tournaments and it was "intense" with the kids.

Anyways- my thoughts.

I went to Cooperstown in 2005 with my boys and can echo much of the same sentiment as the above posters. Great place to visit - for a day.

I camped in a local NY State Park - Lake Glimmerglass - so I can't comment on the cost of rooms. Cooperstown was a nice place. The area in general seemed very nice, picturesque, quaint, etc

As for staying in the area longer, you're coming from fairly far away, I believe - so relatively speaking you're close to many other attractions. When I was there I visited Howe Caverns and Secret Caverns. Saratoga is about 2 hrs drive - there's a performing arts center there and also a pretty famous horse race track. The giant Adirondack Park is 3-4 hours drive if outdoors type activities are your bag. The New York State Finger Lakes area is very pretty with lts of boating, fishing and several nice wine trails.

I guess it depends a lot on how you like to travel. If you don't mind jumping around, there's plenty to see and do for a longer stay.

The trip is still in the hypothetical stage, but flying into the nearest hub & then renting a car would probably be the plan. Duration would probably be 5-7 days.

Old road dog that I am, a 2-3 hour drive to anywhere is pretty much a trip to the store and back afaic, so it's nice to hear about all those other surrounding areas/attractions. LTB loves outdoors, lakes and nature, I'm an indoors guy myself, so it sounds like we can both have a pretty good time doing this trip.

Again, thanks for all the input, and keep it comin', please!

The trip is still in the hypothetical stage, but flying into the nearest hub & then renting a car would probably be the plan. Duration would probably be 5-7 days.

Old road dog that I am, a 2-3 hour drive to anywhere is pretty much a trip to the store and back afaic, so it's nice to hear about all those other surrounding areas/attractions. LTB loves outdoors, lakes and nature, I'm an indoors guy myself, so it sounds like we can both have a pretty good time doing this trip.

Again, thanks for all the input, and keep it comin', please!

You might want to consider a couple days downstate so you can check out the always vibrant NYC jazz scene in Greenwich Village, with the Vanguard among others within easy reach. If that's not doable, fly into Albany, rent a car there, and have at all of the upstate locales already mentioned. If you're at all into soccer, the Soccer Hall of Fame is located in nearby (to Cooperstown)Oneonta. Btw, experience with NY State Troopers has taught me to be careful about speeding in that area of New York, even on desolate roads.

I'm green with envy about you all getting to visit the Hall of Fame. I'd die a happy man if I ever get to see it.

Try to plan for it- become a kid again!

Can't speak for Matthew, but speaking for myself, with all of the steroid/etc. stuff that's gone on, I've lost any emotional involvement that I ever had with sports. And at one time, that involvement was very intense. Wish I could become a kid again.