Bobbie Nell Brookshire Gordon dies

brownie

Bobbie Nell Brookshire Gordon who toured with Duke Ellington in the early '70s died Saturday.

From AP:

Bobbie Nell Brookshire Gordon

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) _ Bobbie Nell Brookshire Gordon, a singer who toured in the 1970s with jazz great Duke Ellington, died Saturday at a Maryland hospital. She was 64.

She died of heart failure, longtime friend Doris Etue of Tamarac, Fla., said.

Gordon, a Dayton native, was discovered in 1961 while singing at a bar in her hometown. She performed with pianist Betty Greenwood and had come to the attention of Ellington, the noted bandleader.

Gordon toured from 1970 to 1974 with Ellington. A newly released digital video disc of a 1971 performance, "Live at Tivoli Gardens," includes Gordon singing "Love You Madly" and "One More Time."

Gordon was featured as "Nell Brookshire" with Ellington on the cover of Jet magazine in September 1971.

She also sang on the Ellington 'Togo Brava Suite' album on Storyville.

I remember her from one of the only two times I heard Ellington live (1972 or 73). Not a very subtle singer, but then I am not sure if that being subtle was a quality that much in demand. So she did fit in, in a way.

But then, even when taking into account Ivie Anderson and a few other exceptions, while Ellington had the ability to make competent instrumentalists shine (eg Russell Procope), as well as making brilliant musicians truly outstanding, it seems that he didn't have the same magic touch with his vocalists.