Recommendations please?

venusbloo

Hello,

I'm new to jazz although I do have a soft spot for Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and Natalie Cole whom I listen to quite often when not indulging in my love of southern rock. I was recently given a cd that had some new artists on it-unfortunatly it was a cdr and had no track listings etc, I only recognised 2 artists on the album-Katie Melua and Corinne Bailey Rae. I know they're not really jazz in the true sense of the word but have any of you got any reccomendations of artists like these to listen to at all? Also, have you got any reccomendations for a sort of-essential top 10 female vocalist albums-as well?

Thanks in advance!

Shirley Horn would fit the examples you give - astonishing at slow tempos.

And clearly the role model for Diana Krall.

You'd probably enjoy Stacey Kent, too (I do!).

The primary role model for Diana Krall was Nat King Cole. I recall hearing her in concert before she hit it big. It was almost all Nat.

Shirley Horn would fit the examples you give - astonishing at slow tempos.

And clearly the role model for Diana Krall.

You'd probably enjoy Stacey Kent, too (I do!).

The primary role model for Diana Krall was Nat King Cole. I recall hearing her in concert before she hit it big. It was almost all Nat.

You may be right. Thought it doesn't jump out at me.

I heard Krall before I listened consciously to Horn. When I did start enjoying Horn, my brain kept asking, 'But where have I heard this before?' Then it clicked.

To me, when you're just starting to scratch the surface of jazz singing, it about building bridges. You mention listening to and enjoying Katie Malua and Corinne Bailey Rae, two artists with whom I'm somewhat familiar, but who you rightfully recognize aren't jazz singers. Nonetheless, you like what they're doing. So, instead of making what I would consider to be a quantum leap into the space occupied by an Anita O'Day or a Nina Simone or even a Shirley Horn, you need to listen to artists who are more transitional, i.e. those who have some jazz sensibilities but who you can still relate to given where you are right now. While I think Diana Krall is a workable suggestion, you might also want to consider checking out someone like Jacqui Naylor or Rickie Lee Jones.

Welcome aboard. Just curious. How did you locate this collection of miscreants?