Crossing the Mediterranean

lupe

A previous thread on African Jazz provided me with some excellent suggestions of albums that explore the links and interaction between African traditional music and mainstream western jazz. Few of them touched the fusion with North African / Middle East popular and improvisational music, which have gave us several interesting albums during the last years.

I would like now to move a little bit further north and cross the Mediterranean towards the Iberian Peninsula. The jazz translation of local music traditions (flamenco and others) has produced some real masterpieces throughout recent music history – which occupy a very special place in my collection. Here is a list (in no particular order) – of great albums that I have in mind for this thread.

1. Michel Camilo y Tomatito: Spain

2. Niño Joselé: Paz

3. Buika & Chucho Valdez : El ultimo trago

4. Hadouk Trio : Baldamore

5. Dino Saluzzi & Anja Lecher: Ojos Negros

6. Miquel Gil : Eixos

7. Michel Camilo y Tomatito: Spain Again

8. Renaud Garcia-Fons: La linea del sur

9. Bebo & Cigala: Lagrimas Negras

10. Dave Holland & Pepe Habichuela.: Hands

Each one of these works may come from different starting points and inspirations; but they end up in creating a very particular atmosphere and "feeling" directly linked with the region and its music. Based on these personal preferences, I would be glad if people could recommend other albums that fit in this category and are worth to discover.

hello again Lupe, yes to many of your recomendations in particular Fons Garcia and the sublime Buika!

have you tried the Flamenco guitarist Nino Joselle? start with Paz, his take on the music of Bill Evans. EDIT OOOPs, just reread your post and see that you do indeed know Nino, but even his other 3 albums are of interest.

And there is the flamenco sax and flute player Jorge Pardo,But no standout album....

Edited by Tony Pusey

Nice list - though Dino Saluzzi is from Argentina... :) I don't have "Ojos Negros," but on the albums of his that I do have, he is drawing primarily from various kinds of Argentinean folk and popular music.

Have you heard "Jerry Gonzalez Y Los Piratas del Flamenco"? I think you would really enjoy it!

51K29AQHCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

On a bit of a different tip, do check out Paolo Angeli - a wonderful Sardinian guitarist based now in Barcelona. There's a great duo record called 'Uotha' with Hamid Drake. There's somo fantastic solo stuff; and also I like a duo he did with pianist Antonello Salis. Paolo gave me a copy of this one, telling me that Salis was like a mediterranean Cecil Taylor(!) I'm not one for those type of descriptors - BUT - in a wholly positive way - I completely see what he means!

Yeah, Uotha is positively GREAT!

Angeli is plain amazing!

If I read mediterranean, I also think of some Italian stuff... Zurzolo and his "banda" (several discs on Egea that betray the "artsy" feel of that label). Mediterranean is more maghrebinian/arab music and european music rather than "african", really... there's some great stuff to discover there, for sure... but I feel like I've only just scratched the surface...

Didn't you mention Maurice El Medioni? I've got his "Pianoriental" disc... pretty nice one, too!

If you're thinking Spain, you might as well go beyond "jazz" limits and check out Radi Tarifa or the fine "Cal" by Son de la Frontera or Benjamin Escoriza's solo disc ("Alevanta") - though that's more andalucian than spanish... also Yasmin Levy is doing some fine stuff... though jazz content is non-existent there...

51FhbfsEltL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This one always conjours up the Med for me (but then the Med as seen from a cold wet Britain is probably a pretty mythical place).

Yes, that's one of the finest for me, too!

Then there's this one:

enj9326.jpg

BANDA CITTÁ RUVO DI PUGLIA

LA BANDA

ORDER NO. ENJ-9326 2

"LA BANDA"

Traditional Italian Banda

Banda & Jazz

CD 1: Traditional Italian Banda

Banda Cittá Ruvo Di Puglia,

dir. by Michele di Puppo

CD 2: Banda & Jazz

Banda Cittá Ruvo Di Puglia,

dir. by Bruno Tommaso and Willem Breuker

feat.

Lucilla Galeazzi vocal

Pino Minafra trumpet

Gianluigi Trovesi reeds

Michel Godard tuba

Jean-Louis Matinier accordion

Willem Breuker reeds

CD 1:

1. Toreador 04:57 | 2. La Gitana 04:40 | 3. La Donna È Mobile 10:19 | 4. Deh, Non Volerli Vittime E Finale 09:24 | 5. A Me, Fanciulla 03:26 | 6. Nessun Dorma 03:56 | 7. E Luvevan Le Stelle 03:45 | 8. Largo Al Factotum 07:20

CD 2:

1. Toreador 04:57 | 2. La Gitana 04:40 | 3. La Donna È Mobile 10:19 | 4. Deh, Non Volerli Vittime E Finale 09:24

Total time: 77'07

During the 19th century, nearly every Italian community had its own 'Banda' - a popular wind orchestra performing at public places. Usually a Banda consisted of 50 to 60 instruments including several tubas and french horns, lots of trumpets and trombones, 15 and more clarinets and even bassoons, oboes, and flutes. The largest part of the Banda's bandbook would consist of instrumental arrangements of famous opera songs, and it was only through Banda that many people in Italy (especially on the countryside) came to know Italian opera. Today's Bandas are known for their special intonation that gives them a 'dirtyness' comparable to the brass bands of early jazz.

With Banda widely neglected by Europe's official cultural life, the performance at Germany's prolific Donaueschinger Musiktage was a rare occasion to meet the living tradition of Banda music. The ensemble from Ruvo di Puglia, a small town in Apulia, Southern Italy, where important composers of Banda music hail from, is best known for its yearly performances at processions in the Holy Week. They not only present traditional opera transcriptions for Banda (on CD 1), but are also open to meet new challenges from original jazz musicians and composers Michel Godard, Jean-Louis Matinier and Willem Breuker who have been familiar with the Banda tradition for many years (on CD 2). Based on Banda-inspired melodies by Fellini's soundtrack composer Nino Rota, Bruno Tommaso's suite "Sacra Romana Rota" serves as a heavy finale for a performance that was considered one of the most important events in European music in 1996.

Source: La Banda

Yes, that's one of the finest for me, too!

Then there's this one:

enj9326.jpg

Yes, another beauty. I bought that after seeing it done live in London.

If you enjoy that one, you really ought to check out some of Marco Zurzolo's Banda M.V.M. discs!

I have these two:

8015948000878.jpg8015948000977.jpg

Beautifully recorded as all Egea releases, and more leaning towards Arabian influences, using the oud and plenty of percussion, too... here's the description for "Pulcinella" from the site:

Reedman/composer Marco Zurzolo sets high standards for himself, evidenced by his latest and previous releases for this Italian record label. Enhanced by pristine audio characteristics, Zurzolo’s arrangements feature heavenly themes and Mediterranean slants amid a cosmopolitan blend of jazzy grooves and soft intervals. The percussionists steer the flow in concert with variable rhytmic metrics, whereas the large ensemble occasionally casts a semi-serious carnival-like atmosphere.

At times you can imagine people dancing on the streets, however Zurzolo’s compositions provide a translucent amalgamation of big band style horn charts along with festive opuses. The artist affords his soloist ample breathing room to complement a series of punchy choruses and some cleverly articulated shifts in strategy. They even break into a Tarantella on the aptly titled piece “Tarantella Segreta”. Simply stated, Zurzolo is a master, who deserves wider recognition on these American shores. His music is warm and soothing without becoming saturated with syrupy choruses. Alternatively, the musicians can turn up the heat on a split second’s notice. Highly recommended...

Thanks Tony: Yes, I appreciate very much Nino Josele and think that "Paz" was first class! But thanks for the Jorge Prado suggestion; I don't have any albums of him.

Seeline, thanks for the "Jerry Gonzales y Los Piratas del Flamenco" suggestion – I have not heard the album yet.

Italian jazz is of course a whole separate chapter; I have several albums, but your ideas on Paolo Angeli, La Banda, Paolo Damiani & Marco Zurolo seem very interesting..

If you enjoy that one, you really ought to check out some of Marco Zurzolo's Banda M.V.M. discs!

I have these two:

8015948000878.jpg8015948000977.jpg

Beautifully recorded as all Egea releases, and more leaning towards Arabian influences, using the oud and plenty of percussion, too... here's the description for "Pulcinella" from the

Will look into those, king ubu. I have a number of Egea releases but don't know those ones.

I'll add a thumbs up for Seeline's "Jerry Gonzales y Los Piratas del Flamenco" recommendation. Marvellous record.

Seeline, thanks for the "Jerry Gonzales y Los Piratas del Flamenco" suggestion – I have not heard the album yet.

Italian jazz is of course a whole separate chapter; I have several albums, but your ideas on Paolo Angeli, La Banda, Paolo Damiani & Marco Zurolo seem very interesting..

De nada, lupe! I'm hoping that Jerry makes another album with flamenco musicians - he hasn't recorded much under his own name since his move to Spain.

Also, I really like the La Banda set on Enja... would like to hear more music in that vein myself.

Has anyone here listened to any of guitarist Simone Guiducci's albums? I haven't heard much of his work, but my impression of what little I have heard is very, very good.

Zurzolo's name is new to me - thanks for the recs, everyone!

Edited by seeline

Has anyone here listened to any of guitarist Simone Guiducci's albums? I haven't heard much of his work, but my impression of what little I have heard is very, very good.

This is fabulous:

51YnOmoHxJL.jpg

Mediterranean in feel, but with strong contemporary jazz content.

Wasn't quite so taken by what followed and lost touch. You've reminded me to check him out again.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice list - though Dino Saluzzi is from Argentina... :) I don't have "Ojos Negros," but on the albums of his that I do have, he is drawing primarily from various kinds of Argentinean folk and popular music.

A belated correction: Yes, I know, Seeline, you are right. I however decided to include this album on the initial list, just because with the addition of Anja Lechner (a European) the overall feeling and atmosphere gets very close to the one of the other albums. I was basically trying to help people understand what kind of recommendations I was looking for. I think you would like "Ojos Negros", it's a very intimate and sentimental album.

Edited by lupe

lupe - yes, I understand what you're saying. :)

I guess Ojos... is not my favorite out of his recordings, though - maybe for the same reasons that you're recommending it. (Though I do really like Saluzzi's collaborations with the Rosamunde Quartet.)

I think my reaction might have a lot to do with some aspects of the mastering and overall ECM aesthetic, which is a whole different topic!

Edited by seeline