Brasil '66 Does Beatles Better Than the Beatles

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't find Norwegian Wood on You Tube but listened to Fool on the Hill which I probably hadn't heard in at least 20 years. It's different than the original, maybe more polished or smoother than the Beatles. It's good in its way but not as good as the original in my view. At least I don't like it as much :)

• 3 years later...

Karen Philipp does sexy better than sexy. She currently resides in Minnesota.

I wonder who got "make" into "maeyke", her or Lani or Sergio or Grusin, or Skeeter Davis, or is that just one of those sex things that music mojo will bend you into without you even thinking about it?

And it still blows my mind that the Dom Um Romao I saw going batshit crazy madgood out in front of Weather Report in 1974 was this same guy on this same gig.

Pretty World all the way, except when it's not, but oh well, c'est la vie, no doubt.

I dig how Lani views the challenge of the dress as to never let the stripe move, Karen views it as to never let the stripe stay in one place, and they each succeed to perfection.

You'd thank that Lani was stiff or something, but she got that phrasing and the good smiles and the head jerks that say, no, not stiff, just still waters, still waters here, running deep.

Karen currently resides in Minnesota.

• 1 year later...

It's always hard to improve on an original unless you approach it from a different angle, which makes it different but not better but also not worse as they may be different things. Better implies a comparison between two similar things but an interpretation is not necessarily similar. 

• 3 years later...

Do you have a video for All My Loving. 

While looking for it, came across Day Tripper. 

To me, it sounds like every other version of a Beatles song they did.  Fine and pleasant and, of course, different, for what it is.  But not nearly as good as the original. 

I am enamored of Wanda De Sah's contributions.  Really enjoyable singer.  Not sure what happened to her, she just sort of disappeared for 30 years after these two recordings.  Also, I'm in for at least some of the original premise of this thread from many years ago.  Brasil 66's "Fool on the Hill" just blows away the original by that moptop long-forgotten-flash-in-the-pan Liverpool crew.

Image result for wanda de sah brasil 65

Image result for wanda de sah brasil 65

9 hours ago, Brad said:

Do you have a video for All My Loving. 

Alas, no. I found the 45 on a blog somewhere ago, so it's probably still misting around somewhere in the cyberether. I ws reminded of it yesterday, it was on my iPod, which I have broken out again for reasons unknown.

The other side is "The Telephone Song" (Alloh!). I find both sides of the platter to be deliciously spintastic.

This version of "All My Loving" is more "bossa" than the later Mendesian makeovers of the Beatles. It totally lacks the whole jet-set crossover vibe. There's a flautist (who might well be Hubert Laws?), and some really neat displacements of the melody and an opening up of some of the harmonies.

At the end of the day, it remains a 2:00 45 with a flip side that is just about as good (and as short) that remains almost invisible to the ages. Oh well. But if you come across it anywhere, hey, carpe diem.

It's out there somewhere in the wild somewhere, gotsta be. Looks like (the B&W label)  it might have been one of those things made for DJs to see how it would fare before going any further. The bigger labels did that a lot back in the day, make a single or two, see if anything took, and then....whatever.

It is a delightful little record though, and without that DaveGrusin sound, not at all like Brasil 66/67.

I started djaying last year at a friend's cider tasting room and I've used their records from time to time with good responses fr M the crowd.  I grew up hearing them on the radio but ignored them for years after that because I was too "hip" but I started buying their lps about twenty years ago and found out I was misguided.  They are hip in their own way.

• 4 months later...
On 10/10/2014 at 9:04 PM, JSngry said:

I dig how Lani views the challenge of the dress as to never let the stripe move, Karen views it as to never let the stripe stay in one place, and they each succeed to perfection.

You'd thank that Lani was stiff or something, but she got that phrasing and the good smiles and the head jerks that say, no, not stiff, just still waters, still waters here, running deep.

Karen currently resides in Minnesota.

damn

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

damn

In that video (and on the record they're lip-synching to), it's my strong suspicion, just based on sound, that Lani is double-tracked and Karen isn't singing at all. Karen is there because Brasil 66 had two girl singers and it would have looked weird if she wasn't. (And for the additional eye candy.) Karen was a good singer; I just don't think we're hearing her on this cut.

But I could be wrong.

Edited by riddlemay

On 1/15/2011 at 9:48 PM, Teasing the Korean said:

Day Tripper...

Norwegian Wood...

And of course...

The Fool on the Hill.

Whenever Brasil '66 did a Beatles tune, it always BLEW AWAY the Beatles' own version.

There are plenty of examples on Youtube, but I'm too lazy to post them.

They are also readily available at a thrift store near you.

That's it, I'm going to bed.

Happy MLK weekend!

I'm with you. My first exposure to the Beatles was the RMM Tropical Tribute to the Beatles album. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not Latinizing the Beatles you're doing it wrong.

22 hours ago, Unhinged Melody said:

As far as I'm concerned, if you're not Latinizing the Beatles you're doing it wrong.

When I was a kid, I thought the Beatles were the sound of the 60s.  Now, as an adult, I think that Lennon & McCartney were simply one ingredient in that wonderful 1960s international stew that also included Jobim, Burt Bacharach, Henry Mancini, Tony Hatch, Morricone, Michel Legrand, et. al.

The other artist who does definitive Beatles covers is Gary McFarland.  I can never go back to the Beatles' version of "And I Love Her" after hearing Gary's.