The Complete 1956-1964 Modern Jazz Quartet Atlantic Studio Recordings

crisp

Oh, THAT period! I've got one with a similar, but slightly less stellar band - Teddy, Ray Brown, Monty Alexander & Dick Berk - 'That's the way it is' - and there's far too much Ray Brown (OK, he was the co-leader) and general messing around. Live at the Manne-hole.

There's a bossa nova album which is quite nice and no more. Well, Lodi Carr sings nicely on a couple of tracks.

I used to have 'Statements' with Hank Jones, but it never did anything for me.

MG

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That album was John Lewis music composed for a french film. Only represents one aspect of the group. Try something like "The Last Concert" for a better overview, and take a listen to this famous Milt Jackson title for another side of this amazing group:

I'm sorry I just don't get it. Perhaps I need to get the Mosaic to hear what they are a preachin but I just tried to listen to "No sun in Venice" and died of boredom after side one.

I think you have to accept that the proceedings are never going to get "hot." Things are more leisurely, "composer-ly" if you will, and without a horn there's not going to be a lot of dynamics. I'm not a big fan of John Lewis, and can certainly do without the finger cymbals. I think there's only so much jazz you can play in tuxes. For the piano chair, why not try substituting either Monty Alexander, Gene Harris, or Cedar Walton?

51S3p8oj9sL._SY300_.jpgA1-eynvqEZL._SL1500_.jpg81dw0AmiXML._SL1390_.jpg21qp0GW-fUL.jpg21K8WVJMAJL.jpg41U22ATCm2L._SL500_SX300_.jpg41tX6Ptfe2L.jpg

Dude, I have slept in a tuxedo, ate greasy hamburgers in a tuxedo, engaged in sexual activity in a tuxedo, pretty much anything you can do, you can do in a tuxedo (I'd not try swimming in a tuxedo, but I don't like swimming any way). After awhile, it just doesn't matter. Especially if you don't get it pressed regularly.

Ah, now we're talking shoes. It's not the tux that fucks you up, it's the shoes. Never were a tux and uncomfortable shoes. One or the other, but never both.

Whatever "power" wardrobe has is due to a reciprocal agreement. I "broke the cycle" with tuxedos a loooooong time ago.

But shoes? I don't see why anybody would choose to wear shoes, especially indoors. You talk about things that there's only so much jazz that can be played in, that's shoes.

People keep wearing shoes and the amount of jazz (as opposed to "jazz") that gets played continues to decrease. Coincidence? I think not.

Went through a brief but intense phase where i thought i'd finally clicked with the MJQ about a year or so ago. I was really tempted to get the Mosaic set but ended up compromising and just getting quite a few of the individual CDs, as well as a couple of well regarded live concert double CDs that i can't think of the names right now (think they were 'The Final Concert' and 'For Connie'). I don't completely regret my spree but it definitely ended up being an eyes bigger than my stomach sort of thing as i found it to be more and more of a struggle to get through the albums i was buying.

Nutshell = after years of ambivalence i immersed myself in the groups albums and for a short period thought that i finally got it. The phase passed and i'm not quite back to square one but definitely back to liking the idea of the MJQ more than the reality on record.

• 7 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2013 at 4:31 PM, JSngry said:

And if that doesn't work, try the telephone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZAC-6DEVSs

Dammit, that video is no longer available. MJQ (or as the lady says "Modern Jazz Quartet") demonstrates the two new types of busy signals, courtesy of/on behalf of  Bell Telephone.

I hope this got saved by somebody.