The Complete 1956-1964 Modern Jazz Quartet Atlantic Studio Recordings

crisp

I don't know if you'd want to listen to it all at once, and if you're the type of listener who hears "sound" in front of "music", then it might all "sound the same" to you, but....there's a lot of subtle diversity in there, so as a "library item", something you can come back to for both study and pleasure (and be able to have a variety of selected "spots" for each), I think it's a pretty darn good deal.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it depends. If you want the more swingin' side of the MJQ, you can go for European Concert, which is one of their best live albums IMHO, and see whether you like the more restrained, arranged-sounding stuff - John Lewis's arranging/composing skills dominate the studio work, that's clear. I think his balance of written and improvised parts was perfect. Some of it is closer to Third Stream, some of it is rather straightahead. There's a lot of variety through the varying tempos and grooves and the different guests. For those who prefer a more blowin' approach and harder swinging, I'd say take a listen first.

Edited by mikeweil

Plastic Dreams is after 1964, I think.

Early 70s, actually. Their first after returning from Apple, iirc?

Yessir - and it's the funkiest album they ever did. John Lewis' comping on the first two tracks would have served the James Brown horn section perfectly.

Thou sayeth thus that "Plastic Dream" is worth hearing?

Just passed it by in a local sale this week... will return Saturday to check if it's still around!

Expect to hear a harpsichord on two tracks, and make sure your equipment can deal with a crotale or finger cymbals as a ride cymbal substitute - great speaker test. If they sound cluttered .......

Besides Space, it's the wierdest MJQ album, I never heard anybody create drum set grooves like those Connie Kay plays on the opening track. Masterful. And funny, if you can understand John Lewis' musical humor ...

Edited by mikeweil

Plastic Dreams is after 1964, I think.

Early 70s, actually. Their first after returning from Apple, iirc?

Yessir - and it's the funkiest album they ever did. John Lewis' comping on the first two tracks would have served the James Brown horn section perfectly.

Thou sayeth thus that "Plastic Dream" is worth hearing?

Just passed it by in a local sale this week... will return Saturday to check if it's still around!

Expect to hear a harpsichord on two tracks, and make sure your equipment can deal with a crotale or finger cymbals as a ride cymbal substitute - great speaker test. If they sound cluttered .......

Besides Space, it's the wierdest MJQ album, I never heard anybody hear drum grooves like those Connie Kay plays on the opening track. Masterful. And funny, if you can understand John Lewis' musical humor ...

Ok, that sounds interesting!

"Space", too! I was once too stupid to pick up that one at a used store, many years ago...

I can deal with a harpsichord - I found the recent hate-thread rather weird...

Mosaic's Fred told me that these albums will be included in the MJQ Mosaic (now also listed on Mosaic's Upcoming Releases page):

(original Atlantic catalogue number - title)

1231 Fontessa

1247 The Modern Jazz Quartet at the Music Inn

1265 The Modern Jazz Quartet

1248 One Never Knows

1299 The Modern Jazz Quartet at the Music Inn, Volume 2

1325 Pyramid

1345 Third Stream Music

1359 The Modern Jazz Quartet and Orchestra

1381 Lonely Woman

1390 The Comedy

1414 The Sheriff

1420 A Quartet Is a Quartet Is a Quartet

1429 Collaboration

1440 The Modern Jazz Quartet Plays George Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess

The number of alternate takes included will be rather limited:

Bluesology and Woody'n'You from the Fontessa session in stereo (the stereo mix is a sonic desaster, as I remembered) are confirmed, let's wait and see if anything else turns up.

I think with Mosaic's remastering the horrible stereo sound will be rectified :lol:

Well, I for one am really looking forward to the set. I already have the Prestige/Pablo set, and this one will fit very well into the middle! I don't have most of the albums and am looking forward to discovering the music. If I like it, I'll probably pick up the post-'64 Atlantics and Apples too.

gregmo

Finally, a Mosaic filled with classic jazz of which I don't already own over 75% of the music. But the reason that I don't have much MJQ on Atlantic is that is just doesn't rock my boat too much. Too bad. :D

Sometimes the boat needs to be rocked, and sometimes the waters need to be stilled.

Finally, a Mosaic filled with classic jazz of which I don't already own over 75% of the music. But the reason that I don't have much MJQ on Atlantic is that is just doesn't rock my boat too much. Too bad. :D

Sometimes the boat needs to be rocked, and sometimes the waters need to be stilled.

The jewel is in the lotus.

That's why we have Miles and Pres. :)

I think it's great that Mosaic could negotiate for this material and have a financial winner here. This is not jazz muzak and it will sell. This project will probably be a lot more meaningful to the franchise (and thus to us fans and serial customers) than getting Sam Rivers' Rivbea tapes out there pronto.

Both of whom utilized John Lewis rather effectively at one time or another...

Both of whom utilized John Lewis rather effectively at one time or another...

Yes. Like Milt Jackson, I tend to enjoy John Lewis more away from the MJQ.

I think it's great that Mosaic could negotiate for this material and have a financial winner here. This is not jazz muzak and it will sell. This project will probably be a lot more meaningful to the franchise (and thus to us fans and serial customers) than getting Sam Rivers' Rivbea tapes out there pronto.

Maybe, but I'm still disappointed that since the rumors of a Rivers set started swirling last year and there was the possibility for it coming out at the end of 2010, instead we've seen reissues of Ellington and the MJQ. Not to denigrate those sets, but it just seems to me that the Rivers stuff, because it has been much less available, is far more significant musically and historically. As a huge Mosaic fan I want to see them continue to produce more sets in the mold of Braxton, Threadgill, and Carter/Bradford, among others. To me there's a lot more potential for growth there than there is in going over the more mainstream stuff from the 1950s and 1960s.

That said, I'll probably get the MJQ at some point because it is not music that I own (except for maybe one or two albums). But it doesn't generate the same kind of excitement for me as a Rivers set would have.

Maybe, but I'm still disappointed that since the rumors of a Rivers set started swirling last year and there was the possibility for it coming out at the end of 2010, instead we've seen reissues of Ellington and the MJQ. Not to denigrate those sets, but it just seems to me that the Rivers stuff, because it has been much less available, is far more significant musically and historically. As a huge Mosaic fan I want to see them continue to produce more sets in the mold of Braxton, Threadgill, and Carter/Bradford, among others. To me there's a lot more potential for growth there than there is in going over the more mainstream stuff from the 1950s and 1960s.

That said, I'll probably get the MJQ at some point because it is not music that I own (except for maybe one or two albums). But it doesn't generate the same kind of excitement for me as a Rivers set would have.

We have to remember that part of running a business - especially on the scale of Mosaic - is making sure that you stay in business.

I see your point and I'm looking forward to the Sam Set too, but I wouldn't denigrate the musical or historical significance of having coherent reissues of the Duke or the MJQ. Especially the Duke set, which is the first coherent reissue of this material on CD, and the first of any kind for 30 years or more. And as many people have pointed out, the bigger names probably subsidize the Rivers , Threadgills and Carter/Bradfords to some extent.

Edited by my beat is correct