Sonny Clark -- an interesting article

As most of you already know I am the Sonny Clark nut (have him complete), but just today I ordered "Music In The Key Of Clark" with John Hicks, why I really don't know, I will be 75 next month and have more music than ever, I play CD's at least 6 hour every day and have many I have not played for years, help me, I AM A COLLETTOR, have 10 more CD's on the way. I guees some of you dear Board members feel like me.

Vic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will keep doing this for the rest of your long life. Good for you - you could be a fan of Liberace!

Health will bring you more good music.

In all seriousness, keep going and thanks for sharing on this board.

Don't know if you know this but Muhal Richard Abrams is an SC fan, as he told me 45 years ago.

Many of us here, myself included, are well beyond the point where we can justify the number of recordings the we own on the basis of future planned listening. I think of it as the same sort of luxury as having a huge library of books. They are there for reference as well as enjoyment, and any single one of them can be accessed at any given moment in time. For jazz, since the sound of surprise is often important, it is also nice to be able to grab a recording every now and again that has only been listened to once several years ago and give it a go.

At any rate, I have stopped worrying about a justification for the craziness, and learned to live with it. :)

Many of us here, myself included, are well beyond the point where we can justify the number of recordings the we own on the basis of future planned listening. I think of it as the same sort of luxury as having a huge library of books. They are there for reference as well as enjoyment, and any single one of them can be accessed at any given moment in time. For jazz, since the sound of surprise is often important, it is also nice to be able to grab a recording every now and again that has only been listened to once several years ago and give it a go.

At any rate, I have stopped worrying about a justification for the craziness, and learned to live with it. :)

Exactly right and nicely put.

Like Vic I'm not so young any more and can never play all that I have. Admitedly the sound of surprise is less these days but I still look for it. My buying has changed with age, I'm much less adventurous in my buying choices and buy far less.

I'm a record collector in recovery, necessitated by my recent separation (I have a LOT less money than I used to). I'm surprisingly okay with it. I can't get new music, for the most part. Every penny is going to food and rent, pretty much. And yet, having been a demon collector for so many years, I have PLENTY of music to keep me occupied. I mean, with something in the neighborhood of 5,000 CDs and hundreds of LPs, it's not like I'm gonna run out of stuff to listen to. Not for a LONG time.

I think collecting is a beautiful activity, and jazz is perfect for it. It's almost like, through the act of collecting something, you aren't just acquiring objects but you are coming to identify a small part of yourself through those objects, and to tap a little bit into the idiosyncratic by-ways to happiness in life.

I can easily identify with many of the comments here. I just keep buying CDs regularly. In fact just ordered another

one about 15 minutes ago. The truth is that I get great pleasure from the music. Not being able to add new music

to my collection would be depressing.

Peter, that's just how I feel, too. However, my last CD order was a week ago.

As most of you already know I am the Sonny Clark nut (have him complete), but just today I ordered "Music In The Key Of Clark" with John Hicks, why I really don't know, I will be 75 next month and have more music than ever, I play CD's at least 6 hour every day and have many I have not played for years, help me, I AM A COLLETTOR, have 10 more CD's on the way. I guees some of you dear Board members feel like me.

Vic

I've been depressed for awhile and have barely listened to any jazz other than John Hicks 'Naima's Love Song' and the Dorham 'Jazz Contrasts' a couple of times. For some reason, reading this thread makes me want to get back in the saddle and place a few orders. You've got 10 on the way ......what are you recommending? :)

Caught this in A Blog Supreme's links roundup--Sam Stephenson on Sonny Clark in the Paris Review. Stephenson, who was a major force behind the recent jazz loft book and who's currently working on a biography of photographer W. Eugene Smith, says in the piece that he may do a book about Clark after he finishes the Smith bio. Some excellent background on Clark's childhood and origins... I hope the book does eventually come to pass.

Edited by ghost of miles

Great to see you, Rolf!

Same here :)

Vic

Please give us a review Vic when you get it :)