Bobby Hutcherson unreleased Blue Note material

webbcity

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I wanted to start this thread because of the "Head On" thread in the Re-issues forum: http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php?/topic/46544-bobby-hutcherson-head-on/.

I'm a huge fan of the various Hutcherson/Land groups from the late 60s into the 70s. I took another peek at the Blue Note discography at jazzdisco.org, to jog my memory about unreleased/missing material that I thought I remembered seeing there a while back. A significant amount of "new" old music did find its way onto that Head On reissue, which was a dream come true for me, but I'm still wondering about what's left in the vaults...There are a couple of rejected tracks from "Spiral", for one. There's a second rejected take of "Mtume" from Head On. There were also a number of tracks recorded in December 1971 with a larger group...many of these have now appeared on comps, but there are still two that remain unissued. Then finally there's the infamous May 1972 material with Todd Cochran, James Leary and Michael Carvin.

Here's the full info from jazzdisco.org...I've put the unreleased/rejected material in red:

Bobby Hutcherson - Harold Land Quintet

Harold Land (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Stanley Cowell (p) Reggie Johnson (b) Joe Chambers (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, November 25, 1968

tk.8 Spiral Blue Note LT 996

tk.14 Visions -

tk.18 Poor People's March -

Procession rejected

tk.28 Ruth Blue Note LT 996

tk.36 The Wedding March -

Photon In The Paper World rejected

* Bobby Hutcherson - Spiral (Blue Note LT 996)

Bobby Hutcherson - Harold Land Band

Oscar Brashear (tp, flh) George Bohanon, Louis Spears (tb) Fred Jackson (picc) Harold Land (ts, fl) Delbert Hill, Charles Owens, Herman Riley, Ernie Watts (reeds) Bobby Hutcherson (vib, mar) Todd Cochran (p, arr) James Leary III (b) Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, Nesbert "Stix" Hooper, Woody Theus (d) Warren Bryant (cga, bgo) Robert Jenkins (unknown inst.) Donald Smith (vo): James Leary III (b) replaces Ruff, Henderson, Johnson or Leary III

Poppi Recording Studios, Los Angeles, CA, July 2, 1971

Togo Land Blue Note unissued

Jonathan -

Mtume Blue Note rejected

Bobby Hutcherson Band

Blue Mitchell (tp) Thurman Green (tb) Harold Land (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Reggie Andrews, Clarence McDonald (key) Arthur Adams, Cornell Dupree (g) Chuck Rainey (el-b) Stix Hooper (d) King Errison (cga, bgo)

A&R Studios, NYC, December 21, 1971

(tk.8) Wichita Lineman unissued

(tk.6) Workin' On A Groovy Thing -

(tk.3) Inner City Blues Blue Note CDP 7243 5 21152-2

* Various Artists - Deep Blue (Blue Note CDP 7243 5 21152-2)

Bobby Hutcherson Band

Blue Mitchell (tp) Thurman Green (tb) Harold Land (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Reggie Andrews, Clarence McDonald (key) Arthur Adams, Mike Deasy (g) Stix Hooper (d) King Errison (cga, bgo) Arthur Lewis (unknown inst.): Mike Deasy (g) Arthur Lewis (unknown inst.) replaces Dupree, Rainey

A&R Studios, NYC, December 22, 1971

(tk.6) Family Affair unissued

(tk.4) Brother Rap Blue Note (E) B1 97158

(tk.8) Brown Eyed Woman unissued

* Various Artists - Blue Juice, Vol. 2 (Blue Note (E) B1 97158)

Bobby Hutcherson Quartet

Bobby Hutcherson (vib, mar) Todd Cochran (p, el-p) James Leary (b) Michael Carvin (d)

United Artists Studios, West Hollywood, CA, May 24, 1972

Poem Blue Note rejected

Unga -

B's Thang -

Mr. X -

Twenty-Five -

Couldn't all this material be re-issued on a single disc? Does anyone from Blue Note or Mosaic read this forum?

'Procession' shows up on the 'San Francisco' release with Land. Assume it's the same version.If you have the 'Connoisseur' series Blue Note 'Medina' than you have the 'Spiral' material. I'm not enough of a Hutcherson completist to lose sleep over rejected takes to be honest. Love his stuff with Land in general.

'Procession' shows up on the 'San Francisco' release with Land. Assume it's the same version.If you have the 'Connoisseur' series Blue Note 'Medina' than you have the 'Spiral' material. I'm not enough of a Hutcherson completist to lose sleep over rejected takes to be honest. Love his stuff with Land in general.

While BN has issued many of the unissued takes from their golden period, I believe they have rarely issued rejected takes. If memory serves me correctly, that first Bobby Hutcherson session that got issued ('The Kicker') was a rejected session, but I can't think of anything else that has seen the light of day. One thing I've noticed from looking at Ruppli's BN discography in the past was that rejected sessions were often redone a bit later with basically the same personnel, but usually with a different drummer, so bad drumming seems to be the source of most of the BN rejections from what I can tell. And I remember hearing a Sonny Stitt session on LRC on which the drummer sounded like he was playing on a totally different session, so bad drumming could indeed make something unlistenable, no matter how "on" everyone else had been that day.

'Procession' shows up on the 'San Francisco' release with Land. Assume it's the same version.

Actually, no, it's a different take, different year, different band.

If you have the 'Connoisseur' series Blue Note 'Medina' than you have the 'Spiral' material.

Yes, but not the two tracks I highlighted in red...those two (including "Procession") have never been released. Actually I'm particularly interested in "Photon..." which is a Cowell tune that showed up on some of his own records.

I'm not enough of a Hutcherson completist to lose sleep over rejected takes to be honest. Love his stuff with Land in general.

I'm not a Hutcherson completist, but I am definitely a Hutcherson/Land completist. :)

While BN has issued many of the unissued takes from their golden period, I believe they have rarely issued rejected takes.

I wondered about this. I'm sure this is all very wishful thinking on my part that any of these would see the light of day...but as mentioned in the previous post I'm a pretty diehard fan of the Hutcherson/Land groups in particular and am always hungry for more. And while they're at it they could throw in the stuff with Cochran. ;)

Edited by webbcity

CD_BH_BlowUp.jpg

You have this, right?

Hard as hell to find, but well worth owning. 10 years ago I had one, loaned it to somebody and never got it back (forgot who I loaned it to, which makes it hard to follow up), and replaced it after 2 years of keeping my eyes out for another one on-line. A great document of that band.

All my stuff is in boxes for my upcoming move, but my memory is that it's from July of 1969.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

This one is awesome (thanks to Stefan for finding a copy of this CD for me years ago), and another equally awesome set from the night before or after is also 'out there'.

The Hutcherson/Land group with Joe Chambers is amazing.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

'Procession' shows up on the 'San Francisco' release with Land. Assume it's the same version.

Actually, no, it's a different take, different year, different band.

If you have the 'Connoisseur' series Blue Note 'Medina' than you have the 'Spiral' material.

Yes, but not the two tracks I highlighted in red...those two (including "Procession") have never been released. Actually I'm particularly interested in "Photon..." which is a Cowell tune that showed up on some of his own records.

I'm not enough of a Hutcherson completist to lose sleep over rejected takes to be honest. Love his stuff with Land in general.

I'm not a Hutcherson completist, but I am definitely a Hutcherson/Land completist. :)

While BN has issued many of the unissued takes from their golden period, I believe they have rarely issued rejected takes.

I wondered about this. I'm sure this is all very wishful thinking on my part that any of these would see the light of day...but as mentioned in the previous post I'm a pretty diehard fan of the Hutcherson/Land groups in particular and am always hungry for more. And while they're at it they could throw in the stuff with Cochran. ;)

Apologies for my lack of precision. I should have realized that when you wrote 'rejected' you meant just that. I won't be wading in to discussions in discographies without reading posts more carefully. The version of 'Procession' I referred to is indeed different. As others have said, BN didn't release rejected material that didn't have the requisite 'schwang' that Alfred required.

Bobby Hutcherson Band

Blue Mitchell (tp) Thurman Green (tb) Harold Land (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Reggie Andrews, Clarence McDonald (key) Arthur Adams, Cornell Dupree (g) Chuck Rainey (el-b) Stix Hooper (d) King Errison (cga, bgo)

A&R Studios, NYC, December 21, 1971

(tk.8) Wichita Lineman unissued

(tk.6) Workin' On A Groovy Thing -

(tk.3) Inner City Blues Blue Note CDP 7243 5 21152-2

* Various Artists - Deep Blue (Blue Note CDP 7243 5 21152-2)

Bobby Hutcherson Band

Blue Mitchell (tp) Thurman Green (tb) Harold Land (ts) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Reggie Andrews, Clarence McDonald (key) Arthur Adams, Mike Deasy (g) Stix Hooper (d) King Errison (cga, bgo) Arthur Lewis (unknown inst.): Mike Deasy (g) Arthur Lewis (unknown inst.) replaces Dupree, Rainey

A&R Studios, NYC, December 22, 1971

(tk.6) Family Affair unissued

(tk.4) Brother Rap Blue Note (E) B1 97158

(tk.8) Brown Eyed Woman unissued

* Various Artists - Blue Juice, Vol. 2 (Blue Note (E) B1 97158)

Do you mean that Wichita Lineman and Family Affair have been released somewhere (since they aren't in red)?

Do you mean that Wichita Lineman and Family Affair have been released somewhere (since they aren't in red)?

Yep, as danasgoodstuff said above, both of them are on a couple of those UK-issued comps...Blue Funk, Lonesome & Blue, Blue Juice, etc...

The listing from the jazzdisco.org site must have been done before those comps came out. But the two in red are still unissued as far as I know.

Apologies for my lack of precision. I should have realized that when you wrote 'rejected' you meant just that. I won't be wading in to discussions in discographies without reading posts more carefully. The version of 'Procession' I referred to is indeed different. As others have said, BN didn't release rejected material that didn't have the requisite 'schwang' that Alfred required.

No apology necessary, I hope my responses didn't come off as rude or anything...was just trying to clarify. :)

Edited by webbcity

• 2 weeks later...

Yes

Wichita Lineman was issued on Lonesome and Blue

Inner City Blues was on Deep Blue

Brother Rap issued on Blue Juice Volume 2

Family Affair was issued on Blue Funk

...which were all compilations at least here in the UK but were snapped up by yours truely for some rare BH gems :rolleyes:

As it happens in checking that out I found a lovely Boby Hutcherson discopgraphy here

http://www.musicweb-international.com/jazz/hutcherson/BobbyHutchersonDiscography.pdf

with piccies!

and alternate sleeves!!

and rare bootleg items!!! :party:

Or this one:

il_570xN.207262729.jpg

Both of those (Blow Up and this one) are amazing. Anyone heard Land's "Choma (Burn)", also with Hutcherson? That's probably one of my all-time favorites. :tup

I was a late comer to Harold Lands work with Bobby Hutcherson as sideman as opposed to the other way but certainly his Mainstream stuff is brilliant