Gene Ludwig - last recording

Jim Alfredson

I'm very humbled and honored to be a part of this release on Big O Records. This is Gene Ludwig's final session, a project he wanted to do for a long time. It's a tribute to the wonderful songs of Cole Porter entitled "Love Notes of Cole Porter" and was originally tracked in 2008. Some here may know that Gene passed away this summer suddenly.

I've been working with Gene's widow, Pattye, on releasing this album. It's a swinger! Classic Gene Ludwig. It's a record all jazz organ buffs should have in their collection and is the culmination of a 51 year career.

I miss Gene. He was a good friend and an inspiration for me. I'm proud to be a part of this, his final recording. It is now available for pre-order on the Big O Store, including the option for a special bonus 45rpm from 1987. Read more here:

Gene Ludwig - Love Notes of Cole Porter

BIGO_2416_frontcover_sm.jpg

Had to go for this, not only do I not have enough Gene in the collection, but it sounds terrific and its also nice to do something that will help his widow. And I ended up adding a couple of items - if the stock info was correct, it looks like I snagged the last copy of the Backstage DVD? If so maybe I can get the guys to sign it? ;)

Thank you Michel for your support in purchasing Gene's CD. I actually produced this CD and I am so happy with the finished product. It was a hard road getting the funds but it finally happened. I deeply wish that Gene was here to see the CD released since it was his big dream to make this recording, but I feel he is aware of it. Jim has provided so much guidance and help to me in this endeavor. I don't see why he couldn't ship to Belgium, may I ask how much postage it charged you? If anything, you might need to send a bit more for postage. When he returns he will sort it all out. Thank you for sharing in my happiness in this release.

Pattye Ludwig

Anybody having any issues with the check-out process and shipping overseas? Sometimes the USPS website updates their calculation plug-in software without telling me and it mucks things up.

Yes, just thought I'd sent the money using Paypal but then nothing happens and I keep being stuck in step 1/3 of the order process, and the Paypal thing didn't seem to have worked, either! No payment shows up in my account there, even though I was told I'd sent the money and was automatically re-directed to the Big-O site.

Wanted to order the CD plus the 45 single.

The message I get is:

We are unable to find a USPS shipping quote suitable for your mailing address and the shipping methods we typically use.

If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact us for assistance.

(Please check that your Zip Code is entered correctly.)

I hate the US and their ZIP code obsession... it's a near science as a foreigner to fill out that stuff correctly!

This is a lovely recording. Beautifully packaged too. I can't believe that there's only 100 copies in the world.

I am glad that you enjoy it. There were only 100 pre-order limited numbered copies available on the Big O website. Those numbered copies with the 45rpm are still available for the regular price as of today, as well as on cdbaby.com. The digital downloads will be released on March 1:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/geneludwig

Pattye Ludwig

Edited by Gene

• 3 weeks later...

First review came in a few days ago:

'Love Notes of Cole Porter'Gene Ludwig (Big O)

"Love Notes of Cole Porter" is as much of a statement about Pittsburgh jazz as it is of the late Gene Ludwig. The organist, who died July 14, 2010, was a master of the Hammond B-3, and his approach to jazz set a standard for veteran players such as Lou Stellute or younger stars such as Thomas Wendt, both of whom are on this album. This look at the material of Cole Porter features guitarist Mark Strickland and drummer Billy Kuhn on half of the 10 tracks, offering a good look at some of the area's finest. Songs such as "What Is This Thing Called Love," "Why Can't You Behave?" and "I Love You" are great bits of small-group jazz. Ludwig comps with the prowess of Kenny Barron and solos with the skill that made him famous. It is not a coincidence saxophonist Stellute is part of all of them. It also is not a coincidence that some of the trio pieces, such as "Begin the Beguine," are weak. Hammond B-3 playing sometimes dictates a far-too-well-known style from which even great players can't escape.

— Bob Karlovits