Which New Release is grabbing your ears?

Chicago Expat

51dVbjqOxDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Paul Lieberman - "Ibeji"

Lieberman on flute & sax, Rufus Reid & Nilson Matta on bass, Duduka da Fonseca, Tim Horner, Jaimoe on drums, Joel A. Martin on piano, and Eugene Friesen on cello.

This hits me in much the same way as Don Pullen's African-Brazilian Connection albums on Blue Note. Interpretations of Brazilian and American music. There's somebody on this site I really wanted to suggest this album to, maybe A Lark Ascending, but based on what I've seen of that person's What Are You Listening To thread entries, this might be right up their alley.

It's still early, but it wouldn't surprise me if this album got slotted in the upper half of my year-end top ten.

Edited by Chicago Expat

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orrin Evans--Freedom (Posi-Tone)--Strong mostly trio recording--dedicated to Trudy Pitts, Charles Fambrough and Sid Simmons.

Melissa Aldana--Free Fall (Inner Circle)--Fine debut recording by this young tenor saxophonist from Chile.

Larry Coryell--Wide Hive Players--an excellent meeting of Coryell and the Wide Hive Players.

William Hooker/Thomas Chapin--Crossing Points (NoBusiness)--Intense duo performance from 1992.

Edited by kh1958

Thanks for tipping me onto this artist... I gave a listen and am definitely ordering the CD... How'd you find out about her???

susanasantossilvaquintet_devilsdress_jk.jpg

Susana Santos Silva - "Devil's Dress"

Personnel: Susana Santos Silva: trumpet, flugelhorn; Ze Pedro Coelho: tenor saxophone; Andre Fernandes: guitar; Demian Cabaud: bass; Marcos Cavaleiro: drums.

For fans of Todd Sickafoose and Ben Allison. This album ranks right up there (in my book) with Tiny Resistors.

You can stream (and purchase) the album on her Bandcamp page...

http://susanasantoss...t.bandcamp.com/

Ridiculous how beautiful this album is.

Curious if anyone has heard John Zorn's new "Nova Express" w/ Medeski, Wolleson, Dunn and Baron?

I've only sampled and been hearing all those Hutcherson / Chambers / Hill things going and even a bit of "Lonely Woman" permeating a track like "Port of Saints".

41L4%2B0mVFSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So Wolleson plays vibes only on this? I didn't know about this. Seems like it would be right up my alley.

tis up the CaryAlley! yes, Wolleson on vibes only with Baron on kit. I've only listened once - more of a winter-time kinda thing tho, if music could be seasonal?

I've been downloading all of the Medeski Martin and Wood "20" - being released as FLACs two at a time every month this year thru MMW.

I guess one could say "more of same" but I like their same and more - truly some good grease.

Thanks for tipping me onto this artist... I gave a listen and am definitely ordering the CD... How'd you find out about her???

susanasantossilvaquintet_devilsdress_jk.jpg

Susana Santos Silva - "Devil's Dress"

Personnel: Susana Santos Silva: trumpet, flugelhorn; Ze Pedro Coelho: tenor saxophone; Andre Fernandes: guitar; Demian Cabaud: bass; Marcos Cavaleiro: drums.

For fans of Todd Sickafoose and Ben Allison. This album ranks right up there (in my book) with Tiny Resistors.

You can stream (and purchase) the album on her Bandcamp page...

http://susanasantoss...t.bandcamp.com/

Ridiculous how beautiful this album is.

It seemed like from all directions. I was wandering around the bandcamp site looking for jazz, found her page and then listened just a bit to be sure it was something I should bookmark to listen to later. Then I noticed she was on the TOAP label, which I recognized as a different bookmark I meant to revisit at a later date. And then she popped up on another jazz site I participate on.

So, I guess the short answer is... a combination of too much time on my hands and dumb luck.

• 2 weeks later...

chrisdingman_wakingdreams_jr.jpg

Chris Dingman - Waking Dreams

Ambrose Akinmusire (trumpet), Fabian Almazan (piano), Joe Sanders (bass), Justin Brown (drums), Chris Dingman (vibes).

Album of the year contender, IMO. The songs on the album are deceptive in the way they present themselves as being jazz song archetypes, but then reveal themselves to be something else. For instance, on the song "Clear the Rain", what starts deceptively as a spooky ballad ignites with growing intensity before concluding with a return to a pacified state, but not as serene as the notes which the song first began.

Excellent song from an excellent album. Jazz from the Brooklyn scene.

Entire album can be streamed (and purchased in most file formats) at his bandcamp page...

http://www.chrisdingman.bandcamp.com

stetcov452.jpg

Colin Stetson - "New History Warfare Volume 2: Judges"

Avant-guard bliss, though that may even be too simple of a descriptor for this complex album.

Here's some songs posted on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKcilfL2aFc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0tKKyEXYTI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KgMrS1CRhU&feature=related

EDIT: And here's some tracks on his soundcloud page...

http://soundcloud.com/constellation-records/sets/colin-stetson-judges-preview

Edited by Chicago Expat

Jean-Michel Pilc--Essential (Motema)--Nice solo piano recording.

Matana Roberts--Coin, Coin and Live in London. I liked both of these. I am really hoping to have to opportunity to see Matana Roberts live.

While it might be an obvious choice, Joe Lovano's new CD "Birdsong" is a killer...

I was able to hear it on NPR's First Listen and it was pretty good. NPR, actually, did a decent job of presenting it, 'cause I also heard a track from it on NPR radio a few weeks back. Really went well with driving now that I think about it.

I love finding "driving" albums.

Don't know about the driving part as I only drive a motorcycle and don't listen to music while driving, but this is a great new release in my opinion. Very well recorded also.

I read a recommendation here and gave this one a shot. Pretty decent.

104037.jpg

The Aaron Parks CD was one of my yourmusic closing sale purchases, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Jean-Michel Pilc--Essential (Motema)--Nice solo piano recording.

Matana Roberts--Coin, Coin and Live in London. I liked both of these. I am really hoping to have to opportunity to see Matana Roberts live.

While it might be an obvious choice, Joe Lovano's new CD "Birdsong" is a killer...

I was able to hear it on NPR's First Listen and it was pretty good. NPR, actually, did a decent job of presenting it, 'cause I also heard a track from it on NPR radio a few weeks back. Really went well with driving now that I think about it.

I love finding "driving" albums.

Don't know about the driving part as I only drive a motorcycle and don't listen to music while driving, but this is a great new release in my opinion. Very well recorded also.

I read a recommendation here and gave this one a shot. Pretty decent.

104037.jpg

The Aaron Parks CD was one of my yourmusic closing sale purchases, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

It's a solid album. I bought it back in my BMG days. However, not only is it not new, it's not even his latest album. The mention of Invisible Cinema reminds me to mention Aaron's latest collaboration...

james-farm.jpg

Aaron Parks/Joshua Redman/Eric Harland/Matt Penman - "James Farm"

Myspace page

It's an amazing album. I listened to it a few times on NPR's First Listen. I'm hoping to get a copy of it soon. So good.

Edited by Chicago Expat

True the Aaron Parks is a 2008 release, but that's pretty new in these parts.

While ultimately I'd like to keep this thread focused on albums being made in the current year, quite honestly, with the jazz community's tendency to perpetually look back to the previous century for its music*, I'm happy when an album even from the last decade gets some of the spotlight, y'know? I made a decision a couple years ago to only focus on jazz being made in the present, and it's been a tremendously rewarding course of action. I can't believe how much excellent jazz is being released these days.

*Not that there's anything wrong with that or we shouldn't do it, I mean, I enjoy the mosaic discussions on this forum, big time, I'm just saying, there's some great jazz being made right now, that's all, etc etc etc.

• 1 month later...

Scott Amendola!!! As a drummer songwriter myself, I have to say that I don't usually like drummer music (example: Anything Dave Weckl has written). But Scott Amendola is not showing off, the songs are not because of the drumming, rather the drumming is because of the song. I really appreciate a drummer that can take a step away from the kit to write good music and not solo over everything. I strive to do this is my own writing as well. Scott Amendola

1290109280_scott_amendola__lift.jpg

Scott Amendola!!! As a drummer songwriter myself, I have to say that I don't usually like drummer music (example: Anything Dave Weckl has written). But Scott Amendola is not showing off, the songs are not because of the drumming, rather the drumming is because of the song. I really appreciate a drummer that can take a step away from the kit to write good music and not solo over everything. I strive to do this is my own writing as well. Scott Amendola

1290109280_scott_amendola__lift.jpg

Scott is a marvel. He appeared on the second recording of my two friends' duo, WD-41. And they may do a live performance together this fall.

Not heard Allen Lowe's but my ears are caught by the latest by another board regular:

Allthereeveroutfrontcover-300x261.jpg

Particularly taken by the track 'Elmoic' this evening.

Not heard Allen Lowe's but my ears are caught by the latest by another board regular:

Allthereeveroutfrontcover-300x261.jpg

Particularly taken by the track 'Elmoic' this evening.

Really kind - thank you Bev!

A charming interview with Mr. Hawkins (I assume done via email or questionnaire):

Traveling Light