Which New Release is grabbing your ears?

Chicago Expat

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing grabbing my ears is my wife. wish I wa hearing new music that knocked me out but in light of recent events in my life it's been all comfort food (vintage Blue Note, Chess, Stax, Motown, Lester & Teddy Wilson).

Nothing wrong with comfort music :rolleyes: Good luck!

This weekend, two new CDs I rather liked were,

Vijay Iyer with Prasanna and Nitin Mitta, Tirtha (ACT)--recorded in 2008 but newly released; and

Kenny Werner, Balloons (Half Note), live at the Blue Note with David Sanchez, Randy Brecker, John Patitucci, and Antonio Sanchez.

also been listening to Cold Bleak Heat - same CD and I am loving it. My first exposure to Paul Flaherty was a duo with Chris Corsano - The Beloved Music - and the quartet might even be better.

a few good more recent discs:

Michael Formanek - The Rub and Spare Change

Rudresh Mahanthappa & Bunky Green - Apex

Parker-Guy-Lytton plus Peter Evans - Scenes in the House of Music

Parker-Guy-Lytton: Nightwork

also been listening to Cold Bleak Heat - same CD and I am loving it. My first exposure to Paul Flaherty was a duo with Chris Corsano - The Beloved Music - and the quartet might even be better.

Hey, Steve...

I saw your mention on Jazzcorner. That's where I got the idea. I've enjoyed Corsano and Flaherty before. It's just a hair below Corsano with Dunmall on Monster Club, but still nice nonetheless.

Under a double moon - Joe McPhee & Chris Corsano [Roaratorio] vinyl only

(Put your) hands together - Nate Wooley Quintet [Clean Fead]

There was... - Arrive (Shelton, Roebke, Adasiewicz, Daisy) [Clean feed]

three very strong, refreshing releases - none quite sounding like I'd supposed. And that's a good thing

Hey, Steve...

I saw your mention on Jazzcorner. That's where I got the idea. I've enjoyed Corsano and Flaherty before. It's just a hair below Corsano with Dunmall on Monster Club, but still nice nonetheless.

FWIW - Monster Club is Corsano with Dominic Lash and Tony Bevan...is 'Identical Sunsets' the duo with Paul???

Hey, Steve...

FWIW - Monster Club is Corsano with Dominic Lash and Tony Bevan...is 'Identical Sunsets' the duo with Paul???

Dang, I don't know why, but I always confuse Bevan with Dunmall! :shrug[1]:

And yes, "Identical" is a duo.

While it might be an obvious choice, Joe Lovano's new CD "Birdsong" is a killer...

I was able to hear it on NPR's First Listen and it was pretty good. NPR, actually, did a decent job of presenting it, 'cause I also heard a track from it on NPR radio a few weeks back. Really went well with driving now that I think about it.

I love finding "driving" albums.

Don't know about the driving part as I only drive a motorcycle and don't listen to music while driving, but this is a great new release in my opinion. Very well recorded also.

I read a recommendation here and gave this one a shot. Pretty decent.

104037.jpg

• 2 months later...

susanasantossilvaquintet_devilsdress_jk.jpg

Susana Santos Silva - "Devil's Dress"

Personnel: Susana Santos Silva: trumpet, flugelhorn; Ze Pedro Coelho: tenor saxophone; Andre Fernandes: guitar; Demian Cabaud: bass; Marcos Cavaleiro: drums.

For fans of Todd Sickafoose and Ben Allison. This album ranks right up there (in my book) with Tiny Resistors.

You can stream (and purchase) the album on her Bandcamp page...

http://susanasantossilva5tet.bandcamp.com/

Ridiculous how beautiful this album is.

Curious if anyone has heard John Zorn's new "Nova Express" w/ Medeski, Wolleson, Dunn and Baron?

I've only sampled and been hearing all those Hutcherson / Chambers / Hill things going and even a bit of "Lonely Woman" permeating a track like "Port of Saints".

41L4%2B0mVFSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So Wolleson plays vibes only on this? I didn't know about this. Seems like it would be right up my alley.

Curious if anyone has heard John Zorn's new "Nova Express" w/ Medeski, Wolleson, Dunn and Baron?

I've only sampled and been hearing all those Hutcherson / Chambers / Hill things going and even a bit of "Lonely Woman" permeating a track like "Port of Saints".

41L4%2B0mVFSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So Wolleson plays vibes only on this? I didn't know about this. Seems like it would be right up my alley.

This one got past me as well.

There's a song from it on his myspace...

Zorn's myspace page