Music for Merce (1952-2009)

Д.Д.

My mother swore she saw a Merce Cunningham production in collaboration with Harry Partch, back in the 50's, when she was in college at the University of Illinois.

I know Partch was there during that time (source), but I've never been able to verify that Cunningham and Partch ever collaborated. She could have gotten her names mixed up, but she was sure that Cunningham was there and did something with "all these homemade instruments, by somebody who was associated with the University" (which I always presumed to be Partch, since she was there during the right time-frame).

Had hoped when I clicked on the link in this thread that I might have some evidence, finally, of this (supposed) collaboration.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

My mother swore she saw a Merce Cunningham production in collaboration with Harry Partch, back in the 50's, when she was in college at the University of Illinois.

I know Partch was there during that time (source), but I've never been able to verify that Cunningham and Partch ever collaborated. She could have gotten her names mixed up, but she was sure that Cunningham was there and did something with "all these homemade instruments, by somebody who was associated with the University" (which I always presumed to be Partch, since she was there during the right time-frame).

Had hoped when I clicked on the link in this thread that I might have some evidence, finally, of this (supposed) collaboration.

I doubt it, but I look and see if I can find anything about it in a book.

I doubt it, but I look and see if I can find anything about it in a book.

It's always possible that she conflated two different productions. Hell, it might even be ME, who's memory of what my mother told me 15+ years ago is rusty.

In any case, I know she saw both Cunningham and Partch (either together, or perhaps more likely separately) during her collage years, at some point or another -- and they each left a pretty big impression on her.