Buddy Rich and Johnny Smith sets running low

Hey all, I put in an order for the Buddy Rich and the Woody Herman box sets today and Fred told me that they just received the last pressing of the Buddy Rich set and they will be sending out an email with it on the "Last Chance" list. Just a heads up to all that kinda wanted it. Now's the time! :o

Edited by Jazz Nut

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How interesting. Just yesterday I picked up a copy from the library and started listening to it for the first time and thought to myself, not bad, I'll have to put this on my B-day list (June). Sounds like it might not make it that long.

Well, who knows how many they are selling per day or week. But it took me by surprise that it's making the dreaded list. The Bix/Trumbauer/Teagarden set was on the Running Low/Last Chance lists for quite a long time. You'll probably be fine for a couple of months, but I'd call and ask how many they have left. Again, they just received their LAST pressing of the Buddy Rich set. Once this is gone, that's it.

How interesting. Just yesterday I picked up a copy from the library and started listening to it for the first time and thought to myself, not bad, I'll have to put this on my B-day list (June). Sounds like it might not make it that long.

Well, who knows how many they are selling per day or week. But it took me by surprise that it's making the dreaded list. The Bix/Trumbauer/Teagarden set was on the Running Low/Last Chance lists for quite a long time. You'll probably be fine for a couple of months, but I'd call and ask how many they have left. Again, they just received their LAST pressing of the Buddy Rich set. Once this is gone, that's it.

I just got off the phone (again) with Scott and I forgot to get a replacement disk III for the Quincy Jones set (I broke it....long story) and he said that they have more than 500 but he was unsure of the number. BTW, Mosaic is a classy company, they didn't even charge me for the broken cd!!! :party: Very relieved.

Oh Buddah ! :o

Wonder how many of the Rich sets they've got in on this last batch (was it 500 of this one or 500 of the Jones?). Either way, I need to order it.

Total quantity for this one was slated at 10,000 so I guess they will have sold way less than this.

Edited by sidewinder

Oh Buddah ! :o

Wonder how many of the Rich sets they've got in on this last batch (was it 500 of this one or 500 of the Jones?). Either way, I need to order it.

Total quantity for this one was slated at 10,000 so I guess they will have sold way less than this.

Sorry for the confusion, ONLY the Buddy Rich set is running low/last chance (not sure what they are going to "label" it). Not sure what the stock on the other sets are. The deal with the Quincy Jones set is I broke disk 3 and they are sending me a replacement copy! I was worried, I'd have to buy a new set. :tup

Thanks for the clarification, Jazz Nut ! :tup

No Problem!!! :D Anyways, I will let you know what set number I get when it comes in late next week (they are shipping it on Monday)---I also ordered the Woody Herman Columbia set as well, any opinions on that?

I need to go on a Mosaic hiatus :crazy: until May when the MJQ set comes out. SELF DISCIPLINE!

Thanks for the clarification, Jazz Nut ! :tup

No Problem!!! :D Anyways, I will let you know what set number I get when it comes in late next week (they are shipping it on Monday)---I also ordered the Woody Herman Columbia set as well, any opinions on that?

I need to go on a Mosaic hiatus :crazy: until May when the MJQ set comes out. SELF DISCIPLINE!

I only have the Capitol Woody Herman (which is fine) but I'm sure that the Columbia set will be excellent. It's on my list too.

Gee, I want that Rich!

Missed out on any euro-offers on this one... it's huge and costly, ouch...

Yeah, I was holding out for a Euro-set too but never saw it over here at the sort of price Zwei used to do (and I don't think it was part of any of their offers). In fact I only ever saw it for sale at the London Oxford St HMV, briefly at that - and over £100 !

No, I don't think zweitausendeins (or caiman) ever had a *great* deal on this one... but I heard there were some Euro sets sold when it was out anew. Anyway, other than the "Buddy & Sweets" album, I think it's all totally new to me, so I'm getting loads of new music for the $$$ - will likely send in my order in a few days (as soon as that paycheck arrives).

I got lucky and snagged one of the Universal Rich Mosaics for somewhere in the neighborhood of $50-$60 new/sealed. It was either from a marketplace seller on Amazon or from Half.com. I wasn't a fan at the time and didn't even really know Rich's work but I bought it thinking I couldn't pass it up at that price and the small groups sounded really interesting. The content won me over very quickly, it's an excellent set. This is coming from someone who hates drum solos. I haven't listened to it for a while but I only recall a handful or fewer numbers that had me reaching for the advance button on my CD player. If you're interested, I'd definitely recommend getting it. If you're on the fence, it's a pretty safe bet that you're going to like it as well.

Edited by mikelz777

It's not listed yet on the "Running Low/Last Chance" page.

Just because it's not on the website doesn't change that it's really is running low...like I said, both Fred and later in the day Scott told me it will be put on the running low/last chance list (not sure which one they will put it on). You can call and ask yourself if you don't believe me! I'm not here to start rumors :)

Edited by Jazz Nut

Just because it's not on the website doesn't change that it's really is running low...like I said, both Fred and later in the day Scott told me it will be put on the running low/last chance list (not sure which one they will put it on). You can call and ask yourself if you don't believe me! I'm not here to start rumors :)

Relax, I didn't say it wasn't running low or that you weren't telling the truth, I just noted that it hadn't been listed yet.

Relax, I didn't say it wasn't running low or that you weren't telling the truth, I just noted that it hadn't been listed yet.

Sorry, J.A.W. I mistakenly read into what you were saying. :blush2: I've been a member of other forums that get pretty dramatic, etc...

I've been mildly curious about this set for awhile, but there's nothing in it that really makes me want to have it. I'd hate to pass it up now only to decide a few years from now that I really want it and have to pay 1 1/2 times the current cost (if not more). On the other hand, I just scored a Peggy Lee/June Christy set for a total of $93, including shipping, so steals can be had even after a set goes OOP.

I've been noticing that resale value on OOP Mosaics is significantly less than it was a few years ago. They still sell for a premium, but the days of 2-3 times the original cost seem to be gone.

There are a few exceptions, of course - like Thad/Mel and Maynard.