Buddy Rich and Johnny Smith sets running low

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I concur with the various criticisms about the shipping options offered by Mosaic and their costs. I have also let them know my views and I hope they will take feedback into account. To beat the bad combo high shipping costs/ custom charges I have been saving money for a while to place a massive Mosaic order. I have just received my little treasures (Ellington, Jamal, Threadgill, Duke&Ella, Monk, Carter and Akiyoshi selects). DHL was doing a great job but this is not an option any longer. Idem for Fedex who have their depot next door to where I live. Yet, saving up to place a big order is worth it. It costs me $60 for International UPS + only £33 for custom charges. Not too bad for a $800 order. The CD player is warming up....partywhistle.gif

Edited by ASNL77

I concur with the various criticisms about the shipping options offered by Mosaic and their costs. I have also let them know my views and I hope they will take feedback into account. To beat the bad combo high shipping costs/ custom charges I have been saving money for a while to place a massive Mosaic order. I have just received my little treasures (Ellington, Jamal, Threadgill, Duke&Ella, Monk, Carter and Akiyoshi selects). DHL was doing a great job but this is not an option any longer. Idem for Fedex who have their depot next door to where I live. Yet, saving up to place a big order is worth it. It costs me $60 for International UPS + only £33 for custom charges. Not too bad for a $800 order. The CD player is warming up....partywhistle.gif

What great music!!! Congrats. I was wondering your take on the Threadgill? I have the Ellington (small groups and 30s big band) and they are great to have, Jamal is great and I have the Duke&Ella on various cd's (Cote d' Azur and Soul Call) but I would like to get the LP set.

I wish....laugh.gif . I knew I would buy all those sets. It is better to buy them in one go...

I have only listened to the first two CDs of the Ellington set so far. What a gem!

The Ellington is definitely on my list. That's an interesting approach - maybe I should wait for the next shipping sale and do a bulk purchase too. Or maybe just visit Connecticut and cut out the middle-man !

The Monk and Ella on LP look tempting too.

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah strange you should start talking about a bulk order and a list - I was making a list yesterday with the same idea of ordering them all at once. The problem is, once I place ONE bulk order will I get the itch and immediately want to place another - in which case the savings turn into losings! Also when you start to think like that it can be hard to draw the line, like anything you don't put in the order is ruled out forever (well, I don't like Jamal much and I already have the best material in the set, but maybe I should buy it just in case, I mean I've never not enjoyed a Mosaic... and what about that Bobby Hackett...I've always liked lounge music with trumpet...). So do let us know how you get on, Yves, uh, ASNL77 (um, which is short for, uh...)...

ASNL77 (um, which is short for, uh...)...

Chelsea ! :g

Yeah got it - it's Lille - who last won a match in 1977 ;)

By the way what is the Duke/Ella booklet like?

The other consideration is the cost now of Mosaic relative to what else is going out there. Yes we all like to have the best, for sure, but equally there are many RVGs now which sell now for £4 ($6) including shipping, and thinking about MJQ I see that anyone buying up all the Avid 4lp-on-2cd sets of MJQ/Lewis/Jackson can pick up 16 lps worth on 8cds for £16 ($24) all in and have a kind of DIY version (well, not the same, but how much do you need, assuming you haven't got the better half of it already?). I bought the Mosaic Peterson for £24 ($36) inclusive but I might as easily have gone for the Avid for £10 ($15) (significant overlap and more CDs). The Billie Holiday for Columbia currently sells for £10 ($15). I mean yes we would like the best but it's a big leap from the 10s to the 100s of £/$ and its like the economics of importing fine wines or luxury cigars...

Edited by David Ayers

ASNL is indeed short for a football club but not Arsenal or Chelsea. It is short for Association Sportive Nancy Lorraine a top league club in France. This is my home town football team where Michel Platini started his career. He is still a legend there. The 77 should have been 78 but I made a typing error when registering. The last and only time Nancy won the French Cup was in 1978 and the goal was scored by the legend Michel Platini.

The Duke/Ella booklet is thinner than the booklets we are used to in the traditionel sets. There are some nice photos but I have not had the chance to read it yet. I am currently enjoying the Ellington set. Once again Mosaic have done a great job with this one. I have got the feeling that my My Chronological Classics will be redundant now. They will still be good enough for my car.rolleyes.gif

Regarding the Threadgill, I haven't even opened the box yet. With 5 big sets and two Selects, it is going to take me a while to listen to all that music. I will post my thoughts in due time. The Threadgill is a bit of a stab in the dark for me. I don't know much about the man and his music.

Edited by ASNL77

Regarding the Threadgiil, I haven't even opened the box yet. With 5 big sets and two Selects, it is going to take me a while to listen to all that music. I will post my thoughts in due time. The Threadgill is a bit of a stab in the dark for me. I don't know much about the man and his music.

Threadgill thread

Threadgill Mosaic thread

AMG Threadgill bio

I haven't even opened the box yet. With 5 big sets and two Selects, it is going to take me a while to listen to all that music. I will post my thoughts in due time. The Threadgill is a bit of a stab in the dark for me. I don't know much about the man and his music.

Looking forward to your comments on the sets. The Braxton and Threadgill are on my radar.

The £25 Oscar Peterson Mosaic arrived this morning (signed-for delivery as well :D ). World's greatest ever Mosaic deal. So far - very nice, laid back listening. Good vibes on this set !

World's greatest ever Mosaic deal.

Well, we had some pretty outstanding deals on Jazztet/Eldrige/Basie back in the day, IIRC. Perhaps not *quite* so bargaineous but in the that sort of area...

Here in the States, there were similar short-lived deals to be had at various places on the Euro-Mosaics. I was able to pick up the Tal Farlow, Basie Clef/Verve Studio and the Buddy Rich for the same price or better.

I get no such button and no samples whatsoever on amazon.de... but I don't mind, my set should soon be on it's way.

However, my order from last Wednesday has not yet been confirmed other than by the automated e-mail so far. Guess that all has to do with the cut-downs at Mosaic.

I get no such button and no samples whatsoever on amazon.de...

That's strange, when I click on the link in my post above, I get the page with the samples; the "alle anhören" button is right in the centre of the page.

May depend from which country you open it... I'm not able to buy MP3s from there, also. Not that I wanted to, but...