Buddy Rich and Johnny Smith sets running low

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been noticing that resale value on OOP Mosaics is significantly less than it was a few years ago. They still sell for a premium, but the days of 2-3 times the original cost seem to be gone.

There are a few exceptions, of course - like Thad/Mel and Maynard.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. On EBay now part of the problem is that a lot of the Mosaic boxes get posted with only a "Buy It Now" option and the price tends to be ridiculously high, like $285 or something like that. It's somewhat rare when a box actually goes to auction. Still, I feel I was lucky to score the Lee/Christy set for just $90, not really much more than it cost when it was in print (and possibly less once you factor in shipping) but in that case I think the seller made the mistake of not putting the word "Mosaic" in the title. I usually do a "Mosaic" search to see what boxes are out there, but in this particular instance I was specifically looking for the Lee/Christy, so I did that search and the box came up. But I imagine the seller lost a lot of potential page-views by not putting the word "Mosaic" in the title.

That said, it kind of makes sense that the prices would come down. The market for these kinds of niche sets is not unlimited.

I have it and that's not my experience of it.

I too am curious about this set. What I am afraid of is that the set will be mostly drum solos with some insertions of music in between.

Nor mine. This is a good set. Yeah, I was a drummer and maybe I enjoy the drumming aspects a bit more than others may, but there is much swinging jazz here to get excited about. I truly like this eet more than I expected to, and am glad I've had it a few years.

I too am curious about this set. What I am afraid of is that the set will be mostly drum solos with some insertions of music in between.

Nor mine. This is a good set. Yeah, I was a drummer and maybe I enjoy the drumming aspects a bit more than others may, but there is much swinging jazz here to get excited about. I truly like this eet more than I expected to, and am glad I've had it a few years.

I second this. I like it very much and 'm glad I have it.

It's on running low now together with the Johnny Smith set.

Sorry for mixing up Jimmy and Johnny. There is no Jimmy Smith set that could go out of print.

Edited by Stompy Jones

It's on running low now together with the Jimmy Smith set.

The Johnny Smith set is now "running low", not Jimmy Smith.

I have edited the thread title to include that one.

I'd recommend the Johnny Smith set.

I have the Buddy Rich and Woody Herman set on order, they are arriving on Thursday :party: I have no Johnny Smith recordings, but the sidemen look good and I've heard GREAT things about him as a musician. Plus, I do not like to loose a set to the out-of-print "abyss" through my inaction.

It's on running low now together with the Johnny Smith set.

Sorry for mixing up Jimmy and Johnny. There is no Jimmy Smith set that could go out of print.

Thanks folks. I guess I may be getting it.

Man, this thread exemplifies everything that's tremendous about this forum. :tup

you can't go wrong with either set. I am a bit surprised that the rich is already running low - it has not been out that long.

Maybe their lease is expiring.

ah that must be the case. in which event i would be curious to know how many sets actually sold!