Buddy Rich and Johnny Smith sets running low

You can listen to sound samples of the entire Johnny Smith set here:

Johnny Smith Mosaic sound samples.

Nice, but that's a lot of Johnny Smith. I don't think I could or would listen to 8 discs worth of it. Not nearly enough in my bag to be concerned about passing this one up. I have the Buddy Rich set and very much enjoy it so I'm glad I already have that one in the collection.

Edited by mikelz777

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard a Smith recording from the mid 1950s, and damn, I can't keep going back to the well to get yet another Mosaic set, but I can already feel the pull...

I think for me, the pull will come when it goes to "Last Chance." :wacko: Then I will have to do some soul searching. Of the in-print sets, the Smith set has been lower on the list, for example I REALLY want: The Chu Berry set, Jazz Crusaders, Armstrong probably before getting the Smith. The fact the Johnny Smith set is now running low has thrown a serious wrench in my plans... :excl:

I MAY HAVE TO FORM A MOSAIC TRIAGE LIST.

Edited by Jazz Nut

My suggestion: get the "last chance" ones (if they're on your wantlist), if you can/if it suits with shipping costs, add something else (I just ordered both running low ones and threw in the Carter/Bradford Select to get the order just under 300$)... and if you have some extra cash, get some of the not yet running low/newer ones.

I've done so in the past few years, have bought the Crusaders, Ellington Small Group, Chu and Braxton from the in-print ones (lots of it not played yet) and managed to get hold of almost all the "last chance" ones in time.

Man, this thread exemplifies everything that's tremendous about this forum. :tup

you can't go wrong with either set. I am a bit surprised that the rich is already running low - it has not been out that long.

Maybe their lease is expiring.

ah that must be the case. in which event i would be curious to know how many sets actually sold!

Do not underestimate the # of Buddy Rich fanatics in the world. For real.

My suggestion: get the "last chance" ones (if they're on your wantlist), if you can/if it suits with shipping costs, add something else (I just ordered both running low ones and threw in the Carter/Bradford Select to get the order just under 300$)... and if you have some extra cash, get some of the not yet running low/newer ones.

I've done so in the past few years, have bought the Crusaders, Ellington Small Group, Chu and Braxton from the in-print ones (lots of it not played yet) and managed to get hold of almost all the "last chance" ones in time.

I tend to only buy them when they hit "Running Low" as well. Somehow I can justify the expense then. I also always throw in a Select when I buy a black box because what's really the difference between $120 and $165?

Yes, the key word here is 'rationalization'

You'd think if we're paying retail and spending a hundred dollars or more, Mosaic would throw in free shipping. They should get with the program.

It would be easy if they shipped Media Mail as I've suggested to Scott in the past. UPS Ground is no better but a lot more expensive.

You'd think if we're paying retail and spending a hundred dollars or more, Mosaic would throw in free shipping. They should get with the program.

It would be easy if they shipped Media Mail as I've suggested to Scott in the past. UPS Ground is no better but a lot more expensive.

They NEED to consider your suggestion. I am sick of their farmed out shipping and UPS ground takes FOREVER. Overpriced---I know they need to cover their costs, but they really are making several dollars per shipping in profit, especially with a UPS account with quantity discounts. It's weird, 5 years ago, I could swear it only took several days to come in. :beee: Order Monday get it Wednesday, to Minneapolis :tup

I just ordered two sets on Friday, Jan. 21 and they are coming in tomorrow. Is my count correct, 5 business days from time of order (in the morning) to delivery??? I am all for anticipation, but I almost have to plan when to order, so that I can get them during the next week. I can get $3.99 overnight shipping via Amazon Prime, FREE 2 day shipping and Media Mail would be FINE. At least they deliver on Saturdays...

I admit, I am very disinclined to order from them because of their shipping cost (not so much the speed). I find their pricing structure bizarre. And $7 shipping for a single Select is egregious.

The shipping costs have risen so much that I generally order only when they have a shipping sale, which I believe they had twice last year. Obviously one can't wait for a shipping sale when it comes to running low/last chance sets.

I admit, I am very disinclined to order from them because of their shipping cost (not so much the speed). I find their pricing structure bizarre. And $7 shipping for a single Select is egregious.

WOWZERS! I guess I didn't realize that shipping was $7 for a select....I normally order a lot... so I can get a lot of bang for my shipping buck... but, what if I wanted just a single cd that floated my boat...IT WOULD STILL BE $4....anywhere else it would range from FREE to $2.95. :blink:

Do they even offer USPS anymore??? I think it's an option on their site but I have always received UPS shipments.

They should offer free shipping for orders over $300 or something. I know they occasionally offer free shipping or 10% off sales, but I haven't seen any lately.

It's weird, 5 years ago, I could swear it only took several days to come in. :beee: Order Monday get it Wednesday, to Minneapolis :tup

That's because up until two years ago (or is it one?), Mosaic shipped using 2-day DHL. They must've had a sweet deal with them. Now DHL no longer does business in the U.S., Mosaic has increased their shipping fees, and has gone exclusively with either UPS Ground or a FedEx Ground / USPS last mile hybrid. Either way, unless you're right next door to Stamford, you're not getting your package in 2 days.

Sent in my order... Smith + Rich + Carter/Bradford - most excited about the third one, one of those that I'm very happy to get way before it's on the endangered list!

And as for shipping... you merikins are so spoilt anyway!

I used to go for the surface option for years, took 1.5-3 months - everything arrived, no damages, ever.

Once they forgot an order of mine (including lots of Trueblue discs) and then sent it by airmail... 80% of the jewel cases from the trueblue part were cracked... great!

So I continued using the surface option happily - another advantage was that the custom guys didn't check as closely as airmail, it seems... often rather expensive packages (in the 200-400$ range) slipped through.

So it was a drag when they restricted the surface option to orders below 100$... but so far I was lucky. Some packages still manage to slip through, and I've had no badly damaged ones so far.

Sent in my order... Smith + Rich + Carter/Bradford - most excited about the third one, one of those that I'm very happy to get way before it's on the endangered list!

And as for shipping... you merikins are so spoilt anyway!

I used to go for the surface option for years, took 1.5-3 months - everything arrived, no damages, ever.

Once they forgot an order of mine (including lots of Trueblue discs) and then sent it by airmail... 80% of the jewel cases from the trueblue part were cracked... great!

So I continued using the surface option happily - another advantage was that the custom guys didn't check as closely as airmail, it seems... often rather expensive packages (in the 200-400$ range) slipped through.

So it was a drag when they restricted the surface option to orders below 100$... but so far I was lucky. Some packages still manage to slip through, and I've had no badly damaged ones so far.

We are spoiled in comparison to 1.5-3 months!!! Talk about anticipation! Hopefully you can get the package in several weeks this time.

Let me know your opinion on the Smith and Carter/Bradford sets as I don't have either. I'd probably get the Johnny Smith before the Carter/Bradford--just because it would fit my tastes better. That said, I have never been disappointed with Mosaic set.

Moaning about Mosaic's shipping methods here won't help. Why not contact Mosaic about it directly, I know they'd appreciate the feedback.

Already did in an email to Scott Wenzel last summer after my Wes Montgomery set took over 2 weeks to arrive (one week was wasted by it sitting around in the carrier's east coast warehouse for no apparent reason). I recommended they consider Priority Mail or even Media Mail, the latter of course being less costly to his customers and still faster than what I experienced.

He told me he felt my pain, appreciated the feedback, and had forwarded my email to the "powers that be".

Moaning about Mosaic's shipping methods here won't help. Why not contact Mosaic about it directly, I know they'd appreciate the feedback.

He told me he felt my pain, appreciated the feedback, and had forwarded my email to the "powers that be".

That's pretty funny--there are only three guys in that operation. Not sure which "power" he'd forward it to--maybe one of the other two guys sitting next to him?! :smirk:

gregmo

That's pretty funny--there are only three guys in that operation. Not sure which "power" he'd forward it to--maybe one of the other two guys sitting next to him?! :smirk:

gregmo

I was thinking the same thing LOL!