HDMI cable

skeith

I got one of these HDMI cables (replacing component cables) to go between my dvd player and HDTV and while I do like the picture, it seems that now I can not change the aspect ratio from the TV remote.

on 99% of dvds, this does not matter as it appears to automatically choose the right aspect, but on a couple it does not

Does the HDMI cable affect this or perhaps something is up with the TV.

Check the settings on your dvd player, then the tv. On some players the default is 4:3 (depending on how old it is, I doubt this is the case for new players, and you have to switch it over to the larger aspect ratio yourself. Then check the tv settings.

I agree. I'm pretty sure your cable has nothing to do with it.

The dvd may not be remastered in anamorphic widescreen. Check the case and see if it says something like "remastered for 16x9 TVs." Most newer dvds are set up for this, but a lot of the older ones aren't, which means you get your movie boxed on all sides with black bars. Only using the 'zoom' function will help fill the screen, but the quality of the picture is degraded.

I got one of these HDMI cables (replacing component cables) to go between my dvd player and HDTV and while I do like the picture, it seems that now I can not change the aspect ratio from the TV remote.

on 99% of dvds, this does not matter as it appears to automatically choose the right aspect, but on a couple it does not

Does the HDMI cable affect this or perhaps something is up with the TV.

I've got the same problem, still not managed to sort it out, too many menu options !!!

In my case, both the TV and DVD players allow for adjustment of the aspect ratio.

What is strange is that after putting in the HDMI cable, when I try to change the aspect via the TV remote, it says "not available"

Maybe it is the TV is going on the blink, because today I noticed the same problem when I try to change aspect when not watching DVDs, but on cable. thought I could change it before, seems not now.

Weird.

Lon and others,

Thanks for the suggestions. It is a real mystery. The TV remote has a button called "view Mode" which now everytime I press it says "not available". I have tried going through the menu to change the settings but can't get anywhere. Of course I can change the aspect ration on the DVD player, but for a couple of DVDs, the TV settings work better.