Mole Jazz.... back????????????

David Ayers

Nice to see that, John. I remember going to Chris Wellard's at the beginng of the 70s when my wife-to-be was a student at nearby Goldsmith's College. I found a (very) used copy of Quincy Jones' This Is What I Think About Jazz on the Canadian Sackville label which was in such bad condition that I was told to take it and "put a shilling in the blind box"! :lol:

I got some nice things from Dave Carey's. The customer area was tiny, two were a crowd but they had a lot of good things and were extremely knowledgeable.

Never was there (before my time ...) but that description somehow sounds very much like what I remember of my visits to Dobell's on Charing Cross Road in 1975/76/77. :rolleyes:

Dobell's was big compared to Carey's Steve, it was like being in a large telephone booth.

For those of you who remember Chrsi Wellard and his New Cross shop here's picture I too back in the day. Chris is on the left. Sadly I've forgotten the name of his colleague here.

post-50-129594402233_thumb.jpg

The guy on the right looks very much like Chris Farlow.

Edited by Head Man

Moving on from the past to the present, one shop that has it sussed as far as bricks and mortar retailing is concerned

is Ben's Collectors Records in Guildford. He covers all types of music with a good range of jazz both cd and vinyl, all

second-hand at reasonable prices.

Well worth a visit in my opinion

Here is one of those Dave Carey ads in Jazz Journal, from June 1961

IMG_0002.jpg

Dave Carey I believe was a drummer who played with various trad/mainstream bands, mostly in the 50s

EDIT: should have used google - lots about Dave Carey here ...Dave Carey

Carey's list were really mouthwatering at the time.

Nice to see that, John. I remember going to Chris Wellard's at the beginng of the 70s when my wife-to-be was a student at nearby Goldsmith's College. I found a (very) used copy of Quincy Jones' This Is What I Think About Jazz on the Canadian Sackville label which was in such bad condition that I was told to take it and "put a shilling in the blind box"! :lol:

Nice memories. I remember whizzing down to New Cross from Woodford in Essex after school in the 60s ( we had lessons on Saturday mornings! ), hopefully escaping without paying the tube fare, and getting half an hour in Chris Wellard's before going on to watch my local team, Millwall. The considerable challenge was getting back to school by 6 pm to avoid dire consequences and avoiding the football thugs nicking my LPs and beating me up, with even direr consequences.

Nice memories. I remember whizzing down to New Cross from Woodford in Essex after school in the 60s ( we had lessons on Saturday mornings! ), hopefully escaping without paying the tube fare, and getting half an hour in Chris Wellard's before going on to watch my local team, Millwall. The considerable challenge was getting back to school by 6 pm to avoid dire consequences and avoiding the football thugs nicking my LPs and beating me up, with even direr consequences.

As a Millwall fan, weren't you doing the beating up?

As a Millwall fan, weren't you doing the beating up?

No, I was one of the few that wasn't. I must have stood out like a sore thumb with my school uniform and regulation navy blue macintosh.

Moving on from the past to the present, one shop that has it sussed as far as bricks and mortar retailing is concerned

is Ben's Collectors Records in Guildford. He covers all types of music with a good range of jazz both cd and vinyl, all

second-hand at reasonable prices.

Well worth a visit in my opinion

Totally second that ! :tup Ben is a very nice chap and I've never failed to find something nice in his racks whenever I've called in, prices are very reasonable. "A1" shop - and he deserves a stamp !

Anyone remember "Woods" in Bradford? Very fine old vinyl shop (I think it still exists, not sure). Early memories of seeing a Miles Davis promo exhibit in that store, full of copies of 'Bitches Brew', 'Big Fun' and 'Get Up With It'. Must have been a CBS UK promo to push the Miles brand.

Edited by sidewinder