Miles Davis- 'retirement' period

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

from this interview w/ Bill Evans's lover:

http://www.jazzwax.c...homin-pt-3.html

JW: Did Evans talk much about his period with Miles Davis?

LV: Miles and Bill were still in touch when I was with Bill. One day Bill asked me if I wanted to meet Miles. But fromwhat he had told me about him, it was all too much for me. Miles was in a crazy place back then. He was living in seclusion and had a wacky life going on. He was hanging out with transvestites and had an entourage of kinky people coming and going from his place. He had created quite an out-there life. He was even farther out than Bill. Given what I had going with Bill, going over to Miles' place would have been too much for me. It would have been too surreal and overwhelming.

----------------------------------------------------------

wait what was up w/ this miles-period, was he just having crazy wild parties all the time. i dont know anything about this really

Wow - this is the first time I read this interview with Laurie V. I hope she writes the book !

Brings back memories of that infamous 1980 Bill Evans European Tour and the performances at Scotts. Still nothing to compare with those nights of genius.

Edited by sidewinder

This isn't really news - the retirement period has been discussed in many MD biographies.

But....there may be more to it than has been generally disseminated, at least as far as what brought it on...there are stories that Miles had run up some really bad coke debts and had incurred the wrath of one kingpin in particular, sending him into a seclusion which turned into a retirement which turned into...whatever it turned into...

The key word there being "whatever", because that's really my ultimate reaction to it all.

so, she didnt really understand bill?

Well, just my crappy opinion, but when you come out with an answer like this:

JW: What was Evans' biggest fear?

LV: Bill wasn’t afraid of performing. He was a professional. I got the sense that when he looked into my eyes, whatever fears he had he was offering them up to me. It was a strange experience.

I'm not counting on depth of insight... but, that's probably just me.

Wow - this is the first time I read this interview with Laurie V. I hope she writes the book !

She did write the book. It is available at her website:

http://www.laurieverchomin.com/the-big-love-life-and-death-with-bill-evans/

I have not ordered it. And don't intend to...

On the website: "an exotic erotic memoir"

Hmmmm. No thanks.

gregmo

back on topic back on topic, yea its weird, he went thru this crazy period, but not like hank mobley crazy period, it was like some i dont-know-what crazy period, wtf?

heres how chewy sees it: the 70s or a crazy wild time already as it is. So in the mid/late70s miles just totally dove right into it and went completely insane till 1980? why did the party stop in 1980? u didnt *have* to stop in 1980, u know,---well anyways all im saying is the late 70s were crazy already w/o miles wanting to join in.....

i immagine if by some chance/luck/chance/probably chance, Miles ran into the Mobe again, at this period, Hank, at least Hank was honestst-fucked up, with his poor health and not enough $ from al lion completely screwing him over. Miles was crazy-f'd-up, from way too much Columbia money, its like kind of blue happened and he went completely off the deep end.

i just read the excerpt on the book website as posted such and my god, so thats how bill died, it is so sad. joe labarbara was there,

This thread has got me thinking back to the Bill Evans London appearances. The comments about the distancing from Helen Keane are intruiging. I'm pretty sure she was sat near the front at the Ronnie Scotts 1980 performances and accompanied Evans to the bandstand too at the start of sets etc. - either that or senility is setting in in my case.

Edited by sidewinder