Cadence Magazine To Cease Publication

In the current (Jan.-Feb.-Mar.) issue of Cadence, editor Bob Rusch writes that "Cadence will cease publication with the Oct.-Dec. 2011 issue (unless another publisher takes over) but all other Cad/Nor Ltd. branches will continue to operate."

Since it's unlikely that anyone will take over the publication of Cadence, it seems that a run of 36 years will be coming to an end. I've been with them since their second issue and the magazine had become a part of my life. I'll miss it.

This is a sad but hardly unexpected end to a very valuable magazine.

I am also one of those who failed to renew my subscription a couple of years ago. Found less and less to read in their recent issues.

I keep most of the collection. Great interviews there (Terry Gibbs, Frank Rehak, Jaki Byard and so many others)!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Two of my favourite Cadence interviews were the ones with Jimmy Cleveland and Mel Lewis. Talk about two guys who didn't pull punches. Wow. The Pepper Adams interview was a classic as well, especially his stories about Stan Kenton. Adams described Kenton as "The nicest fascist I ever met".

Latest email update says Cadence will carry on...details later.

Yeah, noticed that too. If they went back to a cheaper format, without the record lists, and with more of the interviews (they must have dozens already in the can), the magazine might actually survive. I suspect there will be some kind of online presence, although Bob Rusch has stated for a long time that they don't do online. We'll see.

Their "listmaster" email updates are hilarious--sort of. For the last, oh, say, 40, emails, they go through this whole spiel, Cadence books, audio, records, etc "will continue to function" in big letters. They must think their audience are a bunch of dumb asses. Rusch, we got it!

Two of my favourite Cadence interviews were the ones with Jimmy Cleveland and Mel Lewis. Talk about two guys who didn't pull punches. Wow. The Pepper Adams interview was a classic as well, especially his stories about Stan Kenton. Adams described Kenton as "The nicest fascist I ever met".

i have here a big set of programs that mel made for a new york radio station in the late 80s discussing the history of jazz drumming. mel definitely pulled no punches.

i consider very few things sacred.

the rusches and cadence are on the very small list.

sadly, i have outgrown all my cadence tees, and the crews are now history.

gotta pick up some more.

they would make part of a classy burial getup.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Latest email update says Cadence will carry on...details later.

Yeah, noticed that too. If they went back to a cheaper format, without the record lists, and with more of the interviews (they must have dozens already in the can), the magazine might actually survive. I suspect there will be some kind of online presence, although Bob Rusch has stated for a long time that they don't do online. We'll see.

Their "listmaster" email updates are hilarious--sort of. For the last, oh, say, 40, emails, they go through this whole spiel, Cadence books, audio, records, etc "will continue to function" in big letters. They must think their audience are a bunch of dumb asses. Rusch, we got it!

I've had the same feelings you have, but I guess they want to make it clear to new email recipients that other aspects of Cadence "will continueto function".

I hope that the magazine will continue in some form.

I used to buy the old format regularly at my local Borders (let's think about that for a moment). Then my lovely wife got me a subscription just when they were changing over to the new format.

I don't think any of the issues arrived trouble free. One was very late. One went missing entirely. When I asked them to send a replacement, the subscription lady, backed up by Bob R. himself, told me that they would not do that, as they would not pay separate postage! I would have to wait for the next bulk of the next issue! I thought that was pretty lousy customer service but I had no choice. Next bulk mailing arrive. Guess what? I get 2 copies of the same (new) issue, but not the one that was missing!

I was so glad when my subscription ended. I had no interest in looking at the magazine again.

When they went to the new format a couple of years ago I canceled my subscription that was running for 9 yrs........I found it pretty offensive that they didn't inquire with us subscribers as to whether we would prefer this new every 3 months format or not. A survey of some kind would have been nice. Cadence doesn't seem to care about what the customer wants but yet still wants to make a profit on every cotton pickin' thing that they do, Mr Rusch seems to have this attitude that we the customer/subscriber are just like the rest of the dumb downed masses of humanity who feed on the junk music of our day.....plus never seen a magazine of any kind in my lifetime that charge double cover price for their back issues.......from a business stand point cadence north country is a pretty lame ass, control freak company. In order to be viable in business these days you have to know(or at least care about) what the customer wants and DELIVER the goods. And sorry to say but there are some things you just gotta do for free these days in this creative music business(LIKE HAVE A VIABLE WEB PRESENCE)........something Mr Rusch is not interested in doing because there's no profit in that.....I'm sure they must be making money in other things like their audio department.....probably the only bright spot of the whole company.

Sorry you have such a negative opinion of Cadence. I wasn't thrilled when the went to the new format but I've gotten used to it (I've been a subscriber since around 1983). I believe the switch was made to try and keep the business viable by reducing costs. I feel Cadence has served a wide constituency well through the years. As far as doing things for a profit, well, that's business. Doing things for free, that's a hobby. I don't have personal knowledge of the financial circumstances of any of the Cadence employees but I feel I can safely assert no one's getting rich there. I've bought the magazine, bought records and cd's, and stereo equipment from Cadence and I haven't had a gripe yet, happy to say. I don't want to bore you with details of the customer service I've experienced but its all been good.

Bob Rusch had a stroke about a year ago - he's a very physical guy and I'm sure this was/is a huge mental deal for him. He called me about 2 months ago (to warn me about someone not paying their bills) and he basically sounded irritated by all this but also sounded same as ever.

I'd really like to know abut the "new leadership" but can't afford to spend an hour on the phone right now.

Please excuse my ignorance, but why doesn't Cadence publish the magazine online? Wouldn't their operating expenses be greatly reduced, past issues be much easier to obtain, and the occasional missing/damaged issue be a thing of the past? I certainly would be willing to pay a reasonable subscription price for a digital edition of this magazine.