Cadence Magazine To Cease Publication

Please excuse my ignorance, but why doesn't Cadence publish the magazine online? Wouldn't their operating expenses be greatly reduced, past issues be much easier to obtain, and the occasional missing/damaged issue be a thing of the past? I certainly would be willing to pay a reasonable subscription price for a digital edition of this magazine.

Rusch has a stated aversion to publishing it that way. Don't know why that is. Maybe just a matter of sensibility, or perhaps not set up to do online publishing. It might happen with this "new leadership." Consider the diminishing number of outlets that would carry this magazine, I don't know how a hard copy version could be profitably (or even non-profitably) produced.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like another one is folding up as well. From the Signal to Noise website:

NEWS FROM STN-HQ! The summer 2011 issue of Signal to Noise will be our last as a quarterly publication. We'll take a brief hiatus before returning with our first annual edition in May of 2012, just ahead of the summer festival season. By consolidating our resources into a single blockbuster issue each year, we look forward to continuing our work for a long time to come. We're no longer offering subscriptions but we'll continue to sell individual issues here at the website and through our pre-existing network of chain and indy stores. Thank you for your support over these past 14 years!

Not a good thing. It was really the only hard copy music magazine I made a point of reading (there are a few excellent online publications). The yearly issue should be nice, but it is not the same as the quarterly coverage.

Edited by Leeway

Looks like another one is folding up as well. From the Signal to Noise website:

NEWS FROM STN-HQ! The summer 2011 issue of Signal to Noise will be our last as a quarterly publication. We'll take a brief hiatus before returning with our first annual edition in May of 2012, just ahead of the summer festival season. By consolidating our resources into a single blockbuster issue each year, we look forward to continuing our work for a long time to come. We're no longer offering subscriptions but we'll continue to sell individual issues here at the website and through our pre-existing network of chain and indy stores. Thank you for your support over these past 14 years!

Not a good thing. It was really the only hard copy music magazine I made a point of reading (there are a few excellent online publications). The yearly issue should be nice, but it is not the same as the quarterly coverage.

Double heartbreak. I'd surmised this was coming when I couldn't renew.

• 1 month later...

E-Mail Received Today:

A brief hello from the new publisher of Cadence, the Independent Journal of Creative Improvised Music.

Dear Cadence Magazine Subscribers:

Hello, my name is David Haney. I have been a subscriber to Cadence Magazine. I am also a pianist and composer. Some of you may have read reviews of my music in Cadence. Over the past eleven years, I have successfully worked with Cadence to complete 14 albums for C.I.M.P. Records and Cadence Jazz Records. Recording for Cadence/CIMP has been a great boon and I have always appreciated Cadence‘s non-commercial approach.

I now face my most daunting task: to maintain the standards of excellence established by the previous publishers, and to steer Cadence toward a new generation of readers in a viable format that ensures the future of Cadence, the Independent Journal of Creative Improvised Music. The content will remain the same, including columns and reviews from many of the existing Cadence writers. The format will change to include an online site hosting Cadence Magazine plus an annual print edition. The new Cadence contains a few new features such as “Jazz Stories - A Video History”; video interviews with living jazz masters. There is also a new section targeting higher educational needs with resources such as lesson plans, crosswords, and contests.

I am excited at this new endeavor and hope you will be too. With over 25 years experience in magazine publishing, I have dealt with many of the same difficulties that Cadence has experienced.

I am ready to go. I do need your help though. Cadence is a community and in this spirit, I need the readership to step forward. We need financial contributors and we need you to renew your subscription as soon as possible. We are accepting subscription pre-orders for the January 2012 launch date.

CADENCE MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION PRICES (includes First-Class shipping):

Single subscription (online plus annual PRINT edition):

One year: $65 / Outside USA: $70

Two years: $120 / Outside USA: $130

Pretty interesting. Rusch did not want to take the magazine online. Haney is doing just that. I'm not sure if it will work. "Burning Ambulance" is doing much the same thing.

I suppose if they can develop an iPad and Android app for the magazine, it might help.

"Signal to Noise" has also gone to an annual issue (although we'll see if they actually publish it). My reservation about an annual issue is that it lacks any sort of immediacy or currency.

I had been hoping for a return to a smaller, cheaper, monthly or bimonthly magazine. Looks like those days are gone for good.

As I got older, I found it harder to read that tiny type in Cadence (also had less patience to do so). Understood that so much material to publish plus production cost constraints led to this. I therefore think an iPad app might be a great solution. iOS 5 (released today) has a Newsstand app that addresses this. It would be a shame to give Apple 30% of the cost of a subscription, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's E-Mail:

A brief hello from the new publisher of Cadence, the Independent Journal of Creative Improvised Music.

Dear Cadence Magazine Subscribers:

Hello, my name is David Haney. I have been a subscriber to Cadence Magazine. I am also a pianist and composer. Some of you may have read reviews of my music in Cadence. Over the past eleven years, I have successfully worked with Cadence to complete 14 albums for C.I.M.P. Records and Cadence Jazz Records. Recording for Cadence/CIMP has been a great boon and I have always appreciated Cadence's non-commercial approach.

I now face my most daunting task: to maintain the standards of excellence established by the previous publishers, and to steer Cadence toward a new generation of readers in a viable format that ensures the future of Cadence, the Independent Journal of Creative Improvised Music. The content will remain the same, including columns and reviews from many of the existing Cadence writers. The format will change to include an online site hosting Cadence Magazine plus an annual print edition. The new Cadence contains a few new features such as "Jazz Stories - A Video History"; video interviews with living jazz masters. There is also a new section targeting higher educational needs with resources such as lesson plans, crosswords, and contests.

I am excited at this new endeavor and hope you will be too. With over 25 years experience in magazine publishing, I have dealt with many of the same difficulties that Cadence has experienced.

I am ready to go. I do need your help though. Cadence is a community and in this spirit, I need the readership to step forward. We need financial contributors and we need you to renew your subscription as soon as possible. We are accepting subscription pre-orders for the January 2012 launch date.

CADENCE MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION PRICES (includes First-Class shipping):

Single subscription (online plus annual PRINT edition):

One year: $65 / Outside USA: $70

Two years: $120 / Outside USA: $130

Annual PRINT edition only (without online features):

One year: $30 / Outside USA: $35

Two years: $55 / Outside USA: $65

College and institutional subscriptions: multiple users can access Cadence Magazine online. Order also includes two copies of the print edition.

One year: $300, multi-year discounts available.

See the link at WWW.CADENCEMAGAZINE.COM

Or send your contributions and orders to:

CADENCE MAGAZINE, P.O. BOX 282, RICHLAND, OR 97870

Contact us by email at CADENCEMAGAZINE@GMAIL.COM

or call (315) 289-1444

We also need a host of volunteers and contributors. We are seeking photographers, writers, reviewers, artists, proof-readers, transcribers, "Short Takes" correspondents and more. I invite you to lend your talents to the historic magazine and join us in chronicling jazz history.

Call me if you have questions (315-289-1444). I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

-David

Edited by BeBop

Rest assured, the spring 2012 issue of Signal to Noise will be published and mailed in mid-April, 2012. In fact, our current plan is to publish in both the spring and fall. With the exception of the now-defunct Borders chain, we'll still be available in all of the same old locations. While subscriptions aren't currently available, we will sell individual copies through our website. Many back issues are still available for those who just can't wait!

Of course, we wish David Haney and the 'new' Cadence the very best! The magazine has been an inspiration for us and we're glad to know it's not going away.

cheers!

pete gershon

publisher,

SIGNAL to NOISE

• 1 month later...

New issue online now. Color pictures, why, I never!

You have the url?

uh - Google it?

I did and got the same thing I always see unless the url isn't http://www.cadencemagazine.com/.

From that page you click 'Click here to order the new Cadence Magazine' in bold near the top. It goes here:

http://www.cadencejazzmagazine.com/

I shouldn't have teased you as it fooled me too!

Just checked it out. Glad to see they are still around. I'm also glad to see Cadence improve their online website presentation. I never understood why they use an archaic HTML constructed site. Made no sense to me. I checked out a sample of their current online subscription magazine. It could still use some work but a major improvement over what it was like before. It's still a viable outlet for serious improvised music. Thinking about getting an online subscription to support their efforts......

• 7 years later...

was this posted elsewhere & i missed it? mods can redirect or delete if so.

i'm dumbfounded, if not 'shocked' insofar as anything is possible; had no personal contact w/ except decades ago mail order on the phone

https://www.wsj.com/articles/former-brooklyn-teacher-bob-rusch-regrets-losing-ethical-compass-1401852544

3 hours ago, MomsMobley said:

I think I've learned not to be surprised about any of it.  People are complicated but I will say I don't think retroactive changing of statutes of limitation serve are particularly fair. They should be changed going forward, yes but this is mostly a gift to personal injury attorneys.