Sonny Rollins - Night at the Village Vanguard

riverrat

I have not heard this session in several years, but recall really liking it. My early 90's McMaster versions were lost in a theft years ago, and I would like to re-acquire this music.

I know that as a performance, this recording is pretty essential. Sonically it is reputed to be good but not great, unsurprising for a live recording from 1957.

I am wondering if the BN Works a.k.a. "TOCJ" versions are worth the extra $$ and time to locate, or if the RVG sounds good enough. I could also just get used copies of the old McMasters as a fallback.

To the best of my knowledge:

1. The McMasters were issued as Vol 1 and Vol 2 (2 separate CDs and cases).

2. The BN Works were issued as Vol 1, 2 and 3 (3 CDs).

3. The RVG is a 2CD package in a single case.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually compared all of these. Failing that, some thoughts on the RVG would be appreciated, there was a lot of variation in how those sounded..

Edited by riverrat

I can't speak for the TCOJ variations, but imo the RVG is definitely preferable over the McMaster for having all the music in one place, plus a few extra stage announcements from Sonny. The sonics are good, though it is a kind of rough recording which is what I like about it in the first place.

I think the Penguin Guide says it best:

"The live material, originally cherrypicked for a single peerless LP, has now been stretched across two CDs, and in its latest incarnation the in-person feel is heightened by the addition of some more of Sonny's announcements. In the past we felt that the abundance of this material slightly checked the power-packed feel of the original LP, but in the new RVG edition the sound is extraordinarily deep and immediate, and the sheer impact of Rollins in top form is overwhelming -- hence our upgrading to crown status, since this is a model example of a classic record given its proper treatment."

• 6 years later...

The RVG set (on the back tray card) omits listing Donald Bailey and Pete LaRoca as playing on "I've Got You Under My Skin." This track was from the matinee performance.

Did Rudy show up late to the matinee performance, or early to the evening set? I've always wondered why there are only two tracks with Donald Bailey and Pete LaRoca. Surely the afternoon trio played more than two songs.

I've also wondered why there was an "afternoon trio" and an "evening trio" to begin with. Simply because Rollins was auditioning different musicians for an eventual band? If so, it would appear that he landed with Henry Grimes and Pete LaRoca.