Stereo Jack's In Cambridge, MA not closing!

Kevin Bresnahan

*bump*

I'll be in Cambridge for work for a week starting next Thursday. If I would like to meet The Man himself, what day would be best to stop by? (Sat and Sun are looking most likely right now.) And will I be scared by all the crazy modern things, or does the shop have enough pre-WWII recordings to keep a fool like me happy, too?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*bump*

I'll be in Cambridge for work for a week starting next Thursday. If I would like to meet The Man himself, what day would be best to stop by? (Sat and Sun are looking most likely right now.) And will I be scared by all the crazy modern things, or does the shop have enough pre-WWII recordings to keep a fool like me happy, too?

I am usually in on Saturdays. Also, Monday, Tuesday, and Friday. Plenty of trad jazz for the old geezers :-)

www.stereojacks.com

I just got back from Stereo Jack's, and I highly recommend the shop. The trad jazz selection is excellent (didn't check the modern stuff), and the prices are absurdly low. I ended up with 20 CDs, most of which were only $3.99. The vinyl looked excellent, too, but I behaved myself and didn't dive in. I'm trying not to get anymore records (and carrying them on the plane would have been a hassle). :)

And it was nice meeting you, Jack!

I just got back from Stereo Jack's, and I highly recommend the shop. The trad jazz selection is excellent (didn't check the modern stuff), and the prices are absurdly low. I ended up with 20 CDs, most of which were only $3.99. The vinyl looked excellent, too, but I behaved myself and didn't dive in. I'm trying not to get anymore records (and carrying them on the plane would have been a hassle). :)

And it was nice meeting you, Jack!

The pleasure is all mine! :g

• 2 years later...

Stopped by in August, but Jack wasn't there that day. Picked up two Jerry Bergonzi CDs and a precious Epic LP set of the Juilliard's Mozart "Haydn" Quartets, several other things, too, but right now I've forgotten what they were. Wish I'd had more time to browse that day and more room in my luggage.

Stopped by in August, but Jack wasn't there that day. Picked up two Jerry Bergonzi CDs and a precious Epic LP set of the Juilliard's Mozart "Haydn" Quartets, several other things, too, but right now I've forgotten what they were. Wish I'd had more time to browse that day and more room in my luggage.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you, Larry. We could've debated a few points face to face. :-)

Edited by Stereojack

Sorry I didn't get to meet you, Larry. We could've debated a few points face to face. :-)

Would have been fun. BTW, our entire visit to the Boston area was a joy.

To set the record straight, we were never in danger of closing due to poor business - we were given our walking papers by a landlord who wanted to put in his pizza & sub shop. When the city and the neighborhood made this impossible, he gave up his plan and allowed us to stay. Had we been forced to vacate, I had no eyes to go through the major hassle of relocating at my age, and so retirement seemed to be the best option. FWIW, we have no plans to close.

Old, but very welcome, news nonetheless!

Moderator: ignore the inadvertent report. Hit the wrong button!

To set the record straight, we were never in danger of closing due to poor business - we were given our walking papers by a landlord who wanted to put in his pizza & sub shop. When the city and the neighborhood made this impossible, he gave up his plan and allowed us to stay. Had we been forced to vacate, I had no eyes to go through the major hassle of relocating at my age, and so retirement seemed to be the best option. FWIW, we have no plans to close.

To set the record straight, we were never in danger of closing due to poor business...

I did not mean to imply this in my recent post. I was told, though, that the vinyl resurgence among youngish hipsters has further boosted business, as has been the case at a number of B&M stores I frequent. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

To set the record straight, we were never in danger of closing due to poor business...

I did not mean to imply this in my recent post. I was told, though, that the vinyl resurgence among youngish hipsters has further boosted business, as has been the case at a number of B&M stores I frequent. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

Actually, TTK, you are correct. The boom in vinyl sales, especially of many "classic rock" titles, has been a boon to business.

• 1 month later...

Nice, and nice to be able to put a face to a name too. ;)

The kind of shops we miss over here.

...the kind of shops we miss everywhere!

I was lucky enough to visit this shop during a holiday in New England back in 2002. Even then shops like this were becoming hard to find. I bought a nice copy of Gerry Mulligan's "Age of Steam".

....aah, those were the days!