Bill Dixon - Intents & Purposes reissue

colinmce

Found this whilst browsing on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Intents-Purposes-Limited-Dixon-Orchestra/dp/B004IOP4VE/ref=sr_1_20?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1296450076&sr=1-20

Info is scarce. The label is listed as International Phonograph Inc. Here is their site:

http://internationalphonographinc.com/

Looks like this could be a very high quality reissue. Maybe Clifford Allen knows more? I'm really looking forward to finally hearing this one.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a complex situation from the Dixon side of things, but RCA/BMG did license the masters to International Phonographic.

As I understand it, RCA/BMG also notably refused to sell Dixon the masters, or lease them back to him directly, in the not-too-distant past. Maybe this is not uncommon - I don't know.

Yes indeed. I think he's doing a good thing. I also think the project could be done differently (understanding as I do the amount of archival material available through the estate, which would be accessible), but it would also take longer and add more cost - which, in the era of declining CD sales, is a valid concern.

CT, which estate are you referring to? You're being cryptic!

And why has JH waited until now to reissue this material? And so far in a format designed only to reach CD collectors? That's life I suppose but it's a pity.

I assumed this is a reference to Bill Dixon's estate and also that the timing of the release is influenced in some way by Mr. Dixon's passing. I may be wrong and I'm sure Clifford will enlighten us if he feels able to

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

Thank you so much for your interest in the Bill Dixon CD reissue.

I began the project about 1.5 years ago. However, I had been asked to do the John Carter and Bobby Bradford work for Mosaic by Michael Cuscuna. That was a 3 CD set as most of you know, and took a bit to find the masters (one set, as you know, I could not find), restore them, transfer them to digital (weakest link in most audio chains) and get them ready for publication. I first approached Bill himself with the idea and my vision for the reissue and he was quite excited at the prospect. We communicated back and forth for a while, including my interaction with Sony in trying to secure the legal rights to his work. However, all of this was cut short by his illness and subsequent passing. Tragically, he was unable to see the final product. The people who supervise his estate has been nothing but encouraging to me.

The masters were leased to me with all legal steps completely in order. I then flew to the studios in NYC and transferred the master analog tapes to digital using my special equipment and that of the brilliant engineer at Sony, Mark Wilder. The CD cover was much harder even than that, and it took me one year to find a company who could do what I wanted: a perfectly small duplicate of the original vinyl cover, including the varnished look that LP covers had back then. The company is in Tokyo and their work is reflected in the CD cover you either have in your hand or will see.

Again, I want to thank you all for your observations and opinions. I highly value them.

Jonathan Horwich

Edited by JLH

Dear All,

Thank you so much for your interest in the Bill Dixon CD reissue.

I began the project about 1.5 years ago. However, I had been asked to do the John Carter and Bobby Bradford work for Mosaic by Michael Cuscuna. That was a 3 CD set as most of you know, and took a bit to find the masters (one set, as you know, I could not find), restore them, transfer them to digital (weakest link in most audio chains) and get them ready for publication. I first approached Bill himself with the idea and my vision for the reissue and he was quite excited at the prospect. We communicated back and forth for a while, including my interaction with Sony in trying to secure the legal rights to his work. However, all of this was cut short by his illness and subsequent passing. Tragically, he was unable to see the final product. The people who supervise his estate has been nothing but encouraging to me.

The masters were leased to me with all legal steps completely in order. I then flew to the studios in NYC and transferred the master analog tapes to digital using my special equipment and that of the brilliant engineer at Sony, Mark Wilder. The CD cover was much harder even than that, and it took me one year to find a company who could do what I wanted: a perfectly small duplicate of the original vinyl cover, including the varnished look that LP covers had back then. The company is in Tokyo and their work is reflected in the CD cover you either have in your hand or will see.

Again, I want to thank you all for your observations and opinions. I highly value them.

Jonathan Horwich

:party: :party: :party: :party:

Thank you all again.

Yes, a definite chance for an LP. For sure. If it sells well enough, or regardless, I may just print some 250 vinyl copies. I think that is a good idea.

Regarding additional material added to the CD. Absolutely not I am afraid. The reason are many fold but Bill wanted this put out just as it was on the vinyl. The whole theme of this production is a duplicate of the original vinyl event, but on CD. You'll see what Bill had to say about this in the liner notes insert I provided where I quote Bill's view of this performance and any subsequent publication of it. That will make clear what this CD reissue is all about.

As for sonics, well, it took me three years to find the best A to D converter (also now used by Allen Sides of Ocean Way and Doug Sax and Bill Schnee). The sound of the CD is pretty good and a bit better than the LP due to the fact I had the masters right there and went directly to the best digital I was capable of. You'll hear that the CD is very nice. I have always loved analog because it sounds more like music to me, but digital is improving bit by bit (literally I guess) and you'll hear some of this on the CD. With that said, I'd love to follow it all up with vinyl.

Please let me know if anymore comments or questions.

Jonathan

Edited by JLH

It's some of the most incredible 30 minutes of music ever recorded. Its setting in a body of work that spans a few years in the mid-Sixties, as well as spurring on further orchestral explorations and cementing the breadth of Dixon's more contemporary work makes this record essential listening.

I would add that, for some a memorized piece might be by Bach or Beethoven or Ellington, one that they can call up and listen to in their heads at any instant. For me it is "Metamorphoses 1962-1966."