Bill Dixon - Intents & Purposes reissue

colinmce

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great for him. Maybe there's hope.

Now I'm confused. Why is this great for Dixon if he's dead? My understanding was that he refused to reissue it - ? I thought this was the thing that put him off the record industry as he got paid a dollar or something? Help me out here...

Yeah, he did pay for the studio time and leased the master to Savoy for $1/year, IIRC.

Assuming he got it back towards the end of the '60s, from what I understand a storage space containing a lot of his early tapes was lost. So it could be gone. It's a very good record although not entirely indicative of the direction he'd go in the future.

• 5 months later...

Quick question - I just got this from CD Universe and am having trouble playing it on my PC and on my stereo. It is a gold-bottom disc, unlike the Hemphill, which is silver.

Are all copies gold discs? If I can't get this to play I'll contact CD Universe, but am wondering if there is something unusual about the copy I received before I go back to them.

It's definitely a beautiful package. I can't wait to hear the music.

Dear All, the gold is a mistake. There are seven blank gold CDs floating around and this is one of them. They were mixed in with the shipment to the distributor. They are blank and have no music on them. Please contact me at once if you have a gold blank CD. I'll replace it at once at no cost obviously. Sorry about this. Jonathan H.

Edited by JLH

Dear All, the gold is a mistake. There are seven blank gold CDs floating around and this is one of them. They were mixed in with the shipment to the distributor. They are blank and have no music on them. Please contact me if at once if you have a gold blank CD. I'll replace it at once at no cost obviously. Sorry about this. Jonathan H.

WOW

John B should win a prize

reminds me of the Futurama Episode "Fry & The Slurm Factory"

John B!

This is what it takes to get me back to the board.

Life doesn't get any quieter as the kids get older.

How are you doing?

And many thanks to JLH for handling this so quickly.

What he didn't mention is the gold cd also gains me entry to Willy Wonka's candy factory. (I'm not sure I was supposed to mention that...)

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Even later to the party, which has long since left town and spontaneously combusted but after reading London Jazz Collector's blog entry on this one (a rare CD excursion for him) and hearing the (phenomenal) samples, I have put in an immediate order for the CD. No doubt it will become rare as gold dust in the not too distant future. How did I let this one pass me by? :huh:

Edited by sidewinder

55 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Even later to the party, which has long since left town and spontaneously combusted but after reading London Jazz Collector's blog entry on this one (a rare CD excursion for him) and hearing the (phenomenal) samples, I have put in an immediate order for the CD. No doubt it will become rare as gold dust in the not too distant future. How did I let this one pass me by? :huh:

I hope you did previously get the phenomenal International Phonograph CD reissue of Julius Hemphill's Dogon A.D. which is now indeed expensive as gold dust.

Thanks all.  At this point my only possible reissue is the Joe Daley.  Sony has changed their policy (always for the worse) and we can no longer fix their poor quality sound.  I have to take the digital transfer they give me and in fact I can't even choose the best CD manufacturer or mastering house.  (Well Steve Marlowe is the best and always did my mastering).  Hence my last release of Ran Blake, music I love, Film Noir is their original mixed down recording.  I've lost my ability to apply the quality to a reissue that I wish to and that is required.  But somehow I'll some day, someway figure out the Joe Daley.  But after that is done, I can't think of much else I'll put out, although one never knows.  There are other record labels and other artists.  I did put out the ones that I craved releasing (Hemphill, Dixon, Steig, Fischer, Tapscott, Carter/Braford.  Those are absolutely essential and brilliant works.  So I'm happy about that.  Daley although not brilliant by any means, has an absolutely brilliant bassist (Russell Thorne) and a very good drummer (Hal Russel) so it is worth doing not to mention pretty rare.  

Edited by jonathanhorwich
minor grammar

1 hour ago, jonathanhorwich said:

....  Daley although not brilliant by any means, has an absolutely brilliant bassist (Russell Thorne) and a very good drummer (Hal Russel) so it is worth doing not to mention pretty rare.  

Agreed ....

Edit : Could you pls at least be a little more specific how much unissued material is/will be available ?

Edited by soulpope

Thanks Paul.  I appreciate that.  I was not thrilled with Sony's concept of good sound and that dampened my drive to do more with them.  

Soulpope -- thanks.  Not sure what you meant by: "Could you pls at least be a little more specific how much unissued material is/will be available?"

I have not looked into many reissues lately.  When I get the drive to do so I'll take the wonderful listing the contributors of this site gave me and see if there is something there.

But for sure someday I'll do Joe Daley.