Bill Dixon - Intents & Purposes reissue

colinmce

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear All, I thought you'd like to read this brilliant write up on the Bill Dixon Intents and Purposes reissue. I have already seen several very favorable reviews but am posting this one as it is brilliantly written and really describes the importance of the music so well. This writer has his thing together.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=39211

Jonathan

Edited by JLH

I bought the CD and it is Great. Count me in for the LP re-issue. I don't know how many copies are in this "Limited Edition" pressing, but I don't look for this to be available very long before it is OOP. In fact I think I'll buy another copy and keep it sealed :g

Dear All,

I made 1000 copies total and have shipped over 600 to the distributor as it is selling very briskly so far even without any reviews in major mags. Even only selling 50 a month they will be gone in 8 months. And if they keep selling as they are now they'll be gone in one or two months. Dusty Groove sold 50 alone in the last few weeks. I'd have to have a huge demand several months from now where I knew I could sell another 500. Chances are I will not reprint.

This for all your infos so you know what is what. Jonathan

Dear Mr. Jlhoots,

I'd say about three months down the road. I'll have things done and Dixon simmered down to a dull roar. I'm working on the cover and packaging right now to get that off to Japan and I'm upgrading my mastering line for the transfer of the master tapes to digital, the hardest part of all. Took me three years to find the best equipment for each step. I'm still comparing wires right now to see which is best and then I'm basically there and will transfer the tapes to digital 24/96 and maybe DSD as well just to have it. If I can't get it to sound better than the original vinyl then I know I've failed (and I prefer vinyl to digital if I have to make the choice, which I don't).

Jonathan

My copy of "Intents and Purposes" arrived today and I'm really impressed with the care that you have taken, Jonathan, with both the packaging and the recording. It looks gorgeous and even to my "cloth" ears, it sounds wonderful. Thank you so much for making this long OOP recording available once more.

Is "Dogon A.D." similarly going to be a straight copy of the original LP?

Dear Head Man, Thank you so much for your kind words. Very very appreciated. Dogon A.D. will be the exact same treatment except there was one tune left off Dogon A.D. due to the length of the vinyl at that time and it will be included as it was from the same session. The tune was Hard Blues. It is pretty long too. So that will be the one exception as I'm trying to recreate what took place on the vinyl or what was intended to take place on the vinyl but could not due to time constrictions. Thanks for your interest. Jonathan

Dear Head Man, Thank you so much for your kind words. Very very appreciated. Dogon A.D. will be the exact same treatment except there was one tune left off Dogon A.D. due to the length of the vinyl at that time and it will be included as it was from the same session. The tune was Hard Blues. It is pretty long too. So that will be the one exception as I'm trying to recreate what took place on the vinyl or what was intended to take place on the vinyl but could not due to time constrictions. Thanks for your interest. Jonathan

That's great news - I was wondering whether you would be including the extra track. I'll be putting an order in when it's released.

Just wanted to mention that I got a copy of this (it's record store day, and I popped into the local brick and mortar before a meeting of sorts). I'm normally not one for no-frills/completely faithful LP reproduction CD reissues, but this is a fantastic release. The sound is really immersive and intensely clear in the bottom end--better than I've ever heard this music. Since so much of Dixon's music has this roomy, bass-heavy sound, lucidity at all registers is kind of a must (it's sorely lacking from Thoughts, and the consensus on that album is a bit of a testament to that). The vividness of this transfer clarifies a bit, for me, the relationship between Intents and Purposes and Dixon's later large-scale work... great to have music this old sound so now.

That will be a stellar release, one that we have been dreaming of for some time. I also hope very much that you will be able to improve on the sound quality of The Hard Blues, which is pretty poor on the CD releases of Coon Bidness.

I just picked up the Bill Dixon. Very nice job!

Edited by John L

Dear John L.,

Thank you. I will improve on the quality of the Hard Blues for sure. I spent three years almost full time researching analog to digital technology and you should hear a very nice improvement. That is one of the reasons for putting this stuff out. Put it out with good sound quality so the music is not interfered with. Most CDs are degraded by the original A to D transfer as there are only a handful of great A to D converters and by the blank disc itself and by the burner that makes the CD master for manufacturing, and finally the wire used and the AC conditioner/power system. Anyway, I think you'll be pleased with Hemphill. Well, as soon as I finish the testing on which professional line level wire sounds best, I will make the transfer to digital and we'll move forward quickly from there. I want it out on the heels of Dixon, which right now shows no signs of fizzling. It is almost sold out in one month. Caught me off guard. I may have to print more as it hasn't even been reviewed in major magazines and if it is, and there are none available, I don't think that would be right. I'll have to see.

Jonathan

Edited by JLH

Dear John L.,

Thank you. I will improve on the quality of the Hard Blues for sure. I spent three years almost full time researching analog to digital technology and you should hear a very nice improvement. That is one of the reasons for putting this stuff out. Put it out with good sound quality so the music is not interfered with. Most CDs are degraded by the original A to D transfer as there are only a handful of great A to D converters and by the blank disc itself and by the burner that makes the CD master for manufacturing, and finally the wire used and the AC conditioner/power system. Anyway, I think you'll be pleased with Hemphill. Well, as soon as I finish the testing on which professional line level wire sounds best, I will make the transfer to digital and we'll move forward quickly from there. I want it out on the heels of Dixon, which right now shows no signs of fizzling. It is almost sold out in one month. Caught me off guard. I may have to print more as it hasn't even been reviewed in major magazines and if it is, and there are none available, I don't think that would be right. I'll have to see.

Jonathan

Great! Thank you so much for what you are doing. Some of us REALLY appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear AllenLowe,

Just saw this. Sorry. I got the master tapes from DA Music of Germany which owns the rights. This is very good for this issue because I have the tapes in my hands and can play them back over very very good analog gear and transfer to digital with total control. So I'm happy about that.

Jonathan

Got my copy yesterday. What a wonderful reissue! I've never heard the music before, but so far I'd say this one definitely deserves the hype. :)

Any chance of a legitimate reissue of that original Bill Dixon / Archie Shepp quartet album on Savoy in the future?

Is that the one released a few years ago on Free Factory (that's a bootleg I'm sure?) I don't think we'll be seeing official reissues of any Savoy material that isn't a repackaging of things Atlantic/Savoy put out before. I don't have any official news, that's just a feeling from observing the recent past.