Black Artist Group - "In Paris, Ariès 1973"

king ubu

BAG2_banner.jpg

I don't think this has been mentioned here...

Limited to 500, with exclusive liner notes by Benjamin Looker, author of the book "Point From Which Creation Starts: The Black Artists' Group Of St. Louis"

This album was originally released in very small numbers as a private pressing in France in the year of 1973. The new reissue has been made from Oliver Lake's LP, under the assumption that most likely, the master tape is no longer in existence.

Joseph Bowie: Trombone, Conga, Miscellaneous Instruments.

Baikida E.J. Carroll: Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Bass, Log Drum, Cowbells, Miscellaneous Instruments.

Charles W. Shaw, JR "Bobo": Drums, Woodblocks, Gong, Miscellaneous Instruments, Stylophone.

Floyd Le Flore: Trumpet, Miscellaneous Instruments, Voice.

Oliver Lake : Saxophones, Flûte, Marimbas, Mud Drums, Miscellaneous Instruments.

Recorded Live in memory of Kada Kahan. Recorded Live in Paris – Aries 1973.

"The Black Artists Group was an unit not unlike that of The Art Ensemble of Chicago. Except they only recorded this one document and it only came out in France on a label named after the group. This is squeaky, spindly stuff and very OPEN and a good indication of what was happening in the early 70′s with members Oliver Lake (later of the infamous World Saxophone Quartet) and Joseph Bowie (Art Ensemble’s Lester Bowie’s bro, later to start Defunkt). If you like Art Ensemble of Chicago (circa the 1970s) and the Human Arts Ensemble, you’ll like this recording. Needless to say, this music is hard as hell to come by." (Thurston Moore)

More on the BAG on Oliver Lake's website.

The LP is being reissued by Rank Records, based in Berlin. More information can be found on their website: http://www.rank-records.com/

Expected date of release is Feb. 21, 2011.

blackartistsgroup.jpg

I know... I just copied the promo blurb from the guys who actually produce this reissue.

I've sent in my order for sure... the stuff was around in blogland several years back but much of it failed to ultimately grab my attention (which too rarely happens anyway if I'm just listening on the silly ipod with earbuds - I want a physical product!)

So this reissue is most welcome to me, if just to own the first (and I think best) of this bunch of albums.

Not too much of a Ware fan here, I'm afraid... but yes, those who like him should enjoy that release (expected a bit later). Not sure, but I think it has a few titles not on the single CD release. (No, seems I was wrong there...)

Edited by king ubu

Not too much of a Ware fan here, I'm afraid... but yes, those who like him should enjoy that release (expected a bit later). Not sure, but I think it has a few titles not on the single CD release. (No, seems I was wrong there...)

ware.jpg

Edited to say: the 2LP reissue of "Onecept" by David S. Ware indeed contains two exclusive bonus tracks

Thanks for starting this thread, king ubu.

The guys who put out these records (Rank Records) are passionate music and vinyl-lovers and they will make sure that the vinyl sounds as good and the records are pressed as possible. All of their previous releases achieve this high standard. So buy with confidence. :)

I am in no way affiliated with Rank Records, but music lovers should support small labels that do a great job.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my LP about a week ago... wanted to wait posting about it until I would have had time for a second spin, but anyway - this is a very good album, very much worth hearing! One of my favorite spots must be Lake's searing soprano playing on one of the four tracks!

For 'merikins, there's also the possibility to order it from Adam Lore's 50 Miles of Elbow Room.

Here's his blurb from his news mail:

BLACK ARTISTS GROUP

In Paris, Aries 1973

Rank Records

LP

$24

Great to finally have the first ever reissue of this elusive free jazz classic from the Black Artists Group. Man, Oliver Lake was on fire during this period: the Solidarity Unit LP (still in stock here), Human Arts Ensemble, Bob Reid’s “Africa is Calling Me,” etc. Limited edition of 500 copies, with an extensive essay on B.A.G. written by Benjamin Looker, author of “Point From Which Creation Starts: The Black Artists Group Of St. Louis”. Issued on Rank Records, who also reissued Arthur Doyle’s “Alabama Feeling” and will also soon be pressing up a 2LP version of David S. Ware’s “Onecept”.

Joseph Bowie: trombone, conga, miscellaneous instruments

Baikida E.J. Carroll: trumpet, flugelhorn, bass, log drum, cowbells, miscellaneous instruments

Charles W. “Bobo” Shaw: drums, woodblocks, gong, miscellaneous instruments, stylophone

Floyd Le Flore: trumpet, miscellaneous instruments, voice

Oliver Lake: saxophones, flute, marimbas, mud drums, miscellaneous instruments

One of my favorite spots must be Lake's searing soprano playing on one of the four tracks!

I guess I meant "soaring" :crazy:

Just ordered it from Adam. Thanks for the link!

Welcome! Hope you'll enjoy it!

But then I do assume you've been somewhat familiar with the music for a while :w

One of my favorite spots must be Lake's searing soprano playing on one of the four tracks!

I guess I meant "soaring" :crazy:

Just ordered it from Adam. Thanks for the link!

Welcome! Hope you'll enjoy it!

But then I do assume you've been somewhat familiar with the music for a while :w

Oh yes! Heard it all from one of "those" blogs......

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to get it. Seeing how the master tapes are AWOL I guess it's the best we're gonna get.

I think so too, though sometimes master tapes re-appear. The pressing is really excellent too. And the essay serves as an interesting introduction.

I would also like to add that Oliver Lake provided the record that was used for mastering this reissue.

Edited by nail75

There were other albums produced by the units of the Black Artist Group, just not under that name. The Children of the Sun, for example. The Human Arts Emsemble is also BAG.

Yes and isn't it shameful that there appears to be only ONE CD by The Human Arts Ensemble currently in print: 'Junk Trap' on Black Saint. Why have neither of the Group's releases on Freedom/Arista ever been re-issued (or have they?). Plus there are a couple from 1976: 'Trio Performance Vols 1 & 2' on the Circle label that are well worth worth hearing again. Is it because the masters have been lost or what?