Joe Harriott

Has Mosaic ever covered a non US jazz artist/group?

What about a Joe Harriott Columbia Box - He released/coreleased 8 LPs & 3 EPS two of which were combined into a further LP

Most of this material has never had CD release (4 LP's have but are now on the endangered list)

This would be too big for a Mosaic Select & would require the Big Box treatment.

Any support out there for this?

While we're on the subject the Gearbox label has released an LP only recording of a 1962 BBC session.

Edited by romualdo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes: George Shearing, who was from the U.K.; Oscar Peterson and Maynard Ferguson, who were both Canadian; Johnny Richards, who was from Mexico; Toshiko Akiyoshi, who was born in Japan; and Django Reinhardt, who was born in Belgium.

What about a Joe Harriott Columbia Box - He released/coreleased 8 LPs & 3 EPS two of which were combined into a further LP

Most of this material has never had CD release (4 LP's have but are now on the endangered list)

This would be too big for a Mosaic Select & would require the Big Box treatment.

While we're on the subject the Gearbox label has released an LP only recording of a 1962 BBC session.

Gearbox have also just released "Partying with Joe" a quartet session informally recorded in 1956. My copy arrived yesterday, sound is quite acceptable under the circumstances with Harriott sounding quite Bird like.

I would send them an email suggestion. Sometimes they listen :excited:

So, what are the albums?

- Free Form (Jazzland, 1960)

- Abstract (Columbia, 1961)

- Movement (Columbia, 1963)

- High Spirits (Columbia, 1964)

- Indo Jazz Suite (Columbia, 1965)

- Indo Jazz Fusions (Columbia/Atlantic, 1966)

- Indo Jazz Fusions (II) (Columbia, 1967)

- Personal Portrait (Columbia, 1967)

- Swings High (Melodisc/Cadillac 1967) (probably not?)

- Hum Dono (Columbia 1969)

I guess a Select with the six non indo-albums wouldn't fit... but I'd really see that as a possibility.

Not sure a big sucker has enough of a selling perspective - Harriott isn't nearly well-known, alas! (But then a Mosaic set might change that...)

yeah, yank the Jazzland and Melodisc titles out and you'd have a slimmer box. If it didn't have the Indo-Jazz stuff you might be able to fit it all onto a Select; those other recs aren't that lengthy.

Hm, no "Free Form" in there? The heartpiece would be missing, no?

At least that's the first Harriott I heard and still one of my most beloved albums!

Maybe just the quintet records on a Select? The two Jazzland titles, Southern Horizons and Free Form followed by the 3 Columbias. Sounds more reasonable, but does Mosaic have access to Jazzland, which is owned by Concord? Just the three Columbia quintet albums would make for a very brief set-- probably too brief by Mosaic's standards, but I'd shell out for it anyways.

If I'm not mistaken, FREE FORM was licensed by Riverside / Jazzland for the US market. The same may be the case with SOUTHERN HORIZONS, but I've seen no evidence to the contrary (i.e., how was this session, engineered by Joe Meek FWIW, originally issued in the UK?) Also, a quick search of Amazon.co.uk reveals that the SOUTHERN HORIZONS tracks are available for MP3 download courtesy "Harrison James Music" ???

Harriott is definitely an artist deserving of some major retrospective treatment, whether by Mosaic or some other party. Let's make it happen!

EDIT:

Found this Harriott discography on the web. Can't vouch for its accuracy or completeness, but it appears all the Jazzland material was originally recorded for Columbia UK.

http://vzone.virgin.net/davidh.taylor/harriott.htm

Edited by Joe

If I'm not mistaken, FREE FORM was licensed by Riverside / Jazzland for the US market. The same may be the case with SOUTHERN HORIZONS, but I've seen no evidence to the contrary (i.e., how was this session, engineered by Joe Meek FWIW, originally issued in the UK?)

I seem to remember P.D. on Board Krypton saying that the Southern Horizons material was originally released in the UK as two different Columbia EPs.

Only one session was engineered by Meek, btw. The other half was done by Dick Lazenby.

Yeah... I would like to see the Hum Dono part of such a package but its connection to the Indo-Jazz records might make it too much of a ringer, esp. if we - we being Mosaic's A&R :g - but a select w/ the early 60s quintet sides makes the most sense, especially if it were the material licensed from EMI.

Yeah... I would like to see the Hum Dono part of such a package but its connection to the Indo-Jazz records might make it too much of a ringer, esp. if we - we being Mosaic's A&R :g - but a select w/ the early 60s quintet sides makes the most sense, especially if it were the material licensed from EMI.

Speaking of EMI, Citigroup just took over there... :excl:

Speaking of EMI, Citigroup just took over there... :excl:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-02-01/citigroup-takes-control-of-emi-ending-hands-ownership.html

Yeah, the quintets on a Select - that would be swell!

Btw, I was in touch with Mosaic's Fred tonight (about my most recent order) and sent him a link to this discussion here. He said he'd pass it on to Michael C. Let's cross our fingers! I'd really enjoy any Mosaic release with Harriott's music!

Yeah, the quintets on a Select - that would be swell!

Btw, I was in touch with Mosaic's Fred tonight (about my most recent order) and sent him a link to this discussion here. He said he'd pass it on to Michael C. Let's cross our fingers! I'd really enjoy any Mosaic release with Harriott's music!

Now I am getting excited!!! :rlol

Here's the list of his Columbia releases (8 LP's & 3 EP's) - you could manage a Mosaic Select with #'s 1-6 & 10 (other 4 are collaborations) but I would prefer a "big box" Mosaic, covering all of this music & maybe throw in "Free Form"

If a Mosaic was done, that would have to be one of my buy's of the decade!!

1. JH Quartet - Col EP SEG 7665 (rec 1955)

2. Blue Harriott - Col EP SEG 7939 (rec 1959)

3. A Guy Called Joe - Col EP SEG 8070 (rec 1960) - The Jazzland Southern Horizons LP 937 was a compilation of this & the "Blue Harriott" EP

4. Abstract - Col LP 1477 (rec 61-62)

5. Movement - Col LP 1627 (rec 63)

6. High Spirits - Col LP 1692 (rec 64)

7. Indo-Jazz Suite - Col LP 6025 (rec 65)

8. Indo-Jazz Fusions - Col LP 6122 (rec 66)

9. Indo-Jazz Fusions II - Col LP 6215 (rec 67)

10. Personal Portrait - Col LP 6249 (rec 67)

11. Hum-Dono - Col LP 6354 (rec 69)

BTW Alan Robertson's OOP book on JH (Fire In His Soul - Northway Publications) is being republished this May with minor alterations

Edited by romualdo