Joe Harriott

We need to bear in mind that some of the master tapes for Harriott sessions like 'Hum Dono' may no longer exist (I've certainly heard no definite confirmation that they survive in master form - no legit 'Hum Dono' issue has as yet appeared).

Most of the Harriott UK Columbia sessions were privately produced by Dennis Preston at Lansdowne Studios under the 'Lansdowne Jazz Series' then issued by the likes of Pye/Nixa and UK Columbia (now owned by Universal). Some of the Columbia material from the 60s (e.g. Neil Ardleyalbums) was recently re-issued by them under the 'Impressed Re-Pressed' imprint but it was apparently like getting blood out of a stone after the first batch came out around the time of 'Jazz Britannia'. Other UK Columbia releases have been put out by BGO (e.g. the Rendell/Carr Quintets).

Redial put out a couple of the Joe Harriott sessions on CD ('Free Form' and 'Abstract') but as yet no sign of 'Movement', 'Southern Horizons', 'High Spirits','Personal Portrait' (the one with David Mack), various EPs or the Amancio d'Silva collaborations.

Maybe Mosaic can pull off a miracle by talking Universal into it. Certainly hope so - I would pre-order in a flash. ^_^

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW Alan Robertson's OOP book on JH (Fire In His Soul - Northway Publications) is being republished this May with minor alterations

That is an outstanding book - and essential reading for the 'Harriott Enthusiast'.

Hoping that Hum Dono makes it out as an LP reissue or Vocalion/Dutton Labs CD, BGO, anything...

Vocalion/Dutton would be my preference, for sure!

But as you say, BGO, LP, whatever... the music's fantastic and I'd love to have a "real" copy of it!

Incredible that it hasn't happened to date. With 'Windmill Tilter' having come out from them (which was considered a long shot) I guess there must be hope. Maybe there are legal issues to address? (just speculating).

Edited by sidewinder

Yeah, the quintets on a Select - that would be swell!

Btw, I was in touch with Mosaic's Fred tonight (about my most recent order) and sent him a link to this discussion here. He said he'd pass it on to Michael C. Let's cross our fingers! I'd really enjoy any Mosaic release with Harriott's music!

:excited::tup:tup

Too bad that Lansdowne Studios in Notting Hill has now closed (as recently 2006 I think - now banker condos ;) ). Adrian Kerridge (original engineer for many of the sessions) may have been able to provide some leads, perhaps. In any case, he would be a shoe-in to do the Mosaic booklet notes !

I called in at the reception around 2005 and unfortunately I couldn't pay homage downstairs at the 'Holy of Holys' as they were recording some film music. Too bad that I never got the chance for a return try and to get to meet Adrian.

Most of the Harriott UK Columbia sessions were privately produced by Dennis Preston at Lansdowne Studios under the 'Lansdowne Jazz Series' then issued by the likes of Pye/Nixa and UK Columbia (now owned by Universal).

Preston was fully credited on both US Jazzland LPs. Joe Meek also received credit for the one session he produced.

Yes - Abstract appeared on UK Columbia over here and on Capitol in the US I think. Southern Horizons - a Jazzland 12" issue - compiled several UK Columbia EPs such as 'Blue Harriott'.

Joe Meek helped Preston to set up the Lansdowne Studios and engineered many of the late 1950s sessions (e.g. Kenny Baker and Kenny Graham, both Nixa) - at the very start of his short career. To me, this makes it scandalous that the studios weren't preserved 'for the nation'.

Edited by sidewinder

Free Form was issued as a UK Jazzland, I know that much.

Yes, my LP of that title is that issue. The 'Abstract' I have is the UK Columbia.

Don't forget also that there are Harriott appearances still available on Michael Garrick 'Poetry & Jazz In Concert' (Vocalion - reissue of the Argo LPs) and Michael Garrick 'Black Marigolds' and 'Promises' (also Vocalion - and some absolutely essential Harriott on these too). Too bad that the Garrick 'Poetry & Jazz 250' box was never reissued !

One other UK Columbia missing from the list that I can think of is Laurie Johnson's 'Synthesis' - a 'third stream' session recorded by Adrian Kerridge at Watford Town Hall and with Joe leading the sax section (which included Tubby Hayes and Ronnie Scott I think).

Edited by sidewinder

So we're all set, then, and ready to roll?

Don't hold your breath.

FWIW, I'd buy one.

If Columbia UK is not a Sony-owned enterprise, it's not likely that this will happen.

Columbia U.K. is owned by EMI.

However, I understand from Sidewinder's earlier post that Harriott's Columbia material is owned by other parties.

However, I understand from Sidewinder's earlier post that Harriott's Columbia material is owned by other parties.

I'm not certain on that one, Hans. It does seem bizarre though that such sought-after albums as 'Movement' have never been legitimately reissued (I don't think the Japanese have even reissued that one). This in itself tends to indicate underlying contractual issues. Reissues of the whole UK Columbia 'catalogue' have been very patchy and were only temporarily opened up when Universal UK did that 'Impressed Repressed' series to coincide with Gilles Peterson's CDs and the TV series 'Jazz Britannia'. I believe that series producer Tony Higgins gave up when the 'Vol 3' compilation wasn't issued by Universal (they apparently lost interest after the initial media brouha).

Sadly Chuck may be right but I hope this isn't the case ! For a Mosaic big box they could also include a bundle of Shake Keane sessions to increase the size, perhaps? (e.g. his mega-rare Airborne EPs/LPs, 'That's the Noise' on Ace of Clubs, 'New Directions'/David Mack - UK Columbia).

Edited by sidewinder

Sadly Chuck may be right but I hope this isn't the case ! For a Mosaic big box they could also include a bundle of Shake Keane sessions to increase the size, perhaps? (e.g. his mega-rare Airborne EPs/LPs, 'That's the Noise' on Ace of Clubs, 'New Directions'/David Mack - UK Columbia).

But would increased size lead to more sales?

My reasoning is it would rather lead to less sales - that's why I'd be more in favour of a Select.

Otherwise, to me, it would be "the bigger the better" - there's lots of fine music there that I've never even heard or don't properly own... and I'd be all the happier if more of that was included!

I'd rather see the effort (and its not in Mosaics area of normal operations) devoted to getting Hum Dono out (and, while we're at it, Cleopatra's Needle from Ronnie Ross). And maybe getting the Joe Harriott recordings already digitalised put up somewhere where they could be purchased easily by download for those who do not have earlier issues.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

The Ronnie Ross was out as a Japanese re-press a few years ago.

Which probably means there are no end of illegal downloads available.

In this day and age it seems a pity that there are not legal alternatives. I can understand why pressing a CD version might be uneconomic; but putting up a download version (no need to remaster) and having it permanently available would seem to be a relatively inexpensive option for whoever owns the rights. Ditto Hum Dono.

And it wouldn't prevent the issue of those discs on CD, vinyl or whatever with posh packaging at a later date for the market that prefers them that way.

Deletion, witholding and eventual re-release seems to me to be a marketing strategy that is well past its sell by date.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Indeed. Clifford. Which only tends to indicate to me that in the case of 'Hum Dono' maybe the masters are lost or there are serious legal complications. Unusual that a session this good hasn't come out already courtesy of the Japanese.

Which probably means there are no end of illegal downloads available.

In this day and age it seems a pity that there are not legal alternatives. I can understand why pressing a CD version might be uneconomic; but putting up a download version (no need to remaster) and having it permanently available would seem to be a relatively inexpensive option for whoever owns the rights. Ditto Hum Dono.

And it wouldn't prevent the issue of those discs on CD, vinyl or whatever with posh packaging at a later date for the market that prefers them that way.

Deletion, witholding and eventual re-release seems to me to be a marketing strategy that is well past its sell by date.

More and more I agree with this. And, as mentioned in another thread, and as outlined nicely here, the economic benefit of making digital downloads easily and affordably available for vast swaths of "limited interest" material could be -- has proven to be -- substantial.

We'd all get to listen to music that is locked away from us now. And record companies could monetize a considerable pile of assets that now sit dormant.

We'd all get to listen to music that is locked away from us now.

Not all of us, the "non-downloaders" (like me) wouldn't.

I'm pretty much a non-downloader, too. Although that hasn't always been the case.

You, or I, can choose not to listen to a piece of music because it's not being delivered the way we prefer, or we can spend way too much money to obtain it in the format we prefer, while others will be able to obtain that same music more readily, and for a fraction of the cost, putting cash in the pockets of those who actually own the music (as opposed to cash in the pockets of some guy on eBay).

As for a Harriott Mosaic, I'm not familiar with the man's music beyond the wonderful 'Free Form,' but I'm sure it would be an amazing project.

As for a Harriott Mosaic, I'm not familiar with the man's music beyond the wonderful 'Free Form,' but I'm sure it would be an amazing project.

Just imagine 3 or 4 or 5 discs of similarly wonderful music! :excited:

I'm in the non-DL camp... I still can't bring myself to pay 10-15$ for some crappy MP3 without any art and information.

If that changes (to FLAC plus full cover art in readable quality) I might change my mind eventually.