RVG Reissues of Miles Davis

Leeway

I know that Rudy's work on the RVG edition of "Birth of the Cool" has received widespread praise. I was curious what others thought of the RVG editions of "Miles Davis Vol.1" and "Miles Davis Vol.2"? Is the sound quality greatly improved from earlier CD issues?

Also, regarding "Birth of the Cool," how do you think Rudy's remaster compares with the "Complete Birth of the Cool" edition put out by Capitol Jazz, which has the live sessions? The CD states that the studio sessions were remastered by Mark Levinson, and "edited" by Kurt Lundvall (any relation to Bruce??) "using Sonic Solutions with High Resolution 88.2KHz sampling rate." I don't know what the hell that actually means but it sounds impressive. How does it compare with Rudy's work?

Guest Mnytime

Well the RVG version had a much better source from which he made the remaster. I would have preferred if they let RVG work on the live stuff or added that in as well so everything would be together. So I would not have to keep both the Complete and the RVG of these recordings.

"using Sonic Solutions with High Resolution 88.2KHz sampling rate." I don't know what the hell that actually means but it sounds impressive.

Sonic Solutions is mainly known for it's noise reduction software. A lot of listeners (including myself) do not like it, because the end product usually sounds clean but lifeless.

"One Sonic Studio software option deserving of special mention is the NoNoise suite of audio noise removal and restoration tools. Sonic Solutions cofounder Dr. James Andrew Moorer's original system was the genesis of the Sonic Studio workstation. Originally conceived over a decade ago, the venerable NoNoise system is still the worldwide standard for removal of pops, clicks, crackles, and broadband noise from TV and film soundtracks, music masters, and forensic recordings. "

http://www.sonicstudio.com/products.html

I have the vol. 1 mini-lp JRVG as well as the Miles JRVG jewel box (TOCJ-66111-12) which includes a few extra numbers not found on Vol. 1 & 2. Wasn't there a consensus over at BNBB that the US RVGs and the JRVGs were cut from the same piece of cloth and identical sonically? So when the "Indestructible" US RVG winds up being released by Toshiba as a JRVG, it'll be exactly the same?

Actually R, I believe that US and Japanese RVGs are NOT cut from the same cloth. At least not in the case of these early ones; the separate One and Two Miles were made before the Complete double JRVG which used the disc sources as the American separate counterpart RVGs did. And I don't believe that any of the JRVG single releases were actually sonically the same or using the same masters by RVG as the American versions (when applicable.)

The two cd Japanese Complete Miles Davis JRVG should be nearly the same as the American separate volumes. . . though I bet the polarity is reversed. (Seriously!)

All cds are mastered  at 88.2 kHz sampling rate.

They sure made it sound spectacular. :blink: I figured the Sonic Solution was some kind of noise reduction system. I will have to A/B the RVG and the "Lundvall" versions of "BOTC."

As for "Vols 1 and 2," I have a chance to pick up the RVGs cheap, so, thanks to the comments here, I will go ahead and get them, and sell off my other copies to the local used CD store (and get a trade on something else of course :)

• 3 weeks later...