*** DVD CORNER ***

Watched my DVD of Stagecoach last night, the first time I'd ever seen the film. After suffering through amateurish camera work, a predictable plot and acting that made the worst silents I've seen look subtle, could someone please tell me why this film has the reputation it has?

Cuz it's cool.

Wait a minute, were you talking about Spike Lee's "X"?

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched one I'd never seen before last night: The Lion in Winter, with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn. Visually, it looked like some washed out seventies television movie with crappy camera angles to boot. But the dialogue and the acting...damn! :tup

Oh yeah! It's one of my favorites. Peter O'Toole really brings Henry II to life! And Katharine isn't too shabby either. :)

It is very amusing to see young versions of Anthony Hopkins & Timothy Daulton, but their parents steal the show.

Completely different sort of movie, but if you want more O'Toole after this and haven't seen My Favorite Year, it's another role that Peter nails. As an added bonus, it also stars the actor to the right in Aric's avatar. :lol:

Completely different sort of movie, but if you want more O'Toole after this and haven't seen  My Favorite Year, it's another role that Peter nails. As an added bonus, it also stars the actor to the right in Aric's avatar.  :lol:

PLEASE tell me he's not still using that "Perfect Strangers" cover... :ph34r:

Please don't tell me you know the name of the show on the cover of the TV Guide! :ph34r:

:P

anyone pick up this?

ss1

The new Heat release? I would, only if I knew that they fixed the audio mix from the version I have. With the first DVD release, Michael Mann thought he would be funny and mixed all the dialogue REAL LOW so that we would have to crank up our home audio systems just to hear what the characters are saying. The purpose was so that the special effects sounds (of helicopters and explosions and what not) which happen abruptly would literally knock us out of our La Z Boys. And it does. But I'm not interested in spilling a bowl of Shredded Wheat all over me everytime.

Completely different sort of movie, but if you want more O'Toole after this and haven't seen  My Favorite Year, it's another role that Peter nails. As an added bonus, it also stars the actor to the right in Aric's avatar.  :lol:

PLEASE tell me he's not still using that "Perfect Strangers" cover... :ph34r:

Please don't tell me you know the name of the show on the cover of the TV Guide! :ph34r:

:P

If that ain't it...I don't! Not only that, I'm smug about it...

I didn't watch TV at all for four years from '78 through '82 while I was in the Navy, so if it was on then, I don't know. In any case, I'll admit to not knowing that show. And being annoyed by it whenever I accidentally came across it...

0008539289192_500X500.jpg

anyone pick up this?

ss1

I did. Not much difference from the original, with the exception of a few scenes of granulation fixed up. The sound is the same unfortunately. But the bonus material is excellent.

For the classic comedy and musical lovers, check out these two box sets, and the prices for each!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

What's truly amazing to me, is that each set has a few 2 disc special editions. You could buy Easter Parade and Band Wagon separately for about 40 bucks, or buy the set and get Bells are Ringing, Finian's Rainbow and Brigadoon for about 3 bucks more !

Edited by BERIGAN

Hey Ghost, as you may know...Laura is out March 15th! :tup

An interesting review down near the bottom of the page....

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/bar...well030105.html

Oh yeah... I'm ordering it along with Late's poetry book and an item TBD this weekend.

Actually, there was yet another song Preminger wanted to use as the theme...Ellington's "Sophisticated Lady." Somewhere on the board we have an entire recent thread devoted to the theme music.

This is an excellent box set. Maigret, who's out prowling the streets of Paris, is quite the wry & charming character....one who, much like Inspector Morse, also enjoys his beer. They do a nice job of character development...

With Michael Gambon in the lead, this has got to be good.

Watched one I'd never seen before last night:  The Lion in Winter, with Peter O'Toole and Katherine Hepburn.  Visually, it looked like some washed out seventies television movie with crappy camera angles to boot.  But the dialogue and the acting...damn!  :tup

Oh yeah! It's one of my favorites. Peter O'Toole really brings Henry II to life! And Katharine isn't too shabby either. :)

It is very amusing to see young versions of Anthony Hopkins & Timothy Daulton, but their parents steal the show.

Completely different sort of movie, but if you want more O'Toole after this and haven't seen My Favorite Year, it's another role that Peter nails. As an added bonus, it also stars the actor to the right in Aric's avatar. :lol:

Anybody know if Peter O'Toole's THE RULING CLASS is out on DVD? Quite a film which I last saw when it came out, sometime in '72. I wouldn't mind re-visiting that one, hopefully with good special features.

Anyone get the new DVD of "The Incredibles"? Great movie that I enjoyed even more the second time around on DVD, and Disney is very generous with the bonus material. The cream of the crop is a new short film that shows what was happening back at home with the baby sitter and the baby! :lol::lol::lol:

Well, this isn't that new, but I just recently learned that Welcome Back, Mr. McDonald is out on DVD from Kino. This is a very funny Japanese movie about a radio drama being done live. Each actor keeps making major changes to the script, resulting in a farcical situation. Definitely worth checking out.

Also, a bit more philosophical but very enjoyable movie called After Life is out. In this movie, the dead are given one week to decide on their favorite memory, which is what they will live inside for eternity (this is kinda cool/kinda creepy if you really think hard about it). Anyway, the movie kind of focuses on reluctant souls who have trouble selecting a single positive memory.

Anyone get the new DVD of "The Incredibles"? Great movie that I enjoyed even more the second time around on DVD, and Disney is very generous with the bonus material. The cream of the crop is a new short film that shows what was happening back at home with the baby sitter and the baby! :lol::lol::lol:

I'm glad it's a good set. I'm hoping to get it for my son soon. :D

Creepy.

I have just got back from the local supermarket with some wine for my wife and I, and I have also picked up a copy of the film, for the kids to watch this evening.

Che.

I am trying to get hold of a copy of 'Charles Mingus - Live At Montreux, 1975', which has got some great reviews. I have found some difficulty getting hold of these DVD's here in the UK.

Che.

Anyone get the new DVD of  "The Incredibles"?  Great movie that I enjoyed even more the second time around on DVD, and Disney is very generous with the bonus material.  The cream of the crop is a new short film that shows what was happening back at home with the baby sitter and the baby!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Creepy.

I have just got back from the local supermarket with some wine for my wife and I, and I have also picked up a copy of the film, for the kids to watch this evening.

Che.

Nick Hornby talks about it in the new issue of The Believer. Seems to be in the air, particularly in England!