*** DVD CORNER ***

Both Cat People movies will be included on a single disc.

But me for the box.

We're talking (B-Movie) history, here!

How are the Val Lewton movies with Boris Karloff?

I have only seen Body Snatcher,(Just checked allmovie.com, and all 3 Karloff/Lewton films were made in 1945!) but it is an excellent film!(My favorite Karloff film is the little known "The Walking Dead") Karloff, is just mesmerizing, just amazingly creepy! :ph34r: Here is a blurb from allmovie about Body Snatcher, but see the film, don't go there and have the ending spoiled! ^_^

Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi were given top billing in the Val Lewton-produced The Body Snatcher, but the film's protagonist is played by Henry Daniell. A brilliant 18th century London surgeon, Daniell can only make his humanitarian medical advances by experimenting on cadavers, which is strictly illegal. Karloff plays a Uriah Heep-type cabman who is secretly a grave robber, providing corpses for Daniell's research.

I go to a figure drawing session in Chinatown in DC once a week -- artists and ex museum people go there to unwind and draw for three hours. One person who shows up from time to time is Val Lewton Jr. -- the son of the director! He used to work in the Museum of American Art (as curator I believe), and is now a full time artist. He mentioned that this set was coming out soon......

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only seen Body Snatcher,(Just checked allmovie.com, and all 3 Karloff/Lewton films were made in 1945!) but it is an excellent film!(My favorite Karloff film is the little known "The Walking Dead") Karloff, is just mesmerizing, just amazingly creepy! :ph34r: Here is a blurb from allmovie about Body Snatcher, but see the film, don't go there and have the ending spoiled! ^_^

Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi were given top billing in the Val Lewton-produced The Body Snatcher, but the film's protagonist is played by Henry Daniell. A brilliant 18th century London surgeon, Daniell can only make his humanitarian medical advances by experimenting on cadavers, which is strictly illegal. Karloff plays a Uriah Heep-type cabman who is secretly a grave robber, providing corpses for Daniell's research.

B0009NZ2VU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpgA lot of people on Amazon are mad since all the simpson's sets will not be the same size now, but variety is the spice of life and all that....coming Aug. 16th.....

My first reaction to seeing that was negative, but since my brain supplied it's own "oh, don't be so friggin' anal about it" comment, I guess I'll get over it. :lol:

It's been a long time coming, but according to Ebert, Harold Lloyd's work will be coming out soon in a DVD package, including Safety Last, which I saw on television years ago. As far what's out there now, it is just the public domain films, with probably the best one from Kino called The Harold Lloyd Collection (Slapstick Symposium). Included in this Kino collection are the feature Grandma's Boy (1922), plus the shorts Bumping Into Broadway (1919), An Eastern Westerner (1920), His Royal Slyness (1921), Just Neighbors (1919), I Do (1918), and Number Please (1920).

I probably will continue to rank Lloyd below Chaplin and Keaton, but it is great that this will be coming out, now that the Lloyd family has restored the films and gotten a deal they could live with.

Guest Chaney

My first reaction to seeing that was negative, but since my brain supplied it's own "oh, don't be so friggin' anal about it" comment, I guess I'll get over it.  :lol:

You get the feeling they did this just to piss off anal folks, don't ya? ;)

Not at all.

(They couldn't leave it alone, could they?! They just had to come up with some gimmicky crap idea to make the sets more 'attractive.' What, sales been slipping for each subsequent set? Wanna drum up some renewed interest? Bah! Keep the packaging simple and be done with it. Although, I've never been a fan of that fold out DVD set packaging idea; much prefer the box containg individual slim DVD cases. But still! Wonder if they'll at least print the DVD set info on the spine. Will there be room? Another hunk of plastic to store in the closet. Like I don't have enough crap. I guess no one is forcing me to buy season six but hell! I have the first fiive so I can't stop now. That would be foolish. Mark my words: I'm out of this madness come season... what wat it? When the series took a turn for the uninspired... season six? Seven, was it? I can only take so much. Mark my words... They don't know who they're dealing with!!)

Guest Chaney

The Bob Newhart Show - Say 'Hi' to Bob Again

Posted by Gord Lacey

7/13/2005

Say "Hi, Bob!" again this fall when Fox releases the second season of The Bob Newhart Show on October 4. DVDPlanet let the information slip before Fox has officially announced the title, so we're just going off the information they've posted. It'll be a 3 disc set with all 24 episodes from the second season. The suggested retail price is $29.95, but . Specs include full frame (1.33:1) video, and English mono.

We also have inside information that Bob Newhart has been involved in extras for the set, but we don't know what he's recorded.

:party:

Just got an unopened copy of the Diary of a Chaimbermaid Criterion...for something like six(!) bucks on ebay.  Just arrived yesterday, so I'll be watching it again soon...

Which Diary? Luis Bunuel's (with Jeanne Moreau) or Jean Renoir's (with Paulette Godard)?

Love Jeanne Moreau in the Bunuel...

Just got an unopened copy of the Diary of a Chaimbermaid Criterion...for something like six(!) bucks on ebay.  Just arrived yesterday, so I'll be watching it again soon...

Which Diary? Luis Bunuel's (with Jeanne Moreau) or Jean Renoir's (with Paulette Godard)?

Love Jeanne Moreau in the Bunuel...

This one is the Bunuel. I cheated and watched the first few minutes last night before bed. (You're right. I had forgotten about Moreau!) This is maybe my favorite Bunuel...and certainly some of my favorite editing.

Both Cat People movies will be included on a single disc.

But me for the box.

We're talking (B-Movie) history, here!

Well, I am digging up this post since I just saw that the Karloff film "The Walking Dead" is on late on the 22nd (or early on the 23rd) on Turner! 4:45 A.M., EST. Just 66 minutes long, and directed by Michael Curtis, give it a chance dammit! :P

Edited by BERIGAN

• 2 weeks later...

Someone recently gave me the DVD of The Office, and it is an amazingly funny show, highly recommended! :tup

I just finished watching this a second time, and I don't think a TV series can get any better than this. On one level it's a great comedy, but turn your head just a fraction, and you have a great tragedy of daily life. One last point: Amazing! Redemption with the words "F*** off, Finchy"

david_points_640.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

this might be pretty good....

The Dick Cavett Show - Rock Icons

And in a similar vein:

The Dick Cavett Show - Ray Charles Collection - 2 DVDs (Shout! Factory) Sept 13

— three Cavett shows starting in 1972 featuring Ray Charles (one of them with Charles as the sole guest); he performs 14 songs; includes new intros by Cavett

this might be pretty good....

The Dick Cavett Show - Rock Icons

And in a similar vein:

The Dick Cavett Show - Ray Charles Collection - 2 DVDs (Shout! Factory) Sept 13

— three Cavett shows starting in 1972 featuring Ray Charles (one of them with Charles as the sole guest); he performs 14 songs; includes new intros by Cavett

Nice.

Someone recently gave me the DVD of The Office, and it is an amazingly funny show, highly recommended! :tup

I just finished watching this a second time, and I don't think a TV series can get any better than this. On one level it's a great comedy, but turn your head just a fraction, and you have a great tragedy of daily life. One last point: Amazing! Redemption with the words "F*** off, Finchy"

david_points_640.jpg

You're spot on about the redemption.

I'm glad I took the plunge and bought this. I've watched it through at least three times, and it not only holds up beautifully, it grows.

That's the definition of a classic in whatever genre or medium. Well worth the purchase price.

One of the best shows ever, without a doubt.

It's a shame about the American version of The Office. (Which I haven't seen.)

I do like Steve Carell: The Daily Show, Anchorman. He plays the the David Brent analog in the American version, and has recieived kind notices. But I can't bring myself to brave the thing.

Carell is the title character in the new 40 year old virgin flick. I might see that if I'm bored some weekend, especially for Seth Rogen's appearance (Ken on Freaks and Geeks).

(Edited for clarity)

Edited by Kalo

It's a shame about the American version. (Which I haven't seen.)

I do like Steve Carell: The Daily Show, Anchorman. He plays the the David Brent analog in the American version, and has recieived kind notices. But I can't bring myself to brave the thing.

Carell is the title character in the new 40 year old virgin flick. I might see that if I'm bored some weekend, especially for Seth Rogen's appearance (Ken on Freaks and Geeks).

I saw 40 Year Old Virgin yesterday. Surprisingly good. I saw it for three reasons: Apatow (one of the producers of Freaks and Geeks); Steve Carell of course; and Seth Rogen (actor from Freak and Geeks). Still, my expectations were muted, to say the least. Heretofore strictly a character actor, Carell needed a strong vehicle if he was going to pull off playing lead, and this movie provided that. It's a movie that rarely stops to admire its own cleverness, but moves right along, with plently of fast, funny (and needless to say, raunchy) dialog. Plus, it's got Catherine Keener. I recommend it.

Edited by BruceH

Catherine Keener tips the scales for me.

Carell was brilliant in Anchorman, which also features Will Ferrell's soon-to-be legendary jazz flute take-off. A funny movie.

Virgin is getting good reviews, not least from the astute BruceH. I'm putting it on my list.

Still waiting for Apatow and the rest of these guys to do a movie as good as Freaks and Geeks (or Larry Sanders, and The Ben Stiller Show).

But we all know that television as a medium has been on the whole smarter than the movies for quite a while now..

To stay with the intent of this thread, I must add that all of the above-mentioned entertainment vehicles are currently available on DVD, or will soon be.

Edited by Kalo