*** DVD CORNER ***

• Replies 872
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a Criterion Christmas. Friday night my buddy gave me the 3-disc Criterion Battle of Algiers which we first saw in high school. Amazing movie, still remarkably timely.

This is one of my favorite movies, and Criterion truely gave it the royal treatment. Enjoy!!

Having a Criterion Christmas. Friday night my buddy gave me the 3-disc Criterion Battle of Algiers which we first saw in high school. Amazing movie, still remarkably timely.

This is one of my favorite movies, and Criterion truely gave it the royal treatment. Enjoy!!

It made a huge impression on me back in high school (circa 1979). I saw it again when it was recently re-released and it held up beautifully. I'm really looking forward to digging into this exhaustive and meaty Criterion presentation of the title.

Hey Weizen, have you ever watched the WWII British homefront detective show FOYLE'S WAR? My wife & I have really been getting into this series... gave each other Seasons 1 & 2 for Christmas. Michael Kitchen... :tup:tup

Coincidentally, I have just viewed a couple of episodes from the first season - THE GERMAN WOMAN and LESSON IN MURDER - the DVDs having been available at my local library. Enjoyed them very much and appreciate the production values, e.g., the re-creation of early '40s ambiance in and around the British countryside, as well as the weaving in of wartime concerns with the drama inherent in each mystery. Hope to get a few more out of the library before I start using my Netflix membership to seek them out.

Looks like I'll have to check this one out, Stefan, as I'm one of the few people I know who prefer Kurosawa's films set in contemporary times to the Samurai films (though, of course, I like those too).

You mean you like High and Low more than The Seven Samurai? :o

Seven Samurai's great, but on the whole I do like the modern-dress flicks better. I loved High and Low since I first saw it on the big screen in a sparkling, new-minted print. Never seen The Seven Samurai with a better than ok print, and then there's the issue of bathroom breaks...

I love Ikiru, it's one of my top favorite Kurosawa films, but I must admit that the other favorites are all historical (which is to say, Samorai). But hey, to each his own.

Well, the Peter Gunn is interesting to watch, but like seemingly all "action" shows of that era, seems to move very slow. There was one scene in the first show where I caught a glimpse of Shelley Manne and His Men playing in Mother's nightclub. A real jazz band in a TV show...wow. There's something you don't see nowadays.

All those Foyle's War DVDs are available from shopPBS.com although it's strictly a retail price. However, I did receive Smiley's People through them and am enjoying that very much. I watch it every couple of years and am glad to be able to get rid of the old VHS tapes that I taped from the TV. I also had received last year Tinker Tailor, which I usually watch yearly. One of my favorite shows of all time, not to mention the book.

Looking forward to the MTM release also, as well as Season Three of Bob Newheart.

Question Regarding Zone Free DVD Players

Does anyone here have a Zone Free DVD player?

If so how do you like it? What are the best models available? My budget is about $125.

I've done a bit of research and have learned enough to avoid the really cheap models out there, but am still not to clear what would be the best bet.

I currently have a Toshiba and can’t find any info on unlocking it.

There are a few Zone Free Toshiba's that look interesting. But I just wanted to see if anyone here can recommend a particular model.

I'm sick of waiting for The Fast Show and I'm Alan Partridge to be released in the US.

Thanks!

Alejandro

Hey Weizen, have you ever watched the WWII British homefront detective show FOYLE'S WAR? My wife & I have really been getting into this series... gave each other Seasons 1 & 2 for Christmas. Michael Kitchen... :tup:tup

The Third season was great also

a fantastic Mystery series

The Third season was great also

a fantastic Mystery series

I've seen all of Season 1, "Fifty Ships" from Season 2 (great show) and "War of Nerves" from Season 3.

Season 4 airs in the UK starting on Jan. 15--sadly, it's only two episodes, as opposed to four. :( I've heard varying explanations as to why they've cut it to two shows per season, but at least a Season Five is supposed to be in the works as well. Yeah, it's rare that I fall in love with a TV show these days... but this one has me pretty obsessed. :crazy:

Well, the Peter Gunn is interesting to watch, but like seemingly all "action" shows of that era, seems to move very slow. There was one scene in the first show where I caught a glimpse of Shelley Manne and His Men playing in Mother's nightclub. A real jazz band in a TV show...wow. There's something you don't see nowadays.

Shorty Rogers turns up in one as well.

Yeah, I just saw that! Gunn's girlfriend introduced him and he said, "Hi ya, Shorty!" :D

Got to hear quite a bit of Shorty soloing too.

Yeah, I just saw that! Gunn's girlfriend introduced him and he said, "Hi ya, Shorty!" :D

Got to hear quite a bit of Shorty soloing too.

Yeah, I used that exchange in my Peter Gunn Night Lights show. I think there's also a show where Laurindo Almeida is seen playing guitar in a bar.

Just finished watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai on the recent Criterion DVD releae.

Essential. Perhaps the most silent film made in the sound era.

Bob le Flambeur is still my favorite Melville film; but this one may be the more universally "great" masterpiece to go under his authorship.

I'm glad I own both and I look forward to getting the rest of his uniquely "Amero/Frankish" works...

63681.jpg

out 1-10, and only 19.99 at Dvdplanet.com!

I need to get the MTM DVDs.

I've got the first two Newhart sets and can confirm that they stand the test of time. This shit is still funny...

These two shows were perhaps the funniest and the most lasting of the 1970s...

Both topical and timeless...

Isn't there a "Hiya, Shorty" scene (or equivalent) in The Man With the Golden Arm?

I just got the DVD for Christmas--I'll have to keep an ear cocked for that.

Let me know.

It's a very good movie, nevertheless.

I wish I had a "Kim Novak" in my corner...

Just finished watching Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Samourai on the recent Criterion DVD releae.

Essential. Perhaps the most silent film made in the sound era.

Bob le Flambeur is still my favorite Melville film; but this one may be the more universally "great" masterpiece to go under his authorship.

I'm glad I own both and I look forward to getting the rest of his uniquely "Amero/Frankish" works...

Have you seen The Red Circle? Also essential Melville, also out on Criterion.